Firearms enthusiasts only.

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Firearms enthusiasts only.

Post by Glacier »

For reals, bucko.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/News/ ... story.html

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said Wednesday he wants to give police the ability to track every firearm in Canada through some form of a gun registry – just not the one the country had under the Liberals.

Mulcair said he wouldn’t reconstitute the long-gun registry, which the Tories did away with in 2012. He said the registry, brought in by the previous Liberal government, had serious problems that needed to be addressed.

Mulcair didn’t say exactly what an NDP gun registry would look like, but said the party was working with “teams” and “people who are in the field” to design an effective tracking system.

The NDP leader made the comments days before the 25th anniversary of the shooting at Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal. Fourteen women were killed in the Dec. 6, 1989 attack by a lone gunman who then killed himself.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

He should just leave well enough alone. I'm happy with the laws right where they are. I feel we have a nice balance of freedom and regulation. I am all for counting how many firearms are sold through retailers and having a general idea how many are in the country but there's no need to track each one. It's costly and ineffective.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/News/10436764/story.html

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair said Wednesday he wants to give police the ability to track every firearm in Canada through some form of a gun registry – just not the one the country had under the Liberals.

Mulcair said he wouldn’t reconstitute the long-gun registry, which the Tories did away with in 2012. He said the registry, brought in by the previous Liberal government, had serious problems that needed to be addressed.

Mulcair didn’t say exactly what an NDP gun registry would look like, but said the party was working with “teams” and “people who are in the field” to design an effective tracking system.

The NDP leader made the comments days before the 25th anniversary of the shooting at Ecole Polytechnique in Montreal. Fourteen women were killed in the Dec. 6, 1989 attack by a lone gunman who then killed himself.

That only works for those who follow the rules about gun ownership, which means pretty well all hunters in this country. Of course the criminal element does not follow any rules, along with those who don't want anyone to know they are armed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
monilynno
Board Meister

Post by monilynno »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Dec 17th, 2014, 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: cross posting
monilynno
Board Meister

Post by monilynno »

*removed*
Last edited by Jo on Dec 17th, 2014, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: READ THE RULES before posting again
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

twofingers wrote:Any idea where I can locate ammo for my vintage .308 Norma Magnum? (aside from US on-line)

Italian sporting goods in vancouver always used to carry the hard to find stuff.
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Supreme Court has just ruled that the federal government can destroy the entire long gun registry, including the Quebec data.
- Douglas Murray
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Glacier wrote:The Supreme Court has just ruled that the federal government can destroy the entire long gun registry, including the Quebec data.

Common sense prevailed.

The disgusting part was the three Quebec judges locking arms in solidarity and voting to retain it - based solely on their being from Quebec. When judges rule politically, they should immediately be tossed from the bench.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

So Quebec starts from scratch...what a waste of money by not letting them use the info already collected. The main thing is to make sure every gun owner is known to police, the type of weapons they have, if they store them properly, and if they are used in a crime they are held responsible. No if's or butt's.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

GrooveTunes wrote:So Quebec starts from scratch...what a waste of money by not letting them use the info already collected. The main thing is to make sure every gun owner is known to police, the type of weapons they have, if they store them properly, and if they are used in a crime they are held responsible. No if's or butt's.

Why should the police know every gun owner, or what firearms they have? The registry did nothing to ensure proper storage. Proper storage is required registered or not, and if you are complying with those laws then you can't really be held liable.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

GrooveTunes wrote:So Quebec starts from scratch...what a waste of money by not letting them use the info already collected. The main thing is to make sure every gun owner is known to police, the type of weapons they have, if they store them properly, and if they are used in a crime they are held responsible. No if's or butt's.

Obviously, you know nothing whatsoever about the firearms laws in Canada.

What else is new?

If you want police to know what type of "weapons" I have, shall I register my baseball bat and my kitchen knives too?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Glacier wrote:The Supreme Court has just ruled that the federal government can destroy the entire long gun registry, including the Quebec data.

Just a nice to know.

I recently jumped through the hoops to acquire a PAL. I used to have a POL and like a dummy let it expire. OK, so after carrying a Restricted weapon for over 25 years, I had to take a Firearms Safety Course. LOL, yes I could have challenged it but thought what ever. Not sure why Police and Military are not exempt, but what ever I never shot a urinal when practicing quick draw.

This is where is gets interesting. My old POL was screwed up by the Governments fat figures. A "E" is only one line above the "S" and they put my middle given as "S". As I thought there screw up and it took too long for them to give me a POL I carried it, yes likely not the right thing to do.

So now my PAL is applied for and I submit my old POL number as I was able to get it dug up. Well, what do you think happens. I now have to prove my middle name, no big deal. This is the funny part. They send me a secondary page, wanting to know if I have any restricted, prohibited or any weapons in my possession.

Huh, if you answer yes, you do not get a PAL, right because you are breaking the law. Why would they ask me this, and even when I enquired about how to prove my middle given with them they are shocked I get the questionnaire.

I believe, they pulled up my registration information which will show I registered a shot gun and a 22 cal. riffle. Thought the information was destroyed when the registry went out the door!

Don't fool yourself, it's obviously still there and accessible. I responded, no weapons in my possession which is true as I gave them away and now they are not in any data bank with the new owner.

Don't ever let your PAL expire and my advice if you own a gun keep it!! There will be a day where you won't be able to get one. Caution!
Not Bob
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Not Bob »

Just ask all the satisfied gun owners in High River about registration
"You're not really dead until there's no one who thinks about you any more." - Bertolt Brecht ~
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Here's a question for gun enthusiasts:

What firearm would you love to have but can't legally obtain in Canada?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”