Firearms enthusiasts only.

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
jimsenchuk
Lord of the Board

Re: Firearms enthusiasts only.

Post by jimsenchuk »

Nice rife, good for larger game like moose & elk. $500 was big money back then wages were like $1.50-$5 / hr.
It's nice that you have a keepsake like that, did you go on any hunts with your dad?

Yes i went hunting with my dad every year, we got our moose and deer every yr. I remember the last hunt i went on with him, we spotted a cow and calf, so he got out(they were about 800 yrs away) he took the first shot and hit the knee of the cow and it blew right off, he reset and dialed in the scope and next shot he hit the cow right in the ear, and down she went(dad was a marksman and light machine gunner in WW2), he used the 300 mag and i used my uncles WW1 30-06 sniper rifle, well that is what he said it was, super accurate rifle, had the pop up site where you could dial it up to 1,000 yards i think, beautiful rifle, on the butt of the rifle it had a cleaning kit in the stock.
The only effective answer to organized greed is organized labor.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

I had a look thru a fellow shooter's G7 rifle scope last time I was at the range. Amazing what I could see at 22 power compared to my good ol' 3x9x40 Leupy at 300 yards.

I don't expect to be doing any ultra-long range shooting, but have taken deer at 400 yards before with my 7mm Rem Mag, which is a super accurate rifle. One shot through the boiler room and straight down!

I like the ballistics of the 270 WSM. Very similar to the 7mm Rem Mag, but with the short action. Anyone have any short mag experience?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Rwede wrote:I had a look thru a fellow shooter's G7 rifle scope last time I was at the range. Amazing what I could see at 22 power compared to my good ol' 3x9x40 Leupy at 300 yards.

I don't expect to be doing any ultra-long range shooting, but have taken deer at 400 yards before with my 7mm Rem Mag, which is a super accurate rifle. One shot through the boiler room and straight down!

I like the ballistics of the 270 WSM. Very similar to the 7mm Rem Mag, but with the short action. Anyone have any short mag experience?

Nightforce and US Optics are out of my reach but there are many good scopes at a 1/4 the cost and have glass almost as good.
I think glass is less important than repeatability and accuracy of the turrets.
I have 2 long range scopes 6-24 x 50 on my .300 win mag and 6-25 x 56 on my .338 Lapua.
I don't own a 7mm but they have become known as a good long range round.

http://www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html
"Long recognized as a superb choice for hunters, the 7mm (.284) bore size is now attracting great interest among long-range match shooters as well. The 7mm occupies the "sweet spot" between 6.5mm and 30 caliber--with an optimal balance between bullet weight and BC. It's hard to beat 7mm ballistics with either a 6.5mm or a reasonably-sized 30, and the 7mm will give longer barrel life than a 6.5 mm with less recoil than a 30-caliber (of equal BC). To match the ballistics of a 7mm 180gr VLD with a 30-caliber bullet, you must move up dramatically in bullet weight--to a 210gr or larger bullet. To drive the heavier 30-caliber bullet at similar velocities, you'll need more powder. More powder and a much heavier bullet weight means more recoil (and attendant fatigue) for the 30-caliber shooter. The combination of great ballistics with manageable recoil has made the 7mm cartridge a favorite among long-range prone and benchrest shooters. The chamberings of choice are the .284 Winchester, 7mm Winchester Short Magnum (7mm WSM), and 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra-Magnum (7mm SAUM). For silhouette shooters and hunters, the 7mm-08 is a top choice (but not the only choice)."
Last edited by steelrules on Sep 5th, 2013, 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
underscore
Übergod

Post by underscore »

Personally I don't own any powderburners but I greatly enjoy my air rifles, obviously the range is reduced but the cost is as well. And they're more than capable for hunting the wild popcans I enjoy going after :)
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My favourite firearm is our 12 gauge. I'm a big fan of skeet shooting. I'm getting pretty good at it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
ixler8
Board Meister

Post by ixler8 »

I went to the gun show/sale in Vernon on the weekend , lot's of guns to choose from , anyone like the Russia SKS's ? And does anyone know where you can get left handed guns.
Don't worry ,about a thing.
cause, every little thing is gonna be alright.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I don't know anyone who has an SKS that isn't happy with it. It will become one of your most used firearms.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

ixler8 wrote:... anyone like the Russia SKS's ?

They're good and cheap. But make sure you buy Soviet SKS's, not Chinese or Romanian/Czech/Eastern Bloc. They cost a bit more, but the quality is way way better. That goes for most Soviet firearms including handguns.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

ixler8 wrote:I went to the gun show/sale in Vernon on the weekend , lot's of guns to choose from , anyone like the Russia SKS's ? And does anyone know where you can get left handed guns.

I forgot about the gun show in Vernon, had to work anyway. SKS's are great! I got mine from Chris Weber, a 1954 with Flawless blueing, silver bolt and a flawless laminated stock. Grouse River has a crate or two as well I looked through theirs and they are mostly the nice laminated stocks as well.

Left handed rifles are available, Savage has them in almost every caliber http://savagearms.com/ most of the local shops are Savage dealers.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I used to shoot black powder with my dad and very much regret selling my sweet little .36 when I went off to college :/

Does anyone know how much it costs to get a PAL? I'd like to start target shooting again and my dad is possibly going to gift me his black powder rifles.

I went to the summer games one year, though I didn't win any medals. I could place 5 rounds in an 8 inch circle at 200 yards though; free standing, open sights.
I haven't failed until I quit.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Lady tehMa wrote:I used to shoot black powder with my dad and very much regret selling my sweet little .36 when I went off to college :/

Does anyone know how much it costs to get a PAL? I'd like to start target shooting again and my dad is possibly going to gift me his black powder rifles.

I went to the summer games one year, though I didn't win any medals. I could place 5 rounds in an 8 inch circle at 200 yards though; free standing, open sights.

There's a local Black powder club, I think they are affiliated with the Joe Rich Sportsman's Association, looks like fun!
http://ve7mvf.wix.com/blackpowder-club
Getting your PAL, you'll have to take a PAL course or just take the challenge if you feel confident. I would buy the course guide first and study it. Then submit your application to the Canadian Firearms center.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/info ... er-eng.htm

There are a number of people here in the valley teaching the course, they can be easily found with a quick search.
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Thank you steelrules, it has been long enough I'd feel more comfortable with the course than straight out challenging.

I have probably forgotten a lot of what I used to know :/
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Lady tehMa wrote:Thank you steelrules, it has been long enough I'd feel more comfortable with the course than straight out challenging.

You can take Canadian Firearms course (either Restricted or non-restricted), they usually teach everything you need to know to pass PAL exams. Includes a day of instructions, so roughly 8 hours. Four more hours if you want to take restricted course (handguns and scary looking weapons). The cost last time I checked was around $100 per course but you can get a deal if you take both.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Thx Cap'n A, I think I might take both then. Dad has a few antique handguns from his Dad, and I'm the only kid with interest in them. I don't know as I'd fire them, but I'd like to know how and be allowed to own them.

Husband used to have a mini-ruger 14 which he sold so he could stay on paternity leave when our eldest was born. That thing was expensive to fire, went through bullets like crazy!
As of now though, the only firearm we have is son's pellet rifle, and that is not even located in town (can't fire it here in town as I understand so we keep it up at the inlaws where we can set up cans and ping away).
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

For my fellow gun owners out there, if you don't know about this you should, because you never know, even if you've done nothing wrong.
Legal Expense Insurance for Gun Owners
http://www.firearmlegaldefence.com/
Edward R Murrow
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”