Jean Béliveau passes away at 83

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Jean Béliveau passes away at 83

Post by oneh2obabe »

Hockey legend and 10-time Stanley Cup winner Jean Beliveau died Tuesday at the age of 83.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Jean Béliveau passes away at 83

Post by jaz301 »

RIP Jean Beliveau. Of course I never seen him play, but I know his name and what a legend he was.

Great little story on him from a few years back.
Life is too sho......
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

He was not only one of the greatest players in the history of the NHL but a real gentleman as well. He was a class act throughout his life. RIP Jean Béliveau.
rabidmole
Fledgling

Post by rabidmole »

Sad day. I will place my signed hockey card on the mantle for today. I remember growing up in Montreal playing street hockey and all of us wanting to be Jean Beliveau. We were a little young to dream of being Maurice Richard.
rip.....
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Urbane wrote:He was not only one of the greatest players in the history of the NHL but a real gentleman as well. He was a class act throughout his life. RIP Jean Béliveau.

Very true Urbane, my condolences to the Family & friends as well his Fans. Rest in Peace Jean

Here is a list of top 5 with the most Stanley Cup wins as players:

1) Henri Richard 11 Montreal Canadiens: ’56-’60, ’65, ’66, ’68, ’69, ’71, ’73
2) Jean Beliveau 10 Montreal Canadiens: ’56-’60, ’65, ’66, ’68, ’69, ’71
2) Yvan Cournoyer 10 Montreal Canadiens: ’65, ’66, ’68, ’69, ’71, ’73, ’76, ’78
4) Claude Provost 9 Montreal Canadiens: ’56-’60, ’65, ’66, ’68, ’69
5) Maurice Richard 8 Montreal Canadiens: ’44, ’46, ’53, ’56-’60

http://sportslistoftheday.com/2011/06/0 ... nley-cups/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Jean Beliveau has his name engraved on the Stanley Cup 17 times, more than any other person in history.

Keep an eye out for televised events surrounding his wake/funeral/ceremonies. He will lie in wake at the Bell Centre Sun-Mon, the funeral is Wed, and the Habs will have a ceremony before their next home game on Tues (bonus: they're playing the Canucks). It will be something you'll not see the likes of again, I imagine.

Mario Lemieux wrote:Beyond being one of the greatest players in NHL history, Jean Beliveau was class personified. He was a hero to generations of his fellow French Canadians and hockey fans everywhere. Our sport has lost an ambassador. He will be missed.

Gary Bettman wrote:No record book can capture, no image can depict, no statue can convey the grandeur of the remarkable Jean Beliveau, whose elegance and skill on the ice earned the admiration of the hockey world while his humility and humanity away from the rink earned the love of fans everywhere.
Mr. Beliveau was a formidable presence and his departure leaves an immeasurable void. As we grieve that he has left us, we cherish what he gave us: A sport elevated forever by his character, his dignity and his class.

Carey Price wrote:He was the bar for being a Montreal Canadien. He set the standard for everyone else to follow. He’ll always be remembered. He was the standard for being a great champion. He was a winner and he was a humble winner. He was the benchmark.

Dave Hodge wrote:Class. Grace. Elegance. Leadership. Skill. Poise. Charm. Dedication. Greatness. Best way to describe Jean Beliveau? All of the above.

Don Cherry wrote:If someone like the United Nations asked me to send one person to represent Canada it would be Jean Beliveau.

A fan wrote:My grandmother once interrupted Jean Beliveau during dinner at Gibby's & asked if he'd be able to call me because I was home sick.

He did.

Your bias suits you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/128 ... o-Beliveau

He was truly 1 of a kind.

Added: I hear a little blurb in last couple of day about interview done with Ted Lindsay (many years ago) and the person doing interview mentioned Jean Béliveau name. Ted stood up right away and said I stand up out of respect for Jean Béliveau.

Sorry did not hear any of the rest of that interview
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Guy Lafleur:

Your bias suits you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

thank you habs for winning tonights game for him and his family
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”