The Best Canoe Trips in BC

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

The Best Canoe Trips in BC

Post by Glacier »

I'm looking for some good canoe trips to try this year. They must be good for kids. We are hoping to do Bowron Lake next year.

Just for fun, here is my list of the best canoe trips in the province.

10. Teslin-Yukon River. Not quite in BC, but almost. 19 days from Johnson's Crossing to Dawson City.
    9. Nation Lakes canoe chain. This is a spectacular and remote canoe trip in the central interior north of Prince George. The chain is 120 km long.
    8. Sayward Forest Canoe route. 48 km long circuit. It can take 4 to 7 days round trip.
    7. Main Lakes canoe chain. This is an 11 km (one way) chain of lakes on Quadra Island that takes 3 days round trip.
    6. Nazko Lakes canoe chain. On top of the Chilcotin plateau, and the site of Canada's only nesting American White Pelicans. 2 to 4 days.
    5. Powell Forest Canoe Route. 80 km long. 4 to 7 days (one way).
    4. Nanika-Kidprice Lakes. This route is south of Houston, BC, surrounded by glaciers and snow-capped peaks. 3 to 6 days.
    3. Turner Lakes chain. Start at the top of one of Canada's most amazing waterfalls. Either hike in and rent a canoe or fly in from Nimpo Lake (as I did). 3 to 5 days.
    2. Clearwater and Azure Lake. Beautiful scenery. 3 to 6 days.
    1. Bowron Lakes. One of the best canoe circuits in the world. Amazing scenery, and you end up where you started without backtracking. 116 km and 6 to 10 days.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: The Best Canoe Trips in BC

Post by Liquidnails »

Murtle lake in Wells Gray park is a good one. Beautiful scenery and it's a canoe/kayak only lake which is nice.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... s/wg_murt/

Sechelt inlet has a bunch of campsites that are water access only, and it's quite sheltered and safe, though the winds do pick up a bit in the afternoon. The weather is also great all summer long and there are options for longer paddles up the Clowholm or salmon inlets as well.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... s/sechelt/

Moose Valley near 100 mile, is a fun short one, probably 2 days round trip and a great way to warm up for the season. Lots of loons and there are some fun parts where it's like a corn maze, but in a canoe and tall bullrushes. I've never seen another soul here.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... moose_val/

Pavilion, Crown and Turquoise lakes west of Cache creek. Interesting geography, but too damn hot.

That's about all I can offer from experience, besides the Bowron Lakes.
Dave_1963
Banned

Post by Dave_1963 »

The Bowron lake chain is a must do. I did it in the 70's, and it was a blast. Back then, the portages were pretty brutal lugging an 800 Lb. freighter canoe. Just muddy trails with rest points on the longer ones at the beginning. I hear the portages have been vastly improved since I was there. The rapids (the roller coaster) were no problem for my dad and me to get through. The Yukon river is good too....my sister is planning on doing that this summer. Good luck and have fun wherever you decide to go!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Crap, now I really want to go canoeing. And I only canoe'd around False Creek in Vancouver before.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Captain Awesome wrote:Crap, now I really want to go canoeing.

haha Same here - I haven't been canoeing since I lived in Ontario. Did a ton of it there, though - mostly from my backyard, but also up north.
Your bias suits you.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Moons ago I did a lot of canoeing in Juskatla Inlet. It is ocean, but because it is so far from the open ocean, it is sort of like lake canoeing with salt water and tides. Incredible wildlife, fantastic fishing, unspoiled salt marshes and lagoons to explore, lots of little islands, and lots of creeks to get fresh water from.

Don't know how much it has changed. But it still looks good judging by this: http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/kayaking-at-juskatla-inlet-near-the-village-of-port-clements
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
twilson2

Post by twilson2 »

Recently completed Emar Lakes Canoe Loop near Clearwater, BC. Took us 2 days and 1 night to complete the circle of 8 or so lakes, great idea for any weekend warrior.

Caution: Portage trails are small, steep in sections, and not smooth. This is a true test for people who dont mind a bit of bush-wacking. Our group found out the hard way, but pack light - one backpack + canoe if possible.

Taylor
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

twilson2 wrote:Recently completed Emar Lakes Canoe Loop near Clearwater, BC. Took us 2 days and 1 night to complete the circle of 8 or so lakes, great idea for any weekend warrior.

Awesome. I've heard of that one, though I would consider it near Bridge Lake, BC since it's up on the plateau.

Closer to home, we have the Dee Lake Chain that takes about two days to go back and forth. I was on there this weekend. It is about the same distance from Kelowna, Lake Country, Vernon, and Lumby. It's a nice paddle on the Aberdeen plateau.

Another one that, in my opinion, is one of the top canoe trips in BC, is Slocan Lake. The scenery is totally spectacular, and the fishing is awesome. The entire west side of the lake a provincial park (Valhalla), and there are nice sandy beaches every 5 km down the lake for camping. The lake itself is 38 km long, but you don't have to do the entire thing. We went up one side of the lake, and back down the the other. Doing the entire lake would take 5 days. The lake is almost 1000 feet deep right off the shore, and the water is amazingly clear. Only Adams Lake has a deeper average depth for lakes in BC. For a longer stay, you can hike up into the alpine at the second beach from Slocan City. There is also a waterfall there. I can't say enough good things about this canoe route. Oh, and the best part is that Albertans haven't discovered it in high numbers yet... the traffic is mostly local.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I agree that Clearwater/Azure lake trip is beautiful, as well as Murtle lake. They're in my backyard so I get to experience those lakes all the time. I notice you've got the Teslin river on your list, so have you ever considered the Stikine river from Telegraph Creek down to Wrangle Alaska, it's a beautiful three day trip, but there is the added expense of hiring a jet boat to bring you back to your vehicle at Telegraph Creek.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Just spent a couple of days on Murtle. What an amazing place! I would put it up there with the Bowron Lakes as the best canoe trip in the province. You can't beat the sandy beaches and solitude. I just wish I had more time. I hope to go back next year.

It is the largest lake in North America with no road access. It's so remote, in fact, that there are no record of any First Nations people knowing about the place.
- Douglas Murray
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Glacier wrote:Just spent a couple of days on Murtle.
<snip>
It is the largest lake in North America with no road access. It's so remote, in fact, that there are no record of any First Nations people knowing about the place.

until now :smt045
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

For an easy day trip by canoe:
I still love dropping in at the causeway of Crooked Lake and taking it all the way up to the end of Dee.
Four small lakes, tight canal sections and great fishing if you have a canoe and know how to catch fish.
:biggrin:
I always bring home enough for dinner...twice.
I love walking around on the floaty-with-dead-people-under-it island.
Gives me the creeps every time.
Good wholesome fun.

Also:
after the evening settles to blue...paddle the eastern shores of Kal Lake.
Just as the sun ducks and the birds come out, lay your paddle down and wait.
It'll be worth it.
The wildlife along that side of the lake are amazing at that time of the evening.
Oh man.
I gotta do this for myself soon.

I like to pack a jar of paddling pemmican and a spoon. Bottle of water and silence.
Plook, swirl sploosh.
Plook, swirl sploosh.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I've also read that Lake Koocanusa is worth dipping a plank.
Anyone here vouch for or against?
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Everyone has to do a canoe trip at least once in their life to bring out their inner Voyageur. When it isn't windy, wet, or freezing cold, it's a beautiful way to travel.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

techrtr wrote:Everyone has to do a canoe trip at least once in their life to bring out their inner Voyageur. When it isn't windy, wet, or freezing cold, it's a beautiful way to travel.

I'll bring out my inner Native. Let you folks do the voyageur thang.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”