Saluting the Fans

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Saluting the Fans

Post by Straight Shooter »

This for me has to be one of the stupidest thing from junior hockey to the National Hockey League. What was done originally to honor the fans at the end of the season has now being applied for every game after a home team victory. You honor your fans by giving them the entertainment that they paid for in the first place. Like Jaffrey Lupul of the Toronto Maple Leafs said last week " It's a fake". Couldn't agree with him more. Leave the stick salute for the end of the season. Please!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Saluting the Fans

Post by GordonH »

I would like to see it dropped from all except maybe last home game of the regular season, even then its a team choice.

It started in New York right after the 2005 lockout.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Gordon, there's no doubt that you are a very knowledgable sports fanatic and I used to share you love towards sports. Being a Leaf fan for over 50 years, I questioned the leadership of Dion Phaneuf before in his unwillingness to "drop the gloves" for the team and last year when teammate Tim Gleason laid motionless on the ice after taking a hit along the boards. While most of the team stayed on the ice obviously concerned about Gleason condition, Phaneuf was one of the first players to leave the bench and head to the dressing room. The players returned to the ice a short time later but to me it showed a total lack of leadership on his part. Last Thursday's fiasco after a 5-2 victory over a very good Tampa Bay team when the players refused to salute the fans once again confirmed his lack of leadership when he lied about the reason for not doing the salute not once but twice. David Clarkson in my mind would make a very good captain for the Leafs considering he his a "Ontario Boy ".
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Straight Shooter wrote:Gordon, there's no doubt that you are a very knowledgable sports fanatic and I used to share you love towards sports. Being a Leaf fan for over 50 years, I questioned the leadership of Dion Phaneuf before in his unwillingness to "drop the gloves" for the team and last year when teammate Tim Gleason laid motionless on the ice after taking a hit along the boards. While most of the team stayed on the ice obviously concerned about Gleason condition, Phaneuf was one of the first players to leave the bench and head to the dressing room. The players returned to the ice a short time later but to me it showed a total lack of leadership on his part. Last Thursday's fiasco after a 5-2 victory over a very good Tampa Bay team when the players refused to salute the fans once again confirmed his lack of leadership when he lied about the reason for not doing the salute not once but twice. David Clarkson in my mind would make a very good captain for the Leafs considering he his a "Ontario Boy ".

If it was up to me Dion Phaneuf (Way over rated) would be given one way ticket out of Toronto so fast his head would spin.
Send him to the NHL farm team Florida Panthers

Added later: in return Aaron Ekblad (I know fat chance)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I still don't know why or how this is a news story. Who cares?
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

fvkasm2x wrote:I still don't know why or how this is a news story. Who cares?

If you didn't know this was a sports story not a news story. Obviously you got your direction wrong on this forum. Nice try!

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”