50371
50254

World Junior Hockey Championship

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Dec 29th, 2017, 8:02 pm

jaz301 wrote:Once again Canada had a lead and then takes the foot off the gas and loses the game. We should still beat Denmark and take 1st in group, but Canada is going to need to step up their game for the finals.

As for the outdoor game itself I hope they never do another one in a tournament like this. The ice conditions were just awful near the end. A tournament like this should not have a game like this where every game is important.

Within an 82 game regular season having outdoor game is fine, to make it equal the NHL would have to have an outdoor game during the play-offs.
Short round robin tournament is no place for an outdoor game impo.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Dec 30th, 2017, 5:08 pm

jaz301 wrote:Once again Canada had a lead and then takes the foot off the gas and loses the game. We should still beat Denmark and take 1st in group, but Canada is going to need to step up their game for the finals.

As for the outdoor game itself I hope they never do another one in a tournament like this. The ice conditions were just awful near the end. A tournament like this should not have a game like this where every game is important.


Canada should be able to beat Denmark tonight, key word should.

Added later (unless IIHF change the format, it should look like this)

(current standing has it look like this)
A1 vs B4 (Canada vs Switzerland)
A2 vs B3 (Finland vs Russia )
A3 vs B2 (USA vs Czech Republic)
A4 vs B1 (Slovakia vs Sweden)
this could change with tomorrows games
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Dec 31st, 2017, 10:26 am

GordonH wrote:Just seen how Czech Republic treated an maintenance person on the ice, impo IIHF needs to fine the team for stupidity.
Shooting pucks at someone with absolutely no protection equals idiots, shame on you.


Good to see the players involved actually went and apologize to young ice maintenance person.
I still don't believe it should have happened.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Dec 31st, 2017, 1:16 pm

Team Canada quarter finals match is set:
Canada vs Switzerland at 1pm PST Tuesday

Winner move on to Semi-finals

Currently on the ice is the US vs Finland to see who ends up in second place in Group A

Urbane likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Jan 1st, 2018, 6:07 am

Quarter final matchup for tomorrow as follows:
9am game Finland vs Czech Republic
1pm game Canada vs Switzerland (this one most interested in, of course)
3pm game Slovakia vs Sweden
5pm game USA vs Russia (this one could be a hell of a game)

it's been very good hockey, unfortunately no games today.

the truth likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby my5cents » Jan 1st, 2018, 12:42 pm

I see the "good" old TSN play by play and color person are still announcing the score of other games taking place.

Sorta counter productive, when they are televising both and many are taping the overlapping games.

I guess they've never heard of PVRs, or don't care.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3260
Likes: 624 posts
Liked in: 915 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby johnny24 » Jan 1st, 2018, 1:32 pm

my5cents wrote:I see the "good" old TSN play by play and color person are still announcing the score of other games taking place.

Sorta counter productive, when they are televising both and many are taping the overlapping games.

I guess they've never heard of PVRs, or don't care.


I'm sure TSN has heard of PVR's, and the probably don't care if they upset those ten people.
johnny24
Fledgling
 
Posts: 293
Likes: 55 posts
Liked in: 176 posts
Joined: Jan 25th, 2011, 8:16 am

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby my5cents » Jan 1st, 2018, 2:24 pm

johnny24 wrote:I'm sure TSN has heard of PVR's, and the probably don't care if they upset those ten people.


Really ? When there are 4 games in one day and a couple are overlapping, do you really think there are only a few recording ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3260
Likes: 624 posts
Liked in: 915 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby johnny24 » Jan 1st, 2018, 2:36 pm

my5cents wrote:
johnny24 wrote:I'm sure TSN has heard of PVR's, and the probably don't care if they upset those ten people.


Really ? When there are 4 games in one day and a couple are overlapping, do you really think there are only a few recording ?


Yes. Hockey isn't a game with mass appeal. Not too many people will tune in to a game if one of their teams is not in the game. That was shown two years ago when there was no Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs.

