IIHF World Championship in Hockey

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: IIHF World Championship in Hockey

Post by GordonH »

^^^ as you wait Bronze game is on at 7:15
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So many of American NHL players turn down going to the Worlds, US team made up of many young players. They did not have enough to beat Russia, they did have enough to beat Czech Republic for Bronze.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Canada has dominanted the Russians threw first 2 periods, now Russians are a third period team. So no taking the foot off the pedal by Canada in 3rd.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Canada has dominanted the Russians threw first 2 periods, now Russians are a third period team. So no taking the foot off the pedal by Canada in 3rd.

Congratulations to Undefeated Team Canada

Hell of a win
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

So, what made this team so much dominate since Canada last won the WC back in 2007? I can't remember a Canadian team out-playing a team in the Gold Medal game as much as they did against a very good Russian squad who were not very good at all in this particular game. Was it the presence of Sidney Crosby and his leadership? It goes to show that Canada could send two teams to the IIHF World Hockey Championship or to the Winter Olympics and come away with both Gold and Silver.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Its been commented at this tournament by other countries coaches & staff. This was one of the fastest Canadian teams they have seen, plus the commitment to defense Russia had 13 shots on goal totally for entire game. They took away chances from other teams

Added: this does not always happen, its because players were available just in right combination.
As well some of the others countries top available players declined invitation.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Straight Shooter wrote:So, what made this team so much dominate since Canada last won the WC back in 2007? I can't remember a Canadian team out-playing a team in the Gold Medal game as much as they did against a very good Russian squad who were not very good at all in this particular game. Was it the presence of Sidney Crosby and his leadership? It goes to show that Canada could send two teams to the IIHF World Hockey Championship or to the Winter Olympics and come away with both Gold and Silver.

This tournament has nothing in common with the old Canada Cup games or Olympic games. These are teams thrown together with scraps, it just turns out Canada has better scraps to choose from. These teams are FAR from being a proper representation of their country which is partly why nobody puts much value in the IIHF tourney.

I think the USA team had 12 or 13 players who had never even played for the USA before in any way. I'm glad Canada won but it was pretty much a given before the tourney even started.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ This is why I enjoy the World Junior Championship so much.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Straight Shooter wrote:t goes to show that Canada could send two teams to the IIHF World Hockey Championship or to the Winter Olympics and come away with both Gold and Silver.

That's just it. You look at the World juniors and Olympics training camps and how many good players end up getting cut because there is just too much talent to fit into one team. I know the world under 17 championships Canada has like 5 teams, but that is splitting it up too much I think.
Life is too sho......
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the truth wrote:to bad ovechkin flew all the way back just for a sliver medal,lol

lol wooooooooooooooooo
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bumped 2016 IIHF World Championship is on in Moscow & St. Petersburg, Russia

http://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada
http://www.iihfworlds2016.com

Canada beat USA in first preliminary round game, score 5 to 1
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Only 2 undefeated teams remain:
Canada and Finland

Canada has 2 games remaining in preliminary round, France on Monday & Finland on Tuesday.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Canada is getting beaten by Finland 4 to 0, currently halfway threw 3rd.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Possible Quarter Final matchup:
Finland vs Denmark
Canada vs Sweden
Russia vs Germany
Czech Republic vs USA
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

canada vs Sweden should be fun--GO CANADA GO-- :130:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”