Accessing Snowy Protected Area

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
RichardW

Accessing Snowy Protected Area

Post by RichardW »

Hello,

I'm pondering hiking up Snowy Mountain. An obvious place to start would be up Susap Creek FSR, which is just off Chopaka Road (c. 15 km southeast of Keremeos). It is suggested on the internet that the local first nations may have gated the road, and may be charging to allow access. Does anybody out there know anything about the condition of the road, whether it is gated and who to contact about getting access, if it is? Or are there any suggestions on where to look or who to contact for such information?

Thanks,
Richard.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Accessing Snowy Protected Area

Post by Liquidnails »

Call the Lower Similkameen band office. They'll be able to tell you everything you need to know and more.

You can also access that area from the back side up the Ashnola river road, but I reckon it would be a longer hike.
RichardW

Re: Accessing Snowy Protected Area

Post by RichardW »

Thanks. I tried the band office. It seems that a band member (presumably) would drive us up the road and charge us $50, but right now no one is on hand to offer that service and thus they are not offering any permits.

Even if this arrangement was offered, I'm left wondering how we would get back down the road. Personally, I'd rather drive myself up.

The Ashnola River Road access would be a multi-day hike but perhaps it would be an opportunity to check out other features in the area. I think I'll defer the trip until next year, for the time being.

Richard.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”