Road/trail disabled?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
southy
Lord of the Board

Road/trail disabled?

Post by southy »

With the weather so nice I thought taking the quad out for a spin would be a great way to spend the day. Planned on driving out to Naramata and then taking my quad up Arawana then over onto Mt. Randolph and then connecting to the trail that takes you across the top to Greyback Road. Right where the trail takes off from Mt. Randolf road ... someone has disabled it in a major way. Was able to get through as previous quaders had set a nice track through it. Everything was great until I got to the Greyback Road end of the trail ... disabled in an even more major way. Again, figured out by following tracks that I could get around it and did and went up to Greyback Lake for the day. Question I have is does anyone know why this trail would have been disabled? I mean you can still access Greyback on Cougar below this trail but it is a longer and rougher ride.
Who would have authority over this trail?

Something in the back on my mind keeps telling me I might have quickly scanned over a thread on this way back when and if there is one I apologize, just can't find it. This used to be a great ride. Any info would be appreciated.

PS: While I'm at it .. has anyone taken the trail from the Dunes or Greyback through to Corporation Lake and over to Big Meadow? What kind of condition is it in?

Thanks for your help.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Road/trail disabled??

Post by Relentless »

Quite a few trails have been deactivated around the Greyback area. A few years ago some people were charged with mud bogging in the Greyback area and did quite some damage, some trails were deactivated then. The area is a watershed and forestry did some deactivating between Greyback and Corporation lake, but the trail is still passable with a quad.

The trail from the Kelowna side, Gillard FSR then Rocky road and then on to Big Meadow is all in great shape. When you leave Big Meadow and head to Corporation Lake, you have to head west first and then backtrack east and then south to get to Corporation, as they deactivated the strait line trail from Big Meadow to Corporation over a decade ago. The trail is really deactivated from Big Meadow to Corporation but it is rocky and really rough. Once you pass Corporation Lake and head towards Greyback Lake, the old trail is now deactivated and you have to go further east and hit Greyback FSR, because they deactivated the trail that went across Greyback Lake and onto the FSR, you also cannot drive to Greyback Lake(south side) as there is a gate and you must park and walk down to the water.
I can only guess all the deactivation was to stop vehicular offroad traffic from interfering with the watershed.
As far as I know, and from what I have seen, Forestry and officials from the watershed hired private contractors to do quite a bit of the deactivating,which took place quite a few years ago. There are quite a few gates installed northwest of Greyback Lake stopping traffic from heading over to Arawana and the Naramata area.
southy
Lord of the Board

Re: Road/trail disabled??

Post by southy »

UltraViolet wrote:I can only guess all the deactivation was to stop vehicular offroad traffic from interfering with the watershed.
As far as I know, and from what I have seen, Forestry and officials from the watershed hired private contractors to do quite a bit of the deactivating,which took place quite a few years ago. There are quite a few gates installed northwest of Greyback Lake stopping traffic from heading over to Arawana and the Naramata area.

Thanks for this UltraViolet, I actually did the Big Meadow to Corporation Lake trip a couple weeks ago, trail isn't to bad, but you are right the old direct trail from Big Meadow across to Corporation is gone. They've also done a lot of logging out of that area.

As for the trail over to Greyback from Mt. Randolph that I was talking about .. it was fine back in July, it seems just recently they deactivated it. I haven't come across any gates in that area which is the Northwest area you are talking about.

I was surprised to find crews logging by Greyback Lake ...very large clear cuts. I actually had to wait until a truck was loaded before I could continue on Greyback Road and to Greyback lake. By the way ... lots of hunters out in that area right now. Saw quite afew with camps set up - be careful.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”