Okanagan Sun: 92-7 over West Shore, what's with that?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
keepitreal
Fledgling

Okanagan Sun: 92-7 over West Shore, what's with that?

Post by keepitreal »

While I very much respect the tributes paid to a "fallen" teammate and the dedication of the game to him I certainly am a little ashamed of the final outcome. A game with that kind of point spread only tells me one thing and that is that the Sun took every advantage of a much weaker team. Dare I say "running up" the score? No need for that. The players, coaches and management of the Sun should be bowing the heads a little over the next couple of days and ponder the thought of how they would feel if it had been them on the other side of such a one sided debacle. It certainly doesnt look good on an organization. Perhaps dedicating the season to Mr. Fernandez would have been a much more fitting tribute. Remember. what goes around comes around.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Okanagan Sun...92-7 over West Shore... what's with that?

Post by Bsuds »

If a team can be beaten by that large a margin then maybe they shouldn't be in the league to start with.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
HP
Board Meister

Re: Okanagan Sun: 92-7 over West Shore, what's with that?

Post by HP »

Were you at the game? I suspect not. If you were, you certainly weren't paying attention.

The Sun was down to their third string in all areas and had been since the start of the 2nd half. They ended up scoring three special teams touchdowns - when does that happen? In addition to the special teams touchdowns, Westshore fumbled three OK kickoffs in a row and gave the OK Sun the ball on the 20 yard line every time.

There's showing restraint but what do you tell your kids to do? Fall over as soon as you catch the ball? If you see it on the ground, leave it there for the other team to get? It's running up the score, to me, if you keep your starters in and keep trying to get to the endzone. The Sun didn't even try passing the ball - they were running to keep the clock moving and stop it from getting worse. They could have easily scored many more points.

I've seen BCFC games with similar scores in Kamloops (VI Raiders @ Kamloops a few years back) and it was an absolute brawl because VI would keep their starters in and would keep passing and trying to get to 100 points or get a record or something. This was nothing like that.

Westshore is full of first and second year players and is an organization in transition. They've had plenty of challenges over the last number of years and it's showing on the product on the field. Westshore's starting lineup couldn't compete with the Sun's third string - that has to tell you something. They were beaten in the 1st quarter and they lost their will to play so they didn't tackle, they didn't block... they didn't really even run.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Lopsided victories like this are not enjoyable games to watch, in some cases it can comeback to bite the winning team in the *bleep*.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Roberts and Braun

Post by Roberts and Braun »

Not much the Sun could other than running backs wards to keep that game from getting embarrassing.

Good news is that this weekend vs Langley for first place will be a barn burner

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”