Best place for star-gazing?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
kenoash

Re: Best place for Star gazing?

Post by kenoash »

rotti wrote:If you want to truely experience a magnificent number of stars take a reclining patio chair, a thermos full of hot chocolate and Baileys and head to Sunset Main turnoff past the Pennask Summit. You are on top of the Okanagan and the sky is clear with no light pollution. It is well worth the drive and I have done it many times and the sunrise is out of this world! I have also gone up when the meteor showers are forecast and always saw way more than you would any where in the city. Take some friends and make a night of it.(I am NOT endorsing drinking and driving)

Hi Rotti, can you please do me a favour and point it where exactly you stargazed on google map? I got to hwy 97c and sunset lake but wasn't sure that's where you described it. It doesn't seem like a high ground to me. Planning on renting a truck full of cushions, blankets and nap under the stars with my girlfriend. Hot chocolate and Baileys of course.

Thanks Rotti
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

It's a whole lot more work to go up Sunset Main than it is to go up 33.

Close to town, go up 33, go to the top of Goudie, the city light pollution is hidden by Black Knight Mountain. It's less than 15 minutes.

A little further, out to the Observatory grounds on Big White road and the club will probably let you look through their powerful telescopes. About 25 minutes.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

I've actually seen a stargazing group set up at the loon lake turn off . It's well insulated from light pollution . By Kentucky aleyne
Strong and free
oko11
Fledgling

Post by oko11 »

just go to peachland and turn right on Princeton. drive up past the municipal yard. very dark, beautiful view

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”