Backcountry Ski and Splitboard Touring

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
twilson2

Backcountry Ski and Splitboard Touring

Post by twilson2 »

I am looking to get into splitboarding this winter and taking my AST 1 course in February. Just wondering what options there are for terrain close to Kelowna.

I have heard Rogers Pass and Coquihalla Summit are the closest, is there nothing around Big White?

Thanks
Nick Adams

Re: Backcountry Ski and Splitboard Touring

Post by Nick Adams »

You can do some short tours off the backside of big white. Also there is some really mellow short runs on the Westside and around Joe Rich. There is some really good touring around Sicamous as well. That is about it. PM me if you want some more details.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

In my opinion the best local backcountry touring where you can access multiple 7000' + ridgelines is about 2hrs drive east on Highway #6. There is heli-skiing in this area but you can access the same terrain by snowmobile or by skinning in. I heard about it from the UBCO outdoor club. They've been keeping this place a secret...

Turn off the Monashee Summit (Keefer Lake FSR). The logging road is being used this winter so you can drive right up to the trailheads.

The camp/lodge is usually open in the winter and has cabins and a secure parking lot for overnight trips.

It's a hidden gem for backcountry enthusiasts...
twilson2

Post by twilson2 »

Terris wrote:In my opinion the best local backcountry touring where you can access multiple 7000' + ridgelines is about 2hrs drive east on Highway #6. There is heli-skiing in this area but you can access the same terrain by snowmobile or by skinning in. I heard about it from the UBCO outdoor club. They've been keeping this place a secret...

Turn off the Monashee Summit (Keefer Lake FSR). The logging road is being used this winter so you can drive right up to the trailheads.

The camp/lodge is usually open in the winter and has cabins and a secure parking lot for overnight trips.

It's a hidden gem for backcountry enthusiasts...

Hey Terris,

Could you provide me a website on these cabins? I would like to look into doing an overnighter!

Thanks
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

The camp is called Keefer Lake Wilderness Resort. The sign is visible off Hwy #6.

I was there just before Christmas and apparently it's been sold to the owners of Canadian Tire (Kelowna) who are turning it into a cat ski operation. Was talking to some heli ski guides and it looks like the camp won't be open this winter but the cabins are still there. Not sure if they are going to be available but it's still worth the trip.

Tolko is logging up there so you might want to check with them about accessibility. There are several routes right from the camp. Look north for Yeoward mt and the Dome directly across from the lake or even south behind the camp for some really good old growth tree skiing. There is a small cabin up Yeoward Mt that can accommodate 4-6 people.
n_carabella

Post by n_carabella »

Nick Adams wrote: Nov 30th, 2014, 4:55 pm You can do some short tours off the backside of big white. Also there is some really mellow short runs on the Westside and around Joe Rich. There is some really good touring around Sicamous as well. That is about it. PM me if you want some more details.
Where about's in Joe Rich? Is there a website with trails? I'm new to split boarding and just want to try a couple small runs first.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Several day trips around Apex.
Top lot and head up to Apex proper. The fire lookout was removed many years ago but the view is great. Several bowls that have a decent drop but watch for avalanches as one side or the other can have wind compacted snow.
Green Mountain. At the cattle guard in Rock Oven just before Apex an old mining exploration road goes up and near the top a trail heads right.
I've seen a number of touring tracks and snowshoe tracks heading up there. The top is wide open and again great views.
I've toured up the other side at the cattle guard and after skirting the avalanche start points we found some nice tree lined alleys to ski down.
When my brother comes up after Christmas, I suspect I might relive my sort of youth of 40+ years ago and revisit some of these.
I have a hybrid ski, steel edges but I can X-country in them. I use wax, no skins.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”