Hiking In Wilden

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Hiking In Wilden

Post by TreeGuy »

I found a map on Wilden's website and it shows there are hiking trails but the map is not to scale and it is hard to tell how long the trails are. Any recommendations for a short hike within Wilden?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Hiking In Wilden

Post by Grandan »

To the north of wilden is a 374 acre parcel that underwent some preliminary development in the late 80's.
There are several kilometres of roads which were drivable by car with prepared building sites on proposed 5 acre parcels.
We had trouble keeping the dirt bikers out, it was widely used by hikers at that time. The dirt roads leading north from Wilden will give access to an extensive road network throughout the 374 acre parcel.
Wilden owns that as well however I do not know their policy with regard to access
To the north of the 374 acres is Stephens coyote ridge regional park where there is a spring fed lake called light blue lake.
The lake has no inlet, just an outlet on both ends. It is home to a turtle population and is very clean and clear. In the winter you can see areas where circular patterns are formed by the warmer water from the earth which is preventing the ice from freezing.
Travelling to the centre of the 374 acres you will find a fault line in a steep narrow canyon where the earth has shifted and the rock formations on one side of the road versus the other is completely different, buff coloured versus dark grey shale.
There is a chain of lakes on the property with plenty of turtles. I believe the lakes are spring fed.
To the far west of the 374 acres is one of the best lake views in Kelowna, overlooking McKinley landing. I have smelled the odor of sulphurous gases which I think are related to the geological formations in that area.
I have not visited the property for close to 20 years and will be excited to see it finally opened up for access.
The 1994 official Community Plan drew the line at the south boundary of the 374 acres so it was effectively shut out from development until 2013.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Hiking In Wilden

Post by Grandan »

Proceed north from the end of Union Road or from the end of Hidden Hills Drive to get to the trail system.
http://www.kelowna.ca/website/ikelowna_ ... viewer.cfm

By turning on the map layer for air photos, all the trail system can be seen.
Waste not

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”