Downhill Rider Has Right Of Way, Stay Safe

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Fixer 166
Guru

Downhill Rider Has Right Of Way, Stay Safe

Post by Fixer 166 »

THE DOWNHILL SKIER OR SNOWBOARDER HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY

THIS MEANS ANYONE BELOW YOU HAS THE RIGHT OF WAY.

GET IT??

I have noticed a growing issue of skiers/snowboarders getting hit by fellow skier/snowboarders. It really 'hit' home yesterday as I watched a mid-late 20's very capable male snowboarder straight line into my 7yr old daughter on a green run just below a slow sign. I sometimes ride with gps and I'll put the guys speed at about 45-55km straight-lining, my daughter was cutting across the run at the bottom of a steeper pitch, maybe 5km- across the run. The guy airs it a bit off the top of the pitch, lands and turns his head to look at his buddys coming off the top, pinning it. I'm watching it all. As soon as he comes into view I can see it coming, so should he have seen her, but he wasn't looking where he was going, on a green, beginner run, ripping. I apologize to anyone there for losing it a bit, the guy that hit her did feel genuinely bad. He hung around to make sure she was ok(took a run to get her courage back, otherwise ok) thanks for that, & I hope he's ok.
Two runs later same sitch, not my family, little girl 4yrs old crashed on a leeward slope, guy (punk *^%$# that's lucky it was my wife seeing this and not me) comes flying over, hits them and proceeds to curse them out for being in the middle of the run while riding away. Bud, I'd have beat you with your own snowboard.
A GREEN BEGINER RUN IS WHERE KIDS LEARN.

Point of the story
If you love ripping groomers and airing it out off of sweet rollers, believe me, I get it. Maybe find a different run than the known green beginner runs. If Serwas is the one for you and you just cant get enough, take turns spotting with your buddy. Send him first to carefully make sure its clear so you can send it. Next time its his turn.
Lastly
Heads up to people, when on the downhill, leeward, blind side of a slope/pitch move out of the way asap.

Not much left this yr, Have fun out there but most important stay safe.
Anyone else got a storey?
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Wally
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Downhill Rider Has Right Of Way, Stay Safe

Post by Wally »

I love ripping down serwas to get my legs warmed up, but I cannot always go as much as I would like for the reasons related to your story, If its busy I have to be careful and slow it up, there are some spots that an experienced skier knows you cannot see over the rollers and have to check speed accordingly, especially at the permanent slow sign or the bigger drop after. The way I see it is if you do not have the awareness or ability to turn or stop real quick then you should not be going that fast.
You cant steer if your in the air.
For the ones that love it, try blue sapphire, way better than serwas.
Going today, hear tommorow

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”