Babcock hired as Leafs' new coach

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Babcock hired as Leafs' new coach

Post by Straight Shooter »

Being a Leaf fan for over 50 years I was totally shocked by Toronto signing of former Red Wing coach Mike Babcock. This signing had everything to do with money and the Leafs were probably in better position to dish out 50 million for a head coach than everyone else. Does this mean that Dion Phaneuf and Phil Kessel will remain in Toronto for now?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/mik ... 92?cmp=rss
Last edited by Straight Shooter on May 20th, 2015, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Babcock hired as Leafs new coach

Post by GordonH »

I don't consider TML's a rebuild, it needs to burned down & start from scratch. First thing tell the owners to stay the hell away, just pay the bills.

Mike Babcock with this has taken on a massive headache.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Maybe hes the one that will be able to tell the Ownership to do just that....

But if he cant turn the Laffs around then well there is no hope for them.

I wonder if he has a clause on that contract too that even if he get fired he gets all of the money...I would.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Rumour has it that the Buffalo Sabres were offering a similar contract, as far as years and dollars.

But the Leafs can offer every spring and summer off...who can compete with that? :)
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Something else that is worth mentioning is that there was talk that the Leafs will be trying to lure Steven Stamkos from the Tampa Bay Lightning as a UFA. If the Leafs can get rid of some cap space then that possibility exist even more now that Babcock is the new head coach as well as probably the new GM as well. Should be a very interesting off season for sure and the NHL Entry Draft in June will be something hockey fans will not want to miss.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Straight Shooter wrote:Something else that is worth mentioning is that there was talk that the Leafs will be trying to lure Steven Stamkos from the Tampa Bay Lightning as a UFA. If the Leafs can get rid of some cap space then that possibility exist even more now that Babcock is the new head coach as well as probably the new GM as well. Should be a very interesting off season for sure and the NHL Entry Draft in June will be something hockey fans will not want to miss.

Stamkos becomes UFA July 1, 2016
So Tampa has a year to resign to new contract

Added later: Toronto has 2 players on roster that are liabilities to moving forward DP & PK
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

I think Babcock will sit down with Leaf management and deal with what the plans are for Phaneuf and Kessel as far as if they fit in with the Leafs building plans. So much for blowing the team apart and starting from stratch. Sure, they will try and unload some players but not to the extend of what we were led to believe.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ They do have some young talent going forward, but some need new surroundings (along with those 2 I mentioned).
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Babcock has already sat down with Leafs management and discussed the Leafs roster and their plans moving forward. He did that before he signed with them.

Who knows what the roster plans are, but obviously he liked the direction Shanahan is going and what they will be doing in the next years.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I agree with that Bretbaby, Babcock is very smart coach. I don't see either Phaneuf and Kessel in his future plans for TML'S
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Phaneuf and Kessel will both probably find new homes. Kessel still has a lot of value to a team who doesn't need him to be their best forward (the mistake Toronto made when they traded for him). Ditto for Phaneuf. They are both perceived to be a big part of the problem in Toronto, whether they actually are or not, and for that reason, they're likely to go. And they have trade value. A rebuild doesn't start by seeing what you can get for Troy Bodie.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Someone will pick up these players Toronto will most likely have to swallow a chuck of the remaining 42 million on Kessel contract as well 35.5 million on Phaneufs. Price of doing business, of course the tricky part in having both players wave there NTC. They will more then likely have short list of teams they are willing to move to, which handcuffs TMLs.

Added: I'm not a fan of NTC or NMC.

Background added later: Out of the deal with Calgary that brought Dion Phaneuf to Toronto. There is only 2 active NHL player out of it, the other is Matt Stajan.
As for Phil Kessel, Tyler Seguin is in Dallas, Jared Knight is in AHL & Dougie Hamilton is playing for Bruins.

Toronto could use Matt Stajan, Tyler Seguin & Dougie Hamilton
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Having just watched the news conference where Mike Babcock was introduced to the Toronto media it seemed to me that when Babcock said he wanted to "Maximize the Group" led me to believe that Dion Phaneuf will remain a Toronto Maple Leaf. As much as I dished Phaneuf throughout the years and especially this year for his lack of leadership and his inability to be a dominate defenceman he showed me later on in the season that he was willing to show some leadership and grit. There's no doubt that Detroit was looking into acquiring Phaneuf prior to the trade deadline with the endorsement from Babcock. Kessel on the other hand I think will be shopped around because you can't change a zebra's stripes but I could be mistaken. Work ethnic is what Babcock demands and you will certainly see that in what the Leafs will bring as a team for the up-coming season.
GordonH

Re: Babcock hired as Leafs' new coach

Post by GordonH »

^^^ if Dion is staying he had better be hardest working defenceman on Leafs, if not Mike will ship him out.
Kessel is over rated & over paid (same with Dion), Boston got