World Junior Hockey Championship

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Post by the truth »

i agree the coaching was horrible at best
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote:i agree the coaching was horrible at best

Being they are only teenagers, they need someone pushing & motivating them. Sometimes those rare players come along that only need direction, they have the push & self motivation.
Last years team had actually a number of those types, this year had lacking of that.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

that's for sure....................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Every team had players of roughly the same age yet the Fins played much more disciplined and participated in far less hot dogging than did the Canadians. Canadian players were indecisive and when they were pushed, they reacted like adolescents might be expected to.

Emotion got the better of several of their top players. 3 power plays negated due to penalties.

from the beginning of the tournament, they simply looked vulnerable with gaping weaknesses.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Coaches make decisions that win tournaments, and coaches make decisions that lose tournaments. Pat Quinn had no issues with Canadian kids playing undisciplined to the point of losing games; Sutter had no issues with discipline with another group of Canadian boys, so why did this year's coach have so much trouble in this area? I don't think he dealt with this very important issue!
http://www.hockeyspy.ca/lowry-didnt-coach-to-win/
Last edited by Treblehook on Jan 3rd, 2016, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Treblehook wrote:Coaches make decisions that win tournaments, and coaches make decisions that lose tournaments. Pat Quinn had no issues with Canadian kids playing undisciplined to the point of losing games; Sutter had no issues with discipline with another group of Canadian boys, so why did this year's coach have so much trouble in this area? I don't think he dealt with this very important issue!

The players under Pat Quinn & Brent Sutter were able to get themselves out of hole they dug, this years team was unable to do that.
Looking back at rosters of these 2 coaches at WJC, all I can say is Wow. Look at what they have done since (not all).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

That article sums it up nicely.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Its all over for this year:
Gold- Finland
Silver- Russia
Bonze- USA
Sweden
Czech Republic
Canada
Slovakia
Denmark
Switzerland
Belarus
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

way to go finland,great game :130:
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bump

It's almost time for 2017 World Juniors, just around the corner.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Bump

Canada, by no means is favored. One major concern is goal keeping, but across the board it won't be the strongest team we've put forward.

At least I doubt we will be watching games with half the seats empty, although it will be interesting how the attendance goes. I understand the ticket prices are more than charged in other world jurisdictions for the U20 Tournament.

I guess that's another question, should Hockey Canada, charge as much as they can, or should they charge a fair price proportionate to amounts charged elsewhere in the world for the World Junior Tournament.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Merkley one of the last cuts last year and one of the first this year..........wonder what's up.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Bump

my5cents wrote:Canada, by no means is favored. One major concern is goal keeping, but across the board it won't be the strongest team we've put forward.

At least I doubt we will be watching games with half the seats empty, although it will be interesting how the attendance goes. I understand the ticket prices are more than charged in other world jurisdictions for the U20 Tournament.

I guess that's another question, should Hockey Canada, charge as much as they can, or should they charge a fair price proportionate to amounts charged elsewhere in the world for the World Junior Tournament.

You could be right about being favoured.
Of course thats not always a good thing, being favoured causes the team to have huge target on them. Because returning players as usually at a minimum, all I want to see on the ice by Team Canada is being competitive.
By being that they may make it into the next round, then anything can & usually does happen.

Hey, I would enjoy seeing Canada win Gold every year.... that's not really very realistic.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bubalouie wrote:Merkley one of the last cuts last year and one of the first this year..........wonder what's up.

Each year a different coach in CHL is selected, with that comes their idea for the team & its direction.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”