Big White Updates

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
onestop67
Guru

Re: Big White Updates

Post by onestop67 »

Glacier wrote:I made the mistake of taking my wife to Big White to teach her to ski. She was left with the impression that skiing was the worst idea on earth as it was the most extreme and windiest weather I've ever seen on any ski mountain. Compete blizzard whiteout. I've been told that this happens quite a bit at Big White.

Oh please. Big White does not normally have the conditions that you are saying. It does NOT happen that often.

Sure, there are the odd days that the weather is bad. What do you expect, on top of a mountain, in BC, in the winter?

I have a condo at Big White. I've been going there for 30+ years. The weather is usually very good.

Not windy or whiteout conditions. It does get cloluded in, because it is in a valley of it's own. But clouds don't stop you from going out for the day.

If what you said is true, why is Big White always ranked in the top 5 hills in Canada/North America?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I have to agree with the post above. There is no such thing as consistent winter weather in an environment where you are hoping for cold and snow. But, saying that, Biggie has great conditions and, other than overcast foggy skies, it is known for pretty darn good conditions.
It can range from excellent to too warm, to too cold, to too windy......that's winter......but it's too bad your wife went on a chilly day. I can also attest that it is not like that all the time.
You and 71 others Like this post
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I will grant that I happened to hit the mountain at the wrong time, and that Sun Peaks and Silverstar could also get storms like that (though I've never seen it).

I don't doubt you when you say it's a great mountain without much wind or fog most of the time, but come on, Big White is not ranked at the top 10 in North America, let along top 5. That's pure Toronto "we are the centre of the universe" syndrome. http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopher ... -for-2015/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Glacier wrote:I will grant that I happened to hit the mountain at the wrong time, and that Sun Peaks and Silverstar could also get storms like that (though I've never seen it).

I don't doubt you when you say it's a great mountain without much wind or fog most of the time, but come on, Big White is not ranked at the top 10 in North America, let along top 5. That's pure Toronto "we are the centre of the universe" syndrome. http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopher ... -for-2015/

And every time I've been to Silver Star, it was like playing Downhill Ice Hockey in the fog. Anecdotal evidence is awesome.

BW is not one of the top 10 in NA, but it is a great family resort with typically excellent snow.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Glacier wrote:I will grant that I happened to hit the mountain at the wrong time, and that Sun Peaks and Silverstar could also get storms like that (though I've never seen it).

lmao

I'm not going to debate you on rankings. You have pulled up one, from one magazine, Forbes. Forbes is hardly an expert on shi hills.

Maybe go search some articles about Big White from websites that actually focus on ski hills. You know, Ski magazines that actually know what they are talking about.

There are links to articles that I can post to support what I said. But, I just don't have the time to prove something to someone on the internet,

Forbes...lmao again.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I've skiied better even in BC. Whistler, Revelstoke, and Sun Peaks are at least as good, and I'm not even leaving the province yet. I've Googled, and I don't see Big White anywhere near the top of any lists I can find. The only people who put it the top 10 are people who work for Big White itself, and that's hardly an objective source.

This one puts Big White at #18, which is very good. It's a good mountain with lots of terrain, and the high elevation means that it gets more snow than Sunpeaks and Silverstar, but it's not top 5 material. Top 20, sure.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Anyone been for a hike this summer? Pretty cool riding the chairlift in shorts.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

How are the horseflys? Black flies ?
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

With monster El Niño this year I wonder how it will effect the snow . More , less . By the sounds of it harsh either way .
Strong and free
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

It's snowing a bit at the top YAY!!! (Silver Star too)
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Fantastic start, Keep it up, show the world what you are made of.

Rooting for you from the cheap seats..

http://www.castanet.net/news/Sports/152 ... ops-podium

-db
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Base has gotta be deep now
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ya, but the rain this week turned the snow to ice. Today was not good, but it snowed this evening, and that's a good thing for tomorrow's conditions.
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”