New to hunting

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

New to hunting

Post by JonyDarko »

Myself, along with a friend are attempting to learn how to hunt. As some of you know hunting has a fairly steep learning curve, was hoping to get some advice from seasoned hunters.

Decent places to start, possibly even a few archery tips, and whether or not coyotes would be an OK place to start?
Auto1
Board Meister

Re: New to hunting

Post by Auto1 »

Have you considered joining the local fish and wildlife (Sportsman) association? They may even have people that can mentor you, which is a safe(r) way to learn. They have some awesome people who will even bring you to their 'spot', and help you gut your first (and even second) animal. It can also help to be with someone who has hunted before to ask 'on the fly' questions, and to have them 'back you up' (ie, if your shot isn't true).

Having someone that has 'been there, done that' is also helpful because... Well... It can be a weird situation - to take a life. Everyone handles it differently. It is nice to be able to talk to someone and get their opinion on things.

I am sure you have already thought about this and covered it. I believe most Sportsman's Assn fees also cover access to a shooting range and insurance. Useful, in my opinion.

Good luck to you, and I hope you enjoy the outdoors and the animals.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Have a look at http://www.huntingbc.ca it is full of information, I recommend joining the oceola fish and game club, they have an archery range as well as a 300 yard rifle range. Only $70 for a membership, and they put on regular CORE & PAL courses. Some very helpful people are members and they do a lot for our local wildlife, money well spent.
Hunting coyotes is a great place to start, sharpens your shooting skills at the least and no bag limit.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

Well coyotes are tough eating. :) Any one hunting coyotes needs to be harvesting during the time of year when they have prime pelts. (November to February) You need to learn how to properly pelt them, and prepare them for market or taxidermy. I am not much in favor of shooting wildlife for the sake of shooting it, then kicking it in the ditch because the pelt is no good. Animal damage control (ADC) for nuisance animals is a different scenario.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”