Workin' Out

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Re: Workin' Out

Post by xjeepguy »

What do you work out peeps think of those Bow Flex machines ?
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

gman313 wrote:On the yoga note.....

I ride a bike everyday and am getting in good shape but i am very NOT flexible, really bad. I will get hurt eventually.

What is the best type of yoga or other program for increasing flexiblity? Downtown area ideally

I don't know a lot about the different types of yoga yet. I've heard "Kriplau" yoga is supposed to good for shoulder and hip flexibility especially.

There are a lot of studios in the downtown area. A friend of mine swears by Oranj (and it is a lovely gym). Oranj is on Lawrence.
According to google (yoga downtown kelowna) there is also Bikram Yoga on Lawrence, Kelowna Hot Yoga on Ellis, Kelowna Yoga house on St. Paul and the Hot Box Yoga on Bernard.

Hopefully someone has had experiences with some of those and can recommend one for you, I've had no personal experience with any of them (I've been to Oranj, but not for yoga). If not, some places will do free trials so you can check them out. Or you could do a one time drop in - just make sure to let them know you are a beginner or you might end up in the wrong level of class :s
I haven't failed until I quit.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

If you are interested in Kripalu, Trinity Yoga is the place.

http://www.trinityyogacenter.com/about-us/our-lineage/

The owners/head instructors have studied extensively and lived at the Kripalu Yoga Centre.
They brought Yogi Amrit Desai to Kelowna last year. He is the FOUNDER of Kripalu yoga.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Thanks for the correction on the name gg, I've only seen it the once. Do you take it yourself? I had to do some searching but found that this one is located out in the mission, by Manteo (is that right?).
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I don't attend, but I have met the owners and have seen some of their classes.
I think they "live" yoga as opposed to doing it for exercise only.
I think their studio is in the small strip mall on Gordon where the Mission Post Office is located.

I don't go to a gym. I like a lot of variety. Lately I am doing about 20 minutes of yoga/pilates stretching, some arm curls, tricep kickbacks with 5lb weights and 15 minutes on the stationary bike. Some days I walk for 30-40 minutes. Some days, 10 minutes on the vibration trainer and yoga. I do whatever strikes my fancy. Once it gets warm, I prefer to work outside to working out.
I have a reel mower so cutting the lawn a couple times a week is a pretty good workout.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think I'm more comfortable with people who teach yoga as an exercise. The whole "live yoga" thing gives me Amway vibes *shudders*.

It is great that you are disciplined enough to get your exercise without a gym, I am not. I get doing other things and proper exercise doesn't get done. By proper I mean working on things that are definite weak points (like my flexibility). I spent 3 hours today out in the garden putting my hardened off perennials in the garden (daisies, delphium, foxglove etc.). Digging and planting and then cleaning out a garden bed afterwards was good exercise, but it doesn't address my poor range of motion through my shoulders - yoga this morning did that. Worked on my hamstrings too, it's a wonder I'm not crippled they're so tight. :s
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Gym time.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Good morning
Sunday is not a day of rest.
Attachments
image.jpg
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:coffeecanuck: My yoga class didn't look anything like that! Might have had more flexibility that way though . . . :-k

Doing two classes back to back really takes it out of you the zumba class after yoga really kicked my butt. I am finding zumba to be higher cardio than bellyfit, though I enjoy them both.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Started the week off right

Whenever I read the word Zumba, I sing a song inside my head, Zumba Zumba Zuumba.
Makes me laugh,...whateves.

One workout stronger than yesterday.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

OMG.

I'd like to work out with her!

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

She sure has nice proportions . . . a lot of body builders seem rather cartoonish. She looks a lot more natural.

*sighs* I am missing my gym time. Chiro has me taking it easy until Friday, and even then it will be "easing back into it". Between all the Zumba (zumba zummmba!), bellyfit and yoga I somehow managed to throw my hip out. At least I can walk. And sitting on a stability ball instead of a chair really works the upper back muscles.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Crazy Lady, take it easy and speedy recovery.

Night off here, out for din with friends. Thinking healthy though. Salmon burger and a tall spicy caesar instead of a beer.
Crazy thing I've heard. Guinness has less calories than coors light. True or not true?
Diet is 75%
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

xjeepguy wrote:What do you work out peeps think of those Bow Flex machines ?

Way too heavy to carry in from your doorstep when they deliver it.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Fixer 166 wrote:Crazy Lady, take it easy and speedy recovery.

Thx fix, but I am behaving, really! When you put your back or hip out, sitting is a no-no. Standing or laying is what you're supposed to do. I'm an admin, I type for a living, which is not something I can do easily as I work on a desktop setup. So, while sitting isn't optimal, it is preferable to sit on a stability ball versus a chair. I am taking breaks to lay down and to do my stretches. I forgot to bring my ball this morning though :( and now my leg keeps going numb >.< More breaks I guess, and pull out the icepack. Good thing I'm only working part time atm.

You are right about diet though, it is highly important. I am having a heck of a time getting my family to eat well, despite providing them with good food :s

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”