Camping at McCulloch rec site

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
maple leaf
Grand Pooh-bah

Camping at McCulloch rec site

Post by maple leaf »

I have camped up at McCulloch recreation site over the past couple of years.The campgrounds don't allow reservations ,but what I have noticed is,people reserving spots by putting an empty tent in it or a chair with a tarp covering it.I went on a Tue. and there were already a couple trailers in spots but I never saw anyone until Fri. night.So do people actually pay 3 extra days to reserve a spot for the week end ? I drove through the campground today and there were at least 10 spots reserved in this manner .Or is it a case of being a friend of the Host to get a spot reserved.just wondering how it works.
“If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”
— Albert Einstein__________________________
AirHoss
Board Meister

Re: Camping at McCulloch rec site

Post by AirHoss »

I scoured the official rec site website for an answer about holding a spot with belongings... couldn't find one, but they are clear that there is NO OFFICIAL RESERVATION SYSTEM.
http://www.sitesandtrailsbc.ca/

I would imagine you can move someone's chair and take their spot, but the wrong person might respond with violence. Never know who you're dealing with. Even if if turns out that you're "right," it may not be worth it.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Were told by the host that yes you can go up there and set up a tent or....BUT you must pay for all the days.
It's getting busier and busier at the rec. sites because people are getting fed up with the continuous increases at provincial parks, which most have little or no services.
Joker7
Fledgling

Post by Joker7 »

maple leaf wrote:I have camped up at McCulloch recreation site over the past couple of years.The campgrounds don't allow reservations ,but what I have noticed is,people reserving spots by putting an empty tent in it or a chair with a tarp covering it.I went on a Tue. and there were already a couple trailers in spots but I never saw anyone until Fri. night.So do people actually pay 3 extra days to reserve a spot for the week end ? I drove through the campground today and there were at least 10 spots reserved in this manner .Or is it a case of being a friend of the Host to get a spot reserved.just wondering how it works.

I noticed this too. I questioned the guy about this and he said "I didn't have enough tents". He is setting up some of these tents himself. Seems like rather than first come, first served it has become friendship calls and is served.
Also told a motorcyclist to slow down. Fair enough. He didn't seem to have a problem with the speed of his buddy's wife flying around on her quad tho and she was going faster than the bike.
If he does this next year I will be putting in a formal complaint.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

DON'T go there on Father's Day weekend, there is a fishing derby and pretty much all the sites have chairs or tents on them reserving for each other, I believe it was the Army, Navy, Air Force. We went up for a drive and was full, full.......I for one don't think that is really fair, sure glad we didn't tow our trailer up to find that happening.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

This "rec" site is a joke. I have stopped in there to see one of the worst campsites out there. This one has the added bonus of all the caretakers junk and zero privacy. It a great big world out there in the back country. Keep driving.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

It is a great world in the back country but there are some nice sites at McCulloch, go past the caretakers and into the sites farther down......but almost impossible to camp there as they are always "reserved".

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”