BCHL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing.

Re: BCHL

Postby JayByrd » May 28th, 2016, 1:58 pm

occasional thoughts wrote:n/p of course but I was puzzled because that was the nicest, spankingest new 80-year-old arena I ever saw!

Seriously, it had everything; I think it was physically connected to the swimming pool? It had a wonderful work-out facility. Nelson was (is) quite fortunate to have sprung for it, and I thought they'd be a natural "enemy" for the Smoke Eaters and a fit for the BCHL.

Alas, my son didn't make Jr., although I thought he should have made the Leafs given my read of the other try-outs; he was one of the smartest players on the ice but maybe a semi-step too slow in skating. He went on to a (dare I say) brilliant final minor year with the Westside Midget AAA team (they were AA but played AAA and went on to AA provincials in Quesnel where they lost in the final). Now he's a musician.

They seem to have it right when they build new facilities these days. I think the CNC here in Kelowna, with all of it's amenities, plus the H2o next door is a great thing for the community. Even Rutland Arena, though it's not new, is close to playing fields, the Y, and the motocross track. I love the idea of having that recreational hub.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.
JayByrd
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 912 posts

Postby occasional thoughts » Jun 3rd, 2016, 6:08 pm

Tough that our W.K.W. traded the local "kid" (20-year-old) Mennear. I didn't follow W.K. as closely as I might have over the season; did the two P.G. players they traded for play up to snuff and make the trade worth it?
occasional thoughts
Übergod

Liked in: 378 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jun 5th, 2016, 2:56 pm

occasional thoughts wrote:Tough that our W.K.W. traded the local "kid" (20-year-old) Mennear. I didn't follow W.K. as closely as I might have over the season; did the two P.G. players they traded for play up to snuff and make the trade worth it?

I can't speak to the performance of the players they traded for, but I do know that sometimes future considerations are structured on how much a player plays, or how far a team advances in the playoffs. For example, if the Warriors had bowed out in the first round, the player going back to PG might have been a lesser player, or nothing at all. It would all have to be agreed upon before the trade of course, and I have no idea if anything like this was agreed to in the first place. But it's been done.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.
JayByrd
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 912 posts

Postby occasional thoughts » Jul 17th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Looks like Brooks got theirs eh. You'd think there'd be grown-up minds controlling the game even at that level by this day and age. Glad to see that the hockey bosses, even at the Junior A level, are hard at work over the summer.
occasional thoughts
Übergod

Liked in: 378 posts

Postby GordonH » Mar 18th, 2017, 8:42 am

Round 2 of BCHL playoffs are under way, here in Okanagan/Shuswap only Vernon & Penticton are evolved. Both Salmon Arm & West Kelowna have been eliminated.

Trail vs Vernon
Merritt vs Penticton
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5201 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby GordonH » Mar 19th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Both Vernon & Penticton are up 2 games to none in their series.

Looking like it be showdown of 2 valley powerhouses in BCHL in the next round.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » Mar 26th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Vernon has moved on to round 3, 4 games to 1 over Trail
Meanwhile Merritt is giving Penticton a run, that series is tied at 3 games a piece. Game 7 goes to tomorrow

So Vernon vs ? in round 3

I happen to noticed the BCHL changed it playoff format this year, to eliminate 3 team final round.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » Apr 6th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Chilliwack Chiefs can move on to BCHL finals tomorrow night, they are up 3 games to 1 over Victoria.
Meanwhile the Vernon vs Penticton series is tied at 2 games a piece.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Postby GordonH » May 22nd, 2017, 5:38 am

Hell of an effort by Penticton Vees, as a fan thank you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Previous

Return to Sports / Great Outdoors