I'm not sure if the ratings for TSN games includes people that recorded it. If it doesn't, then TSN won't care.
johnny24
Fledgling
 
Posts: 293
Likes: 55 posts
Liked in: 176 posts
Joined: Jan 25th, 2011, 8:16 am

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Jan 1st, 2018, 2:52 pm

johnny24 wrote:I'm sure TSN has heard of PVR's, and the probably don't care if they upset those ten people.

my5cents wrote:Really ? When there are 4 games in one day and a couple are overlapping, do you really think there are only a few recording ?

johnny24 wrote:Yes. Hockey isn't a game with mass appeal. Not too many people will tune in to a game if one of their teams is not in the game. That was shown two years ago when there was no Canadian teams in the NHL playoffs.

I'm not sure if the ratings for TSN games includes people that recorded it. If it doesn't, then TSN won't care.


10 teams = 20 games in round robin in 6 days, giving each team roughly the same amount of off time. With this it needs 2 venues, overlap is going to happen. I watched as many as possible without recording any.
Of course throw into the mix having Spengler Cup on as well = hell of a lot of hockey in short amount of time.

With games overlapping tomorrow it means prioritizing

Added later: so my games tomorrow will be Canada vs Switzerland & USA vs Russia. If I get to see some of the other games okay, if not oh well.

the truth likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby the truth » Jan 1st, 2018, 2:58 pm

correct and the most important one is
canada vs switzerland
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 13015
Likes: 7868 posts
Liked in: 4652 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Jan 1st, 2018, 3:02 pm

the truth wrote:correct and the most important one is
canada vs switzerland


Yep, I'm also curious to see how well the US may or may not handle the Russian team

Sweden should steamroll over Slovakia

Finland & Czech Republic should be tight match, to close to call (impo)
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby my5cents » Jan 1st, 2018, 5:05 pm

GordonH wrote:10 teams = 20 games in round robin in 6 days, giving each team roughly the same amount of off time. With this it needs 2 venues, overlap is going to happen. I watched as many as possible without recording any.
Of course throw into the mix having Spengler Cup on as well = hell of a lot of hockey in short amount of time.
With games overlapping tomorrow it means prioritizing
Added later: so my games tomorrow will be Canada vs Switzerland & USA vs Russia. If I get to see some of the other games okay, if not oh well.


Or......

PVR, each game takes 60 minutes +/- to watch each game verses, what, 2¼ - 2½ hours, if we're talking 4 games that's a lot. Also, I can watch when I want.

That's when the games are in North America, when in Europe even more important.

Crowds in attendance, even when the USA is playing aren't that big. Will be different next year.

If they never do another outside game it will be too soon, whoever agreed to that, is a moron.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3260
Likes: 624 posts
Liked in: 915 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Jan 2nd, 2018, 2:16 pm

GordonH wrote:10 teams = 20 games in round robin in 6 days, giving each team roughly the same amount of off time. With this it needs 2 venues, overlap is going to happen. I watched as many as possible without recording any.
Of course throw into the mix having Spengler Cup on as well = hell of a lot of hockey in short amount of time.
With games overlapping tomorrow it means prioritizing
Added later: so my games tomorrow will be Canada vs Switzerland & USA vs Russia. If I get to see some of the other games okay, if not oh well.

my5cents wrote:Or......

PVR, each game takes 60 minutes +/- to watch each game verses, what, 2¼ - 2½ hours, if we're talking 4 games that's a lot. Also, I can watch when I want.

That's when the games are in North America, when in Europe even more important.

Crowds in attendance, even when the USA is playing aren't that big. Will be different next year.

If they never do another outside game it will be too soon, whoever agreed to that, is a moron.


Don't have a PVR
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: World Junior Hockey Championship

Postby GordonH » Jan 2nd, 2018, 2:20 pm

It's looking like a blowout by Canada, shame about Carter Harts shutout though.

Barring a total meltdown by Canada, they will meet Czech Republic in the Semi's.

the truth likes this post.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18700
Likes: 1918 posts
Liked in: 6100 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

PreviousNext

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests