Memorial Cup

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Memorial Cup

Post by GordonH »

Congratulations to 2017 Memorial Cup Champions the Windsor Spitfires.

now, now Erie Otter goaltender don't throw your stick at the camera person.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

GordonH wrote:Congratulations to 2017 Memorial Cup Champions the Windsor Spitfires.

So Windsor loses in first round of playoffs then gets into Memorial Cup because they are host city and then ends up winning. Need to change format, but will never happen. All about ticket sales and $$$.
Life is too sho......
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Congratulations to 2017 Memorial Cup Champions the Windsor Spitfires.

jaz301 wrote:So Windsor loses in first round of playoffs then gets into Memorial Cup because they are host city and then ends up winning. Need to change format, but will never happen. All about ticket sales and $$$.

Worked for Windsor, not so much for Saskatoon few years ago.

Added Later: in the last 17 years 5 host teams have won the Memorial Cup:
2004 Kelowna (losing in 3rd round in WHL playoffs)
2005 London (losing in final round in OHL playoffs)
2007 Vancouver (losing in final round in WHL playoffs)
2012 Shawinigan (losing in 2nd round in QMJHL playoffs)
2017 Windsor (losing in 1st round in OHL playoffs)

2018 Memorial Cup should have been hosted by QMJHL team.... since it 100th year the Regina Pats will be the host team.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

To lose the first round only to win it is funny. Almost as good as not making the playoffs only to win.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bumped
impo I believe the CHL needs to rethink the whole format to Memorial Cup.
Yes keep the rotation between each league i.e QMJHL, OHL & WHL

Were I see a change needed is the whole host city thing.

Example:
Its WHL turn to host the Memorial Cup, that should go to the winner of Ed Chynoweth Cup.
Now to keep it at 4 team format, Champions from each league + the team the host team beat to win the Championship

So Everett wins Ed Chynoweth Cup, the team they beat was Swift Current

So at the 2018 Memorial Cup is in Everett Washington with:
Everett Silivertips
Swift Current Broncos
OHL Champions
QMJHL Champions

imo
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

2018 Memorial Cup participates
QJMHL Champion: Acadie-Bathurst Titan
OHL Champion: Hamilton Bulldogs
WHL Champion: Swift Current Broncos
Host Team: Regina Pats
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Congratulation to the Acadie-Bathurst Titan on being 2018 Memorial Cup Champions

This is there very first Memorial Cup
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

it was a great memorial cup games
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Okay, been thinking about this on the host team getting a by to the Memorial Cup.
So not to continue to derail Kelowna's bid for the 2020 Memorial Cup thread, I will post here instead.

So continue with bidding process, so that only teams that have the capability to host will host. Remove the automatic by, so teams that play in the host teams League that go to that League Finals. Will also go to the Memorial Cup, so that makes host team do its very best not to be knocked off early in playoffs.
Right now there is little incentive for host team, besides winning there League Championship. As it stands its a benefit to be knocked out early (sometimes it backfires i.e Saskatoon Blades)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Number of times winning Memorial Cup since 1971...

Cornwall Royals (QMJHL) = (1972, 1980, 1981)
Kamloops Blazers (WHL) = 3 times (1992, 1994, 1995) Undefeated in 1995 tournament when also the host.
Windsor Spitfires (OHL) = (2009, 2010, 2017) Undefeated as host in 2017

Other multiwinners:

Kitchener Rangers (OHL): 82 and 03
London Knights (OHL): 05 and 16
Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL): 87 and 88
Oshawa Generals (OHL): 90 and 15
Ottawa 67's (OHL): 84 and 99
Portland Winter Hawks (WHL): 83 and 98
Spokane Chiefs (WHL): 01 and 08
Toronto Marlboros (OHA): 73 and 75

Teams that suck and never will win:
Princess George predatory hot women over 40
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:Number of times winning Memorial Cup since 1971...

Cornwall Royals (QMJHL) = (1972, 1980, 1981) Currently known as the Sarnia Sting in the OHL
Kamloops Blazers (WHL) = 3 times (1992, 1994, 1995) Undefeated in 1995 tournament when also the host.
Windsor Spitfires (OHL) = (2009, 2010, 2017) Undefeated as host in 2017 as hosts they were knock out in first round in 2017

Other multiwinners:

Kitchener Rangers (OHL): 82 and 03
London Knights (OHL): 05 and 16 as Hosts in 2005 they also were OHL Champions
Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL): 87 and 88
Oshawa Generals (OHL): 90 and 15
Ottawa 67's (OHL): 84 and 99 as hosts in 1999 they were knocked out in 2nd round
Portland Winter Hawks (WHL): 83 and 98 as hosts in 1983 they were knocked out in 4th round
Spokane Chiefs (WHL): 01 (error here should 1991) and 08
Toronto Marlboros (OHA): 73 and 75 Currently known as the Guelph Storm in the OHL

Teams that suck and never will win:
Princess George predatory hot women over 40
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

So only teams on the list to host, win league championship, and win the Memorial cup where:

Kamloops Blazers (1995)
London Knights (2005)

Only other team: Hull Olympiques in 1997

So in 36 years with the current format, the host team has only won the Memorial Cup fair and square 1 time in the WHL, 1 time in the OHL, and 1 time in the QMJHL.
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:So only teams on the list to host, win league championship, and win the Memorial cup where:

Kamloops Blazers (1995)
London Knights (2005)

Only other team: Hull Olympiques in 1997

So in 36 years with the current format, the host team has only won the Memorial Cup fair and square 1 time in the WHL, 1 time in the OHL, and 1 time in the QMJHL.

You could even go back to 1972, they are the only ones who Hosted & also won both their League Championship as well the Memorial Cup (Same year). The other 7 Memorial Cup winning hosts team were knocked out in league playoffs, then came back & won the Memorial Cup.
So as I've said there is huge advantage to be knocked out in League playoffs as the Host team, this is why I feel a format change is needed.

Added later: since 1983 the other 12 hosts that did not make it to finals at the Memorial Cup also were knock out in League playoffs.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

So the WHL is on the road to the Memorial Cup for 2019:

Eastern Conference playoff line up (Round 1)
Red Deer Rebels at Prince Albert Raiders
Medicine Hat Tigers at Edmonton Oil Kings
Moose Jaw Warriors at Saskatoon Blades
Calgary Hitmen at Lethbridge Hurricanes

Western Conference playoff line up (Round 1)
Seattle Thunderbirds at Vancouver Giants
Tri-City Americans at Everett Silvertips
Portland Winterhawks at Spokane Chiefs
Kamloops Blazers at Victoria Royals

2019 Memorial Cup is hosted by Halifax Mooseheads in the QMJHL (May 17, 2019 – May 26, 2019)
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The race to 2019 Memorial Cup is down the top 12:

QMJHL
Rouyn-Noranda Huskies vs Rimouski Océanic
Drummondville Voltigeurs vs Halifax Mooseheads

OHL
Saginaw Spirit vs Guelph Storm
Ottawa 67's vs Oshawa Generals

WHL
Spokane Chiefs vs Vancouver Giants
Edmonton Oil Kings vs Prince Albert Raiders

4 of these teams will move on to Memorial Cup, only 1 is guaranteed to be there. At is the Host the Halifax MooseHeads.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”