Penticton Vees

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Tony
Übergod

Penticton Vees

Post by Tony »

Why is it that the Rockets always have a story, but the Vee's who just won the Interior and heading to the Fred Page cup never get coverage on good old Castanet? I know CN is based in Kelowna, but they are the Valley's website aren't they?

The Vees are playing at SOEC on Friday night for the first of 7 for the Fred Page cup. They will be pitted against Nanaimo, and this should be an incredibly awesome series. Tickets available today......
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Re: Penticton Vees

Post by wanderingchef »

Great point! Come on Castanet....
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I agree as well. Unfortunately CN seems to thrive on negative get-a-reaction headline stories and photos. When it comes to local sports - they fall short. Yes, they try to cover the valley with sports stories but not well.

I do have one other question since we are on the topic of CN. Who actually owns this company?? I have spent a great deal of time surfing the net in hopes of finding out. Anyone out there know who exactly is the owner? By the way it is not Nick Frost.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:I agree as well. Unfortunately CN seems to thrive on negative get-a-reaction headline stories and photos. When it comes to local sports - they fall short. Yes, they try to cover the valley with sports stories but not well.

I do have one other question since we are on the topic of CN. Who actually owns this company?? I have spent a great deal of time surfing the net in hopes of finding out. Anyone out there know who exactly is the owner? By the way it is not Nick Frost.

Am pretty sure it is not someone that hugs a pillow in Penticton. Kelowna is undeniably a larger market but.....c'mon.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Instead of bitching & complaining about why CN is not mentioning Penticton Vee's. Go out tomorrow night and support your team as they are in Fred Page Cup vs Nanaimo Clippers.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

GordonH wrote:Instead of bitching & complaining about why CN is not mentioning Penticton Vee's. Go out tomorrow night and support your team as they are in Fred Page Cup vs Nanaimo Clippers.

Excuse me Gordon? Bitching and complaining? Simply voicing opinion ... And in my opinion who the hell are you to play judge and jury? Oh yea .. Got tickets too .. So you were saying?
wanderingchef
Fledgling

Post by wanderingchef »

Agreed^^^^^^ I too will be there to cheer on our Vees..... I hope you are to GordonH
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The point is every year someone posts in forum that Penticton Vee's are not mentioned on the front page of Castanet dot net.
If you click on the sports & look under BCHL look whats found.

Yes, I support local teams. As for BCHL that would include which ever team from Salmon Arm Silverbacks to Penticton Vee's represents the Okanagan + area (since Salmon Arm is not part of the Okanagan) in Fred Page Cup.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

GordonH wrote:The point is every year someone posts in forum that Penticton Vee's are not mentioned on the front page of Castanet dot net.
If you click on the sports & look under BCHL look whats found.

Yes, I support local teams. As for BCHL that would include which ever team from Salmon Arm Silverbacks to Penticton Vee's represents the Okanagan + area (since Salmon Arm is not part of the Okanagan) in Fred Page Cup.

The point is GordonH is that the Rockets get mentioned on a regular basis in the headlines on CN, but the Vees (or any other Junior A local team for that matter) hardly ever get mentioned. If you added up all the people that attended the Junior A games, you'd have a way bigger audience than the Rockets.

The Fred Page cup is a big deal, and warrants a little attention to our local team and yes, GordonH - we are going to the game.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Oh ya.... and the Sports column is way behind on Junior A......

You don't think I looked there first???
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Just to let you know I never check Castanet for my sports news. I go to either the teams website or the League's sites i.e BCHL &/or West Kelowna Warriors, WHL &/or Kelowna Rockets, NHL &/or Vancouver Canucks, CFL &/or BC Lions etc... etc or TSN.

Added Later: NHL salaries, before the passing of founder of Capgeeks his site (Matthew Wuest). Now NHL Numbers dot com
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Not the start to the series the fans in Penticton were expecting, 5 to 2 loss to Nanaimo Clippers.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

A little disappointing for sure, but we'll rebound. Hunter seemed off his game last night and to honest the Clippers goalie did an awesome job. Tonight's a new game. Unfortunately I'll be out of town and won't be able to go. Thank goodness for the BCHL website - I can listen in there!

I did notice, however, and back to my original point, that the Rockets hit the headlines and not a word about the Vees. That's sad that they don't get the mention (or any of the BCHL teams) that they deserve.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

And the Vee's finally pulled it off last night with a 57 second goal in OT from super rookie Tyson Jost for a 2-1 win over Nanaimo. Puts the series into a minimum of 5 games, with the next home game being played at SOEC on Thursday.

Sadly, I'm out of town but will be listening to it on BCHL.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Well.... the Vees just took the Fred Page cup and are bringing it home. Ya gotta hope THAT hits headlines with good ol' CN

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”