Kayaking down Mission Creek

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Re: Kayaking down Mission Creek

Post by Straight Shooter »

digitalgecko wrote:Out of curiosity has anyone done this later in the season? Is the creek passable in a kayak all year? or does it get too shallow in the summer?

I've done Mission Creek after the run-off albeit not in a kayak but from a dingy, it was a rather pleasurable run without the danger.There is a very small falls west of the KLO bridge which the bottom of my dingy hitting bottom but with the shallow draft of a kayak might make the creek passable but expect to hit bottom in some sections especially in August/September. Watch out for the Kokanee spawning during this period of Sept. too. The creek right now looks like kayaking would be not as dangerous as some people might expect, sure it's fast flowing but not the extreme conditions that can be expected during spring run-off. If you have experience in kayaking, then I think with the conditions before the rains came would make this a challenging yet safe passage.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Last Thursday, I ventures from the KLO Bridge to the mouth of Okanagan Lake in my kayak and found the trip very relaxing and non dangerous. To have a more of a challenge this afternoon I started at the East Kelowna/ Hollywood Rd South Bridge and after about five minutes flipped my kayak after being driven into a steep bank and thrown into the fast flowing water. I underestimated the swiftness of Mission Creek in this particular area and struggled while be swept down stream battered and bruised from hitting the creek bottom rocks in a futile attempted to get to shore. I did have a leg rope tied to my ankle to my kayak which snapped and possibly saving my life because i was being dragged by a now semi submerged kayak. I finally was able to make it to shore after about a very long five minutes and able to grab a rock and pull myself out of the water. Although having a lifejackets in my possession it wasn't being worn and I find I'm fortunate to be alive and writing about this and possibly warn other people about this danger even though the run off has pretty well run it's course. The last I saw my white and blue kayak it was being swepted downstream along with my unworn lifejackets probably floating somewhere near the mouth of Okanagan Lake. I'm feel very fortunate not to have drowned or seriously injured because of my stupidity in (1) not wearing my PFD, (2) not wearing a helmet, (3) doing a solo trip.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here's a trip you could try:
Works best with 2 vehicles, 1 vehicle is left in Enderby near the bridge you & other person load both kayaks & go to bridge just past Ashton Creek area.
This is on Shuswap river, high water has crested so good time to go.

Reason for the 2 vehicles & 2 people is the ability to go get the other vehicle easier.

Here is a map view bridge near Ashton creek https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.54391,-1 ... a=!3m1!1e3
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Glad you're alive and fairly well Straight Shooter - what a scary experience and hope you get your belongings back.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

digitalgecko wrote:Out of curiosity has anyone done this later in the season? Is the creek passable in a kayak all year? or does it get too shallow in the summer?

just be done before the salmon runs

its doable
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I've done this in an inflatable boat in the early Spring. Did I have a blast? YES. Would I do it again? NO. Just about bloody killed myself about 5 times and froze my *bleep* off.

Glad you're okay :130:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Jetskied up to the Creekside Pub from the lake, took it slow but lots of fun. Would be an easy trip from the lake in a kayak, nice way to spend an afternoon.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Fancy wrote:Glad you're alive and fairly well Straight Shooter - what a scary experience and hope you get your belongings back.

Thanks Fancy, apart from my legs being cut and bruised I do consider myself very lucky. Reminds me back in 1996 when at the age of 42 I attended a Daryl Mills Bull Riding School, needless to say things didn't turn out much better. How to you spell torn knee ligaments. Ouch! Anyways, if anyone has seen a white and blue kayak abandoned along Mission Creek or Okanagan Lake, please PM me. Thank you.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”