Connor McDavid Winner

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Connor McDavid Winner

Post by GordonH »

alfred2 wrote:canucks have never won the cup, that tells me there is something wrong in that organization.

So based on your response: St Louis, Washington etc all have something wrong as well. Funny since they do qualify regularly to post season, Edmonton if they don't next season will match the longest with Florida at 10 years
The longest Canucks have gone without qualifying has been 4 years.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

still no cup.florida has one .
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

franchise is succesfull when they win a cup, otherwise they are not. Why do you play to win the cup being second best is nothing.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

alfred2 wrote:still no cup.florida has one .

Sorry not Florida, there is 2 teams from that State (Tampa Bay won).

The last Canadian team to successfully win Stanley Cup was Montreal.
Calgary, Edmonton & Vancouver failed.

Edmonton has the forwards they need a backend, without it they are going nowhere. It that simple.
No defence, No goalie then No playoff chances
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

what good is it being in the playoffs like canucks when you do not win the cup. all it does is pad the owners pockets. oilers are bad at the backend , not doubt, but 5 cups are a lot in the modern times.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i for one am happy he is staying in Canada, instead of playing in a bs us market were no one cares,if I was an oliers fan I would be ecstatic, the stupid thing is that craig mactavish already said on tv yesterday that they have no intentions on tradeing any of there young players,, like what the f--k,there offence is looking great but hello craig your team needs a goalie and defence
Last edited by the truth on Apr 19th, 2015, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

alfred2 wrote:what good is it being in the playoffs like canucks when you do not win the cup. all it does is pad the owners pockets. oilers are bad at the backend , not doubt, but 5 cups are a lot in the modern times.

I don't take away anything from teams that have won the Stanley Cup, be it once or 23 times.

So are you saying players should not try to get into the play-offs, then whats the sense of having a regular season. It to earn one of the 8 spots in each Conference to battle for Lord Stanley's Cup.

On any given playoff's any team (thats in post season) can win that Cup.

As for Vancouver thats team I follow threw good, bad & ugly. I'm also a fan of hockey I like to see Canadian clubs do well, believe or not I'm enjoying see Calgary in as well Winnipeg, Montreal & Ottawa. Yes, it sucks to see the talent on the ice in Edmonton, having organization not bring in support talent on defence & goal to bring that team were they do belong.

That part lands squarely on Kevin Lowe's desk, following closely behind is Craig MacTavish.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote:i for one am happy he is staying in Canada, instead of playing in a bs us market were no one cares,if I was an oliers fan I would be ecstatic, the stupid thing is that craig mactavish already said on tv yesterday that they have no intentions on treading any of there young players,, like what the f--k,there offence is looking great but hello craig your team needs a goalie and defence

I to am happy to see Connor is staying (well coming back to Canada) in Canada.

Totally agree truth about defence & goal.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

alfred2 wrote:franchise is succesfull when they win a cup, otherwise they are not. Why do you play to win the cup being second best is nothing.

That seems alittle over-dramatic. As a player, you love making the playoffs because any team can get hot and win a cup. As a player you love the playoffs because it's the most exciting hockey you play all year. Fans love when their team makes the playoffs. Owners make more money which in turn helps pay for better players. Having a successful year in pro hockey doesn't mean winning a cup, that's just the cherry on top to a great season. It's about growing as a team and franchise. Making the playoffs makes the players better and more experienced and keeps your fans happy. That's worth alot more than 'second best is nothing'.

Also, don't forget that Edmonton once basically created the phrase "the best defense is a good offense". Getting McDavid is going to keep that puck in the offensive end of the ice far more than without him. That in itself will make the defense and goalie better...maybe even way better. The Oilers also have another 1st rd pick and I'm sure they can make a deal to get themselves a decent goalie or defensemen, or both. One thing we do know is that Edmonton won't be trading McDavid to any other team.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

do not put words in my mouth, i did not say that. you have to get into playoffs to win the cup. bragging about it with out winning the cup is for losers.you did not win forget it it and do not shout look what we did.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

With Edmonton getting McDavid this leaves the Oilers with the decision of what to do with current Rocket Leon-Draisaitl. The Toronto Maple Leafs who will be drafting 4th and if centre Dylan Strome is not advailable may want to trade their pick to Edmonton for Draisaitl in a multi player trade that would include Leafs captain and Edmonton native Dion Phaneuf and goalie James Reimer.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Phaneuf is way over rated, main reason Calgary traded him away.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:Phaneuf is way over rated, main reason Calgary traded him away.

imo, phaneuf is one of the most over rated players in the nhl
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Danielson99 wrote:Also, don't forget that Edmonton once basically created the phrase "the best defense is a good offense".

In today's game if you don't have both which includes #1 goaltender, that team will be playing golf every Spring.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

How close is Edmonton to the spending cap? They have a lot of new talent - which is awesome, but they have already resigned a few players.

I can't wait to see the new team this year, but I do agree that the Oilers need some defense and a goalie. It would help things out.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”