Kayaking down Mission Creek

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Kayaking down Mission Creek

Post by Straight Shooter »

Just wondering if a person starts at the East Kelowna Rd bridge by Hollywood S. if its clear sailing down to Okanagan Lake even with the road/bridge construction on Lakeshore Rd?
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kayaking down Mission Creek

Post by Swoop »

...Google Maps and you can follow it the whole way...most of the bridges should still be passable, although I noticed today the creek level has risen quite a bit again, making one's like at KLO Rd. a little bit of a tight squeeze...first question would be - what's your experience level? - unless you're very experienced with swift water kayaking, it might not be the best time to venture out, as snowpack (read:very cold)runoff has the creek moving extremely fast, and there are a number of sharp bends just after you set in at the East Kelowna bridge...the current at these bends takes you right up against the banks in very fast, turbulent water that at this time of year can also have large trees/branches/snags stuck along the banks- which is very easy to get caught up in...there was recently one full size fir/pintree that's been laying in the creek just below that bridge, and it's now gone - pulled further down by the strong runoff...
anakerose

Post by anakerose »

Yikes, I wouldn't kayak down that during run off even if you paid me!!!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Straight Shooter wrote:Just wondering if a person starts at the East Kelowna Rd bridge by Hollywood S. if its clear sailing down to Okanagan Lake even with the road/bridge construction on Lakeshore Rd?

I guess the concern I would have about this would if you were to roll over, if water is deep enough no issue. If not and you bang your head on any of large rocks on creek bed that could be a big problem.

On the other hand if the water in deep enough then there is the bridge at KLO as mentioned and distance between water level & bottom of bridge deck again could be painful if you hit your head.

Just a couple of things to think about before heading out Straight Shooter.

Added: look into the work being done on Lakeshore Rd, I think they are also replacing the bridge.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
grumpies daughter
Board Meister

Post by grumpies daughter »

Do not even consider this!
try to live your whole life west of the rockies
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

grumpies daughter wrote:Do not even consider this!

^^^This - in re-reading my original post - it may have come across as advice to consider precautions before heading out...I will emphasize, my advice is do NOT attempt to enter the creek at runoff time...my apologies if my previous comments sounded as if I was condoning it...bad idea...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

grumps daughter wrote:Do not even consider this!

Almost forgot to add ^^^^^ this at bottom of my post. Incase my deterrents were not enough.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

My only experience on Mission Creek has been going down the creek in a dinghy after the worst of the run off which I believe was in the middle of June. I pass the creek on a regular basic monitoring the flow and not having any kayak experience I will wait until the run off subsides and learn when it's not as dangerous. Thanks for the advise.
hotchip99
Lord of the Board

Post by hotchip99 »

Straight Shooter wrote:Just wondering if a person starts at the East Kelowna Rd bridge by Hollywood S. if its clear sailing down to Okanagan Lake even with the road/bridge construction on Lakeshore Rd?

Don't forget the Gopro!

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Hah..hah ha...*bleep*...
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on May 24th, 2014, 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

http://www.google.ca/search?q=what+is+g ... ent=safari

I have to admit I wasn't too sure what Gopro was but I do now and that would be a definate asset to anyone whose adventurist
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

I did it years ago the bridge was tight barely got under check the bridge
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Go back ..... IT"S A TRAP !!
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

Last year there were trees laying clear across the creek just upstream of the Casorso bridge. I personally don't think it's a good idea to go down the creek during runoff, but that's just my opinion. Too many hazards.
digitalgecko

Post by digitalgecko »

Out of curiosity has anyone done this later in the season? Is the creek passable in a kayak all year? or does it get too shallow in the summer?

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”