Racing is one step closer in South Okanagan

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Racing is one step closer in South Okanagan

Post by GordonH »

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/130893/ ... to-reality

If this does happen, hopefully they can open it up to public and maybe get those racers off the streets and on a track.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jbbrooks

Re: Racing is other step closer in South Okanagan

Post by jbbrooks »

Considering most street racers are younger guys, and the fact they are charging $100 per day to drop in for a session, I don't see this taking much racing off the streets.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

jbbrooks wrote:Considering most street racers are younger guys, and the fact they are charging $100 per day to drop in for a session, I don't see this taking much racing off the streets.

$100 "vs" what could happen if caught (on the street) or worst i.e crash
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 18th, 2015, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

$100 includes insurance at the track, does it not? Whereas your insurance won't cover an incident if you not at an approved race facility.

When it is presented in the right light, I think racing at a track is way more appealing to some. I know youth that race, and they like the points and the friendships they get at the track.

I think that the track will be an incredible asset.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

The track will offer on track insurance thru a private company out east for members... Not sure if they offer one day guest coverage. I suspect money can buy you anything :)
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

$100 for a track day is a STEAL. I will 100% be participating if that comes to fruition.

The membership dues are steep, but I'd still try to find a way to make it happen.

I might be dumb for asking but will they at least be allowing public spectators?

I can't wait to see it!!!
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

IMHO, once the details about the racing school are finalized I'd say that is the best way to get track time without a membership :)
As for spectating I would think that would be possible if you knew a member or with an event pass once they line up some official races :)
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Deproulx

Post by Deproulx »

For the most-part, this will be a playground for the rich to play with their expensive toys. The insurance would be for liability only, not collision. If you wreck your car on a racetrack you are usually SOL. (I know because I've done that) There may be a grey area with ICBC with respect to a "school" type event, but if there is any type of timing involved you probably don't have collision insurance. I wouldn't race anything I wasn't prepared to walk away from. (Or making payments on) Your life insurance may also be void on a racetrack. Check your policy.

The general public's best racing opportunity may be the kart track. 100KPH in a kart will be a rush and a much lower financial risk.

I'm looking forward to it being built.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

To participate, all tracks have waiver forms that need to signed before entering, even for the crew.

Racing is considered a high risk sport, not many insurance companies will cover you, there are some but I'm sure the premiums are expensive.

Same with the car, if there is an insurance company for race cars, the monthly rate will be more than what the cars around here are worth.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Chief Louie bangs another one out of the park.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

twobits wrote:Chief Louie bangs another one out of the park.

Not really, I believe it is on CP land, other than a photo op the only thing he would have done was vote yes at the referendum.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

driveangry wrote:Not really, I believe it is on CP land

Is there a map of Osoyoos Indian Band lands.
driveangry
Übergod

Post by driveangry »

GordonH wrote:
Is there a map of Osoyoos Indian Band lands.

Yes, other than the band office not sure where to find one, did you try google ?

The track is in the Oliver area, if that's what you are looking for.
GordonH

Re: Racing is one step closer in South Okanagan

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I know where this track is going, your proof of it being CP land.
driveangry
Übergod

Re: Racing is one step closer in South Okanagan

Post by driveangry »

GordonH wrote:^^^ I know where this track is going, your proof of it being CP land.

That's what I was told. Inside source. Back in its early stage.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”