Where to shoot?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Where to shoot?

Postby MeganR » Mar 16th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Does anybody know if is there a spot where I can practice shooting and sighting a rifle around West Kelowna? I'm not looking for a gun club, just for a place in the bushes where it is safe and legal to shoot a few rounds.
"There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing." -- Oscar Wilde
MeganR

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Where to shoot?

Postby mr.bandaid » Mar 17th, 2014, 10:54 am

It is safer far all if you go into town and use the dreaded gun club. I walk the hills behind West Kelowna all the time and in numerous places, ducking gun shots does not sound like a good time.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1618 posts

Postby logman » Mar 17th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Ill sugar coat it. Just drive up Glenrosa road to Jackpine. Bring some trash to shoot at like everyone else. Be sure to pick up all casings and garbage when done and have a nice day.
logman
Übergod

Liked in: 267 posts

Postby MeganR » Mar 17th, 2014, 6:15 pm

logman wrote:Ill sugar coat it. Just drive up Glenrosa road to Jackpine. Bring some trash to shoot at like everyone else. Be sure to pick up all casings and garbage when done and have a nice day.

Thank you, I will try that.
"There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing." -- Oscar Wilde
MeganR

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Mark5 » Mar 17th, 2014, 8:23 pm

I know a good spot that is closer but you will need a good 4x4. Email me as I do not want to tell too many people.
Mark5
Fledgling

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby Nick Adams » Mar 19th, 2014, 8:14 am

Ill sugar coat it. Just drive up Glenrosa road to Jackpine. Bring some trash to shoot at like everyone else. Be sure to pick up all casings and garbage when done and have a nice day.

Is it not illegal to discharge a gun on a Forest Service Road? Regardless of the legality it is reckless, dumb, and inconsiderate to use such a heavily trafficked area as an unofficial gun range. I have had several unnerving incidents while out skiing and dog walking in that area. Although I am generally in favor of guns and stuff I am definitely considering notifying the RCMP next time I encounter someone shooting in that area.
Nick Adams

Liked in: 0 post

Postby TylerM4 » Mar 19th, 2014, 9:15 am

Is it not illegal to discharge a gun on a Forest Service Road? Regardless of the legality it is reckless, dumb, and inconsiderate to use such a heavily trafficked area as an unofficial gun range. I have had several unnerving incidents while out skiing and dog walking in that area. Although I am generally in favor of guns and stuff I am definitely considering notifying the RCMP next time I encounter someone shooting in that area.

No, you cannot discharge a firearm on a FSR, you need to be 3 meters or more from the road. So while you can't shoot on the road, you don't have to go far off of the road.

I think you will be very dissapointed if you contact the RCMP. What are you going to say? "There were some people shooting in the area I wanted to hike through"? The law only says that firearms must be discharged in a safe mannor when on crown land. "Safe mannor" is more than a little vague. To get the RCMP's attention, you'd have to claim that they pointed the weapon in your direction. Or that you were already in the area and they started shooting in your general direction while you were clearly visable to them. You were nearly hit by a stray bullet, etc.

Shooting on crown land is legal so long as done in a safe mannor. Legally, there is nothing stopping someone from shooting on a busy section of crown land so long as there are no people vissable downrange.

If the RCMP do attend the scene, there is no way they are going to arrest/ticket as long as everything is in order (legal firearms, not intoxicated, owner has a valid PAL, etc). The most the RCMP will do is ask them to stop or move to a better location.

Having said that: As someone who enjoys a target practice session a couple of times a year, it dissapoints me that people do this. I go to great extents to find an out of the way and safe location and I pack out any and ALL garbage (even shell casings). A lot of people only go just outside of city limits and leave a huge mess :(
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1151 posts

Postby JLives » Mar 19th, 2014, 9:46 am

When we go shooting we make sure we are shooting into a bank. It's very dangerous shooting in a big open area where you don't know what's out there. I've heard a bullet whizz past my ear before out in the bush. We left immediately with very wet pants.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

TylerM4 likes this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5854 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Mar 19th, 2014, 9:58 am

jennylives wrote:When we go shooting we make sure we are shooting into a bank. It's very dangerous shooting in a big open area where you don't know what's out there. I've heard a bullet whizz past my ear before out in the bush. We left immediately with very wet pants.

