Men's Winter Olympic Hockey

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 2014 Men's Olympic Hockey Team

Post by GordonH »

NHL may pull out if security becomes a factor http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/nhl-considers ... -1.1659591
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Steven Stamkos is out and Martin St. Louis is the replacement.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/s ... pic-roster
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I've been hearing a lot of news coverage about difference between IIHF ice surface size and NHL.

NHL size rink is 200ft X 85ft
IIHF size rink is 200.13ft X 98.43ft

Between the blue-lines:
NHL 50ft
IIHF 58ft
Between Blue-line and Goal-line
NHL 64ft
IIHF 58ft
Between Goal-line and back-boards
NHL 11ft
IIHF 13.065ft

So length is very similar, width is wider and 3 zones are different configuration.

Link to IIHF rink size http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_uplo ... rt_one.pdf
Link to NHL rink size http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26458
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Played a lot of hockey in Calgary and there are a few rinks with international dimensions. To just look at the numbers, it doesn't look like that big a difference but once you are on the ice, wow! changes the game for sure. Where once a slower player could pinch a faster skater out along the boards all of a sudden he wheels around you and is gone. That couple feet behind the net makes a world of difference as well.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

For the Canadian Men's team the only real challenge in Group "B" will happen Sunday against Finland.

Finland & Canada are tied at 6 points
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Steve-O wrote:Played a lot of hockey in Calgary and there are a few rinks with international dimensions. To just look at the numbers, it doesn't look like that big a difference but once you are on the ice, wow! changes the game for sure. Where once a slower player could pinch a faster skater out along the boards all of a sudden he wheels around you and is gone. That couple feet behind the net makes a world of difference as well.

For me that was the only downer of the Vancouver 2010 Olympics, that the hockey was played on an NHL size rink. I love the Olympic hockey, the talented players have so much more room to be creative without some giant ox grabbing them and holding them against the boards. I know they've tried to cut down on the grabbing and hooking but on this size rink the slower goons just can't operate. It's all about speed and skill, as the founders of the great game of hockey intended.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

GordonH wrote:For the Canadian Men's team the only real challenge in Group "B" will happen Sunday against Finland.

Finland & Canada are tied at 6 points

yeah I am thinking church attendance might be down a bit this Sunday....game starts at 9:00 am.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Green Barbarian wrote:yeah I am thinking church attendance might be down a bit this Sunday....game starts at 9:00 am.

That is unless they show the game in church, in which case attendance might be up.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The Green Barbarian wrote:yeah I am thinking church attendance might be down a bit this Sunday....game starts at 9:00 am.

Glacier wrote:That is unless they show the game in church, in which case attendance might be up.

I suspect many of the churches have huge screens, that would work. lol
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Canada needs Finland to push Team Canada as hard as US & Russia pushed each other earlier today.

Hell of a game between US & Russia, unfortunately had to miss the last period.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I will be interested to see how Slovenia does tomorrow against the US. They could be this Olympic's dark horse.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:Canada needs Finland to push Team Canada as hard as US & Russia pushed each other earlier today.

Hell of a game between US & Russia, unfortunately had to miss the last period.

I hope Russia chokes and does not win a medal
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Hmm.... sorry thats does not look like it's going to happen truth, so far they are playing hell of a lot better as a team then 4 years ago in Vancouver.

wait, watch and see
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well they lost this morning :]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”