The Beautiful Game

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Poindexter
Guru

Re: The Beautiful Game, FIFA World Cup 2014

Post by Poindexter »

True, but those stoppages of play in the nfl do allow for some awesome replays. LOL

And I don't know of you can describe the game of soccer as a display of continuos action especially with all the faking of injury. As I said, it's just my two cents and I know its silly to think the game of soccer gives a rats *bleep* what I think. But it wouldnt slow the game down, if anything it would reward teams that pressure upfield instead of allowing teams to sit back with the entire team in the defensive zone and hope for a shoot out. It would force teams to be more aggressive and allow offensive talent to shine by challenging the defenders to push the play. Sorry, I said I'd shut up about it and now I will. :):)

Oh wait one more thing. They did a study on the faking of injuries and in men's soccer there is 1 actual injury for every 12 fakes. In women's soccer it's 1 in 6. Not sure if that means men are bigger drama queens than women or just not as tough.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Will be interesting to see how many yellow jerseys are in the stands tomorrow when Brazil is on the pitch.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Poindexter wrote:And I don't know of you can describe the game of soccer as a display of continuos action especially with all the faking of injury.

Think of soccer as an old 80s Schwarzenegger or Stallone movie, action filled with some really bad acting that gives you a chuckle ;)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

oneh2obabe wrote:Will be interesting to see how many yellow jerseys are in the stands tomorrow when Brazil is on the pitch.

That's one big difference I've noticed with sports fans here and sport fans in other places around the world. Here, more people seem to jump on and off the team bandwagon a lot quicker when their team does good or bad, where as in other places, fans stick with their teams through thick and thin. Pride really stands out.

So I'm pretty sure there will be lots and lots of yellow shirts in the crowds and around the world cheering on a countries team that is so passionate about soccer and they're still up for third place.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

For Brazil to win and get 3rd spot they will have to break the Netherlands defence which is tough.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Having read this blog http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/brazil2014/world-cup-3rd-place-game-a-meaningless-exercise-1.2703345 I've come to the realization that I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I see the relevance of a 3rd place game even though I'm a Netherlands fan and will likely watch most of it anyways. Anyone have thoughts on this?
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

17 minutes into the game and Netherlands leads 2-0.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

love it, brazil chokes on home soil again
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Well I got 3rd & 4th place correct, wait and see if 1st & 2nd tomorrow.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

go germany go
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

Cant believe how bad Brazil looked out there today. They just couldn't get anything going.
Life is too sho......
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

Go Germany... beat those Argy Bargys bad!! :D

(I'm still sore from the 'Hand of God', lol!)
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

And here we go :)

Good luck to both teams but I gotta root for my home team :)
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

What a fantastic first half - seriously, how can people not love this game? :)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

all the fake diving turns people off this game.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”