World Junior Hockey Championship

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Post by mexi cali »

Phewwwww. That was a nail biter.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ lol, Latvia has caused problems in the past.

Canada next game should be much more entertaining. Early start for new years eve match between Canada vs US.

12 noon Saturday pregame at 11:30
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Phewwwww. That was a nail biter.

Yup, ya just never know when a team will score a quick 8 goals in the last few minutes. :biggrin:
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mexicalidreamer wrote:Phewwwww. That was a nail biter.
my5cents wrote:Yup, ya just never know when a team will score a quick 8 goals in the last few minutes. :biggrin:

Maybe if Canada pulled the Goalie for the last 2 min they might have got 1 into an empty net.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

With those types of games, I really worry that one of our players will get injured in a dirty hit. I'm sure Latvia was frustrated.

Of course with their record, they should be used to it by now.

Am I getting used to the officiating ? or are the refs getting better ? (or should I say more in line with the rules we use)

I realize that it's likely stressed and stressed again that they are playing under IIHF rules, but I'm sure that has been the case for decades.

Last night the play by play and the color man were talking and one mentioned that he heard that in a game (IIHF sponsored) a player had his hands extended over the boards and was hit by the puck. The team was given a penalty for "Too Many Men on the Ice" - Isn't a crucial part of that being "on the ice" ?

Just had a thought, shouldn't that penalty be "Too Many Players (or People) on the Ice" :biggrin:
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote: mentioned that he heard that in a game (IIHF sponsored) a player had his hands extended over the boards and was hit by the puck. The team was given a penalty for "Too Many Men on the Ice" - Isn't a crucial part of that being "on the ice" ?

Just had a thought, shouldn't that penalty be "Too Many Players (or People) on the Ice" :biggrin:

Could just be called delay of game or interference, either way I guess they should just be sitting back and out of the way.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Finland will be cheering for Denmark in todays game, because a Swiss win sends Finland to the relegations game. Which would be huge drop from last years Golden Team to relegation.

Currently Denmark is up 4 to 1
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The call:

imo the goalie was already sliding backwards into the net, with nothing stopping him except the netting.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Wow, the Swiss battled back to win in the shotout.

So Finland is out & sent relegation against whomever ends up in 5th spot in Group B.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:2 holiday traditional tournaments begin today, first off what this thread is all about WJC. The other is the Sengler Cup (for Kelowna Rocket fans, 1 of backup goalies is Jordon Cooke).

in both tournaments I'm cheering for Canada, my avatar my have given that away.

Canada wins 2016 Sengler Cup, Congratulations
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Been seeing Canadian domination in under 18 hockey & Ivan Hlinka tournaments fading.
Hockey Canada maybe needs to do update on hockey excellence program, look to put out an 2.0 version.

Time will tell if my suspicions are true & US, Sweden & Finland are catching up to us.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Quarter finals are set:

Sweden vs Slovakia
USA vs Switzerland
Canada vs Czech Republic
Denmark vs Russia

Disappointing loss to US, our juniors hopefully learn something and will move on to the next game.

Added later: Canada could get US again in Semi-Finals
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 1st, 2017, 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Those 2 PP goals US had early on turned out to be the game changer. Canada could not really capitalize on the PP opportunities they have. Also seems like Canada always tries to go for that perfect shot instead of just getting pucks to the net and hope for a rebound or something.
Life is too sho......
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

jaz301 wrote:Those 2 PP goals US had early on turned out to be the game changer. Canada could not really capitalize on the PP opportunities they have. Also seems like Canada always tries to go for that perfect shot instead of just getting pucks to the net and hope for a rebound or something.

Discipline is something Team Canada has to learn because penalties loss them the game.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Quarter finals are set:

Sweden vs Slovakia
USA vs Switzerland
Canada vs Czech Republic
Denmark vs Russia

Canada could get US again in Semi-Finals

Happy New Year hockey & non hockey fans.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”