Into a bank is a great idea - just be careful of richochets. Ideally the bank is well back from your targets. That is what I generally look for when shooting the larger rifles. When shooting the .22 or the shotgun with birdshot, I prefer to shoot off a cliff or a steep drop as then there is no chance of someone wandering onto your range and those firearms are not dangerous with distances over 200yards so you need not worry about hitting someone on the other side of the mountain a kilometer or more away.

Honestly, shooting in thick brush is also very safe. A bullet cannot travel far before hitting an obstical (tree) in those conditions.
TylerM4
Übergod

Postby LoneWolf_53 » Mar 19th, 2014, 10:16 am

TylerM4 wrote:Honestly, shooting in thick brush is also very safe. A bullet cannot travel far before hitting an obstical (tree) in those conditions.

Once you pull the trigger, you have zero guarantee that your bullet is going to hit a tree, and remain safe.

Are you really willing to take such a gamble, with human life, never knowing where someone might be?

I live in the country, fairly wooded, and believe me, you'd be surprised where people will pop out from.

No Trespassing signs don't appear to account for much either, from my observations.

Personally, I'd be afraid to discharge anything stronger than a pellet gun, outside a gun range.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 2652 posts

Postby Captain Awesome » Mar 19th, 2014, 10:26 am

Be a responsible gun owner and only shoot at gun clubs - places specifically designed for shooting.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Poindexter likes this post.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3123 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Mar 19th, 2014, 11:11 am

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Once you pull the trigger, you have zero guarantee that your bullet is going to hit a tree, and remain safe.

Are you really willing to take such a gamble, with human life, never knowing where someone might be?

I live in the country, fairly wooded, and believe me, you'd be surprised where people will pop out from.

No Trespassing signs don't appear to account for much either, from my observations.

Personally, I'd be afraid to discharge anything stronger than a pellet gun, outside a gun range.

Lol. And you could get struck by lightning, or have a rock pin your arm and be forced to amputate with your pocket knife. Or a bird could poop in your eye and give you avian flu!

No action is without risk.

When's the last time you heard of an accident in the bush where someone was shot by a recreational shooter shooting in a safe location/manner? That's so rare, I can't remember the last time - despite 1000's of rounds being fired every day in BC. The accidents that do happen typically happen while hunting and are typically due to unsafe practices like keeping a round in the chamber, etc.

Looking at the statistics, you are more likely to harm a stranger while driving to work than you are while shooting (safely) in the bush. Same thing goes for accidents in the bush - of all the things that could do you harm, a stray round from a responsible gun owner should be one of the last things that concern you.

LTD likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Postby TylerM4 » Mar 19th, 2014, 11:23 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Be a responsible gun owner and only shoot at gun clubs - places specifically designed for shooting.

And you are qualified to determine what actions represent a responsible owner how? Do you have any expertise in this field? Do you even own a firearm or have your PAL?

A responsible gun owner knows how to handle a firearm in all conditions. Not just how to act/handle a firearm in a gun club. A responsible hunter is very familiar with his firearm in all settings. The moments leading up to a shot are intense. Stress, excitement, nervousness, an excited hunting partner, etc. The last thing a hunter needs to do is add inexperience with shooting outside of a club to that mix. A hunter should be comfortable shooting from a prone position across a log, used to setting up without a table nearby, used to dropping a round in the weeds, used to constantly scanning the background to ensure a safe shot, used to dealing with a wet/dirty firearm, etc, etc. None of which you'll gain while shooting at a range.
TylerM4
Übergod

Postby Captain Awesome » Mar 19th, 2014, 12:47 pm

TylerM4 wrote:Do you even own a firearm or have your PAL?

Yes and yes.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 3123 posts

Postby Poindexter » Mar 19th, 2014, 12:52 pm

Let me get this straight Tyler, your solution is for inexperienced hunters to shoot up areas used for hiking?

"Sorry I shot your dog but I'm new to hunting and was simply practicing my prone position."
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4530 posts

Next

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors