Camping for . . . peace and quiet?!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: Camping for....peace and quiet?!??

Post by Woodenhead »

jimmy4321 wrote:I not young but I feel it's always been like that. People camp for different reasons, some for nature peace & quiet others to do what they can't do in their 700sqft cubicle in the city.

Yep, it's always been like this. The only real difference now is the number of people doing it, but that's natural, considering population increase / spread. You need to get further away from urban centres, and preferably don't do "drive-thru camping" (which I don't even consider real camping anyway :P )

Even in the 80s in the middle of Algonquin Park I'd run into noisy people! While tech may have changed the "noise profile" over time, loud talkers & drunks etc. have been around forever - and when you're in an otherwise quiet area, any noise can travel big-time. You can hear a fart from clear across the lake on a calm night.

Wanna get away from it all? Here's where I spent the previous night. Provincial park. Didn't see another soul. (still was noisy - darned herd of deer spent the night right by me, hissing and jumping around all night. LOL) You'll have to walk more than 10 meters from your vehicle, though...

Another pic I took while there.

;-)
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Camping for . . . peace and quiet?!

Post by Bsuds »

Nice pics, awesome spot!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Wow! Just wow! I had a most beautiful camping experience last night :) There were owls and frogs and crickets and not one partier! My father has 2 acres in East Kelowna with an orchard on one side and an empty field on the other. We camped in his back 40 :) I think I may be on to something.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It looked like Alberta to me so I looked it up for corroboration. Alberta's back country always looked cold to me for some reason, even in the summer.

Looks like a nice spot though.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Camping for....peace and quiet?!??

Post by GrooveTunes »

Yep, it's always been like this. The only real difference now is the number of people doing it, but that's natural, considering population increase / spread. You need to get further away from urban centres, and preferably don't do "drive-thru camping" (which I don't even consider real camping anyway :P )

Even in the 80s in the middle of Algonquin Park I'd run into noisy people! While tech may have changed the "noise profile" over time, loud talkers & drunks etc. have been around forever - and when you're in an otherwise quiet area, any noise can travel big-time. You can hear a fart from clear across the lake on a calm night.

Wanna get away from it all? Here's where I spent the previous night. Provincial park. Didn't see another soul. (still was noisy - darned herd of deer spent the night right by me, hissing and jumping around all night. LOL) You'll have to walk more than 10 meters from your vehicle, though...

Another pic I took while there.

Was that you that yelled…turn the f)^$*% music down across the lake in Algonquin Park? Sorry about that. Loved Algonquin.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

haha Nope, can't say I've ever complained about other people's noise. I can sleep through pretty much anything!

Another poster earlier mentioned my pics looked to be from Alberta? No, they were taken in Valhalla Provincial Park, July 18, 2014. And it was quite hot during the day!
Last edited by Woodenhead on Jul 31st, 2014, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your bias suits you.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

I find that the provincial campgrounds are really nice right up until school is out, and after school is in. Not because of the kids, but because that is tourist season.

I've never had a problem with generator noise, except during tourist season.

Swapping stories with other RV campers about folks who seem to think that a generator running all day and half the night is ok, liked this one: one of the other campers ran into an RV camper from a nearby province who brought along a large generator. That generator guy also brought along a heavy gauge long extension cord. He then proceeded to set up his generator away from his campsite, right on the boundary of another campsite, and run it almost constantly. Needless to say, there was a confrontation.

That issue alone is where sites with power can be better. Never had any noise issues at Pearrygin Lake, Ocean City, Lincoln Rock or Steamboat Rock in Washington - and that includes summer RV trips when the kids are out. Interestingly, I haven't seen campers from that nearby province I mentioned when RV camping at those sites...

I also find that if you have it together to book early for the "prime" sites, you tend to get good neighbors. I always avoid sites that are close to the overflow sites or in areas of the campgrounds where you can't reserve. If that's all that is available, I don't bother. I avoid long weekend camping like the plague.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Provincial sites are getting too expensive for what they offer.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

1) RV
2) Camping

>> Pick one.
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We RV.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Nothing wrong with RVing & "car camping" at all. :-)

I just can't personally consider either to be "real" camping. I also don't expect too much peace & quiet when partaking in either of those activities.
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Wife calls it Glamping in the RV.

We did our share of camping when we were younger. Now we like having some of the creature comforts when we travel.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Glamping - I like that. Permission to borrow the term?

(I'll be glamping in another decade or so, I imagine. It's getting harder to backpack while carrying all of that beer)
Your bias suits you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lots of room in our fridge for beer and just ordered a small one for in the storage area for extra stuff.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”