Major League Baseball

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Major League Baseball

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:ALDS
New York Yankees @ Cleveland Indians
Boston Red Sox @ Houston Astros
NLDS
Arizona Diamondbacks @ Los Angeles Dodgers
Chicago Cubs @ Washington Nationals

I'm not big Baseball fan, as last year Chicago ended a drought. So this year I will pick Cleveland to end there drought this year.

2 teams have been knocked out:
Boston & Arizona
Washington needs to win today or go play golf.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:ALDS
New York Yankees @ Cleveland Indians
Boston Red Sox @ Houston Astros
NLDS
Arizona Diamondbacks @ Los Angeles Dodgers
Chicago Cubs @ Washington Nationals

I'm not big Baseball fan, as last year Chicago ended a drought. So this year I will pick Cleveland to end there drought this year.

Cleveland drought will continue
ALCS New York Yankees @ Houston Astros
NLCS Chicago Cubs @ Los Angeles Dodgers
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

ALCS New York Yankees @ Houston Astros
NLCS Chicago Cubs @ Los Angeles Dodgers

Only 1 team in this group has never won the MLB Cup

NYY 27 MLB cups
LAD 6 MLB cups
CC 3 MLB cups
HA 0 MLB cups

So I'm going to go for Houston Astros

Added later: I can't call the final round what they say it is since only 2 countries have teams playing in MLB.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The way it's currently looking tv ratings jackpot for advertisers:
MLB finals
New York Yankees @ Los Angeles Dodgers

NYY down 2 games to 0, have come back to tie it. Are currently winning 4 nothing in the 6th in game 5.
LAD are up 3 games to none over the Cubs, this series could be over tonight.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Any predictions on tonight's game 7 in Houston? CC can be very tough when he's on. Morton, not so much. Yankees by 2.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

j watson wrote:Any predictions on tonight's game 7 in Houston? CC can be very tough when he's on. Morton, not so much. Yankees by 2.

I won't predict a score, I will predict the teams for MLB 2017 Finals.
New York Yankees @ Los Angeles Dodgers

even if I'm wrong, Dodgers starters & bullpen is to strong. Whomever wins tonight, it won't matter.
LAD will win the Cup

Added: even though I'd like to see Houston win their first MLB Cup, its doubtful they can beat NY tonight.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Dodgers will be very tough but we all know better than to count the Yankees out. BTW, it's not a cup in the MLB. One team wins the World Series, named after it's first sponsor, a newspaper in NYC called the World News and they are then awarded the Commissioner's Trophy by the commissioner himself. Nice to find another baseball fan out there, GordonH. Enjoy the game tonight.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

j watson wrote:Dodgers will be very tough but we all know better than to count the Yankees out. BTW, it's not a cup in the MLB. One team wins the World Series, named after it's first sponsor, a newspaper in NYC called the World News and they are then awarded the Commissioner's Trophy by the commissioner himself. Nice to find another baseball fan out there, GordonH. Enjoy the game tonight.

Since only 2 countries actually have teams in MLB, 1 of those countries has only 1 team. I don't call it that title, MLB is the only NA professional league to use the wrong terminology.
NFL Super Bowl/Lombardi Trophy
NBA Finals/Larry O'Brien Trophy
NHL Finals/Stanley Cup
MLS Finals/Philip F. Anschutz Trophy
CFL Finals/Grey Cup

I don't follow baseball during the regular season ever since Montreal was screwed by the league.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So the only team without a cup in 2017 MLB post season has a chance to win their first Cup. Small chance knowing how strong LAD starting pitching lineup & bullpen are.

2017 MLB Finals is:
Houston Astros @ Los Angeles Dodgers
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

GordonH, I tried to explain earlier. It's called the World Series only because the original sponsor of the tournament was the World News in NYC. It has nothing to do with world champions nor does the winner claim to be world champions. I should have read your OP cuz then I would have realized that you're not a baseball fan at all. At any rate, that explains your lack of knowledge on the subject. And I guess CC wasn't on tonight, if you follow me. Go Yankees!!! (yes, I know they're eliminated GordonH.) Cheers.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

j watson wrote:GordonH, I tried to explain earlier. It's called the World Series only because the original sponsor of the tournament was the World News in NYC. It has nothing to do with world champions nor does the winner claim to be world champions. I should have read your OP cuz then I would have realized that you're not a baseball fan at all. At any rate, that explains your lack of knowledge on the subject. And I guess CC wasn't on tonight, if you follow me. Go Yankees!!! (yes, I know they're eliminated GordonH.) Cheers.

https://www.rose-hulman.edu/~rickert/BB/wsname.html

Sorry don't see any reference to a New York City newspaper.

I was a fan prior to the league screwing over the Montreal Expos, since US franchises did not want another Canadian based team to win it all (if you are a fan, you know what I'm talking about)
NYY will be back, since they have an overall young team with a strong farm club with good young talent coming up. I don't expect to see CC there next season he is or course 37, which is in sports getting away from his prime years.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Well I clearly stand corrected. Thanx GordonH, we're never too old to learn it appears.
https://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

j watson wrote:Well I clearly stand corrected. Thanx GordonH, we're never too old to learn it appears.
https://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

No worries j watson, I was just voicing my personal opinion on the title of MLB Championship.
There so many incredible players from early days of MLB they could just pick one to name the Cup after him. Similar the other leagues have & then use that as the post season series, just a thought.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Congratulation to Houston Astros on your first MLB Championship

Sorry LA $295 million did not do it, Houston won with a lower salary total $205 million.

Interesting Toronto salary total was $226 million
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Have to give credit to the Sports Illustrated writer who predicted an Astros win in 2014 when they were in last place. Great story of how some GM'S have found creative ways to build a competitive team in a sport where you can buy championships.

A mocked 2014 Sports Illustrated cover predicted the Houston Astros' 2017 run to the World Series
The Dodgers' path to the World Series was a shock to no one - Los Angeles has won their division title every year since 2013, and have the spending power to compete for the best players.

Counter to that, the Houston Astros' World Series run is the result of one of the most impressive rebuilds in MLB history. In the midst of three consecutive seasons from 2011-13 in which the Astros lost 106, 107, and 111 games, respectively, the organization began the Herculean task of turning the worst team in baseball into a contender

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/amp.busines ... on-2017-10
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”