Workin' Out

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Fixer 166
Guru

Re: Workin' Out

Post by Fixer 166 »

WhatThe, good question. Did some quick google and it seems to depend on if you're trying to loose weight or get ripped. For the most part it seems eating less, more is the way to go. Six smaller meals per day. Do some reading to find out whats right for you. I learned I need to up my protien intake.

Some good work being done out there. Bike rides from dt to the airport, excellent, and walking to the gym, I love it.
Lady, how was the new gym?

Cardio day here. :nyah:

Make it a reward, not a cheat
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

going tonight for the first time, been doing Datura.com all week. Isolations are a LOT harder than they look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=uNz40pUMBu8

here are some examples of isolations, this is a preview clip from a tribal bellydance dvd you can get. The movements are actually easier when you "pop and lock", because you emphasise the movements strongly. About 23 seconds into if she does a chest circle. You use your obliques to slide your shoulders to one side, then use the muscles between your shoulder blades to pop your chest forward, obliques to slide to the other side, then upper abodominals contract to push the chest back. I've gotten to the part where I can do this (though not nearly with that range of motion) somewhat like it is supposed to be done. Smoothing it out like she does is waaaay harder because you have to coordinate the muscle groups to work overlapping, in a "baton hand off" manner.

Hip lifts can be done using separate muscle groups, you can push with glutes or lift with obliques. In training it you stand on one leg, and practice lifting or pushing the other hip, because you can't cheat and push off with your leg/toes at all.

All of it has to be done in correct postures, which is: feet hip width apart, knees slightly bent with weight over your heels, pelvis in neutral (abs slightly contracted), back straight, shoulders down and back (like in yoga), head tall and ears over your shoulders. And of course, all of it has to be done in isolation, moving only the one muscle or muscle group at a time, keeping the rest of the body perfectly still. Like I said, surprisingly hard . . . I am brand-new beginner and I figure I'll be working at this for a while before it looks like it ought.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

So far The Women's Place is a nice gym. We're on free trial pass for a week, and after that we'll probably do monthly. Friend's mom made it through the class smiling; the instructor gave us various levels so that we were all able to have a good workout according to our own abilities.

I haven't decided if I'm doing zumba or yoga today. I prefer the zumba, but I could really use the flexibility that will come with yoga . . .

One of the hardest things about being a mom is the unstable nature of my day-to-day schedule. More than once I've had to miss a class because of kid or husband related reasons. I'm not going to give up though, because I can be a better mom/wife when I exercise; healthier, happier with more energy. Exercise also = less downtime due to illness.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

You are Awesome Lady, great attitude.

Half hour on the elliptical this morning with the last 5 mins going backwards. Its a whole different game in reverse.
Slamming a shake, blueberries, strawberries, an apple, milk, juice, protein powder and ice. Delish!
Then its off to trampoline & tumbling with munchkin #2
Go Go Go

Don't find time to work out, Make Time
:sunshine:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Thx Fix,

Sounds like you are going to have a great day! Way to set an example for your kids :smt023

I have been to my first yoga class. Let the record show I currently have the flexibility of a dried stick. :127: This will change. It won't be easy, but my joints will be a lot happier once I increase my range of movement.

Today is a bunch of walking with friends, followed by garden clean-up. I need to turn soil, fork over the compost, rake leaves and prune a tree. I have noticed a strong core and awareness of good posture makes a real difference when doing chores like that, less likely to injure myself.

Tomorrow is yoga AND zumba, one class right after the other. Looking forward to it, saw the tail-end of the zumba class last night and the instructor appears to be a really good one.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Lady tehMa wrote:So far The Women's Place is a nice gym. We're on free trial pass for a week, and after that we'll probably do monthly. Friend's mom made it through the class smiling; the instructor gave us various levels so that we were all able to have a good workout according to our own abilities.

I haven't decided if I'm doing zumba or yoga today. I prefer the zumba, but I could really use the flexibility that will come with yoga . . .

One of the hardest things about being a mom is the unstable nature of my day-to-day schedule. More than once I've had to miss a class because of kid or husband related reasons. I'm not going to give up though, because I can be a better mom/wife when I exercise; healthier, happier with more energy. Exercise also = less downtime due to illness.

I highly recommend the H20 Center. There is a wide variety of people that use the gym and they offer free classes and personal trainers. If your kids are older they can go swimming while you work out.

I look forward to my workouts. It's my only time when I'm not looking out for other's needs and my brain actually calms down for awhile.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I didn't go to the gym today.

That makes five years in a row.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

That's almost as old as that joke
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

OK, how about ...

I wasn’t planning on going for a run today,

but those cops came outta nowhere.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Ahahaha, well done.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I hate running. I've never done much of it, and I don't know how people do it on every day basis. I think if I was a tiny woman or a nancified man without testicles, I'd get it, but I really see no point in it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

Did 6 beer curls tonight .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Nice XJ, that's like 1800 calories, or 3hrs on the elliptical.
I'm with ya Lloyd, I'm not a runner, unless I'm being chased and you prolly wont catch me. I have a pedal bike for that.
Just finished a weight circuit, chasing it with a shake.
Best part of having a gym in the house, working out in your pj's.

You will notice in 4 weeks
Your friends will notice in 8 weeks
The world will notice in 12 weeks
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Fixer 166 wrote: Best part of having a gym in the house, working out in your pj's.

:smt023 I'm with ya 100% there. Coffee ready on auto start when I get up, some stretching, warm-up and core, and then watch the news while hiking uphill on the treadmill. Normally follow this up with some circuit traing on my Smith Machine.

Not this morning though. Twenty-five minutes on the treadmill and I was done? Was wondering what the deal was and then I heard them talking about the effects of the time change on the news. Any other morning trainers notice an unusual lack of energy this am?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

yes, I'll be in "zombie mode" for about a week. I have no idea why offsetting my natural rhythms by an hour does this, but it does. Both ways.

Tonight is a class called "Ab Solution & Bottom Line". If I have enough energy after that I'll think about zumba. The zumba instruction we have is a very petite lady from Peru, she's a firecracker and one of the easiest to follow I've ever had. I really enjoyed the class she taught yesterday. The yoga instructor was pretty neat too, they have more than one yoga instructor. One set of classes is co-taught by two ladies, the other (the one I did yesterday) is taught by an older lady who is also a personal trainer. Both classes are quite good (from a beginner's viewpoint).

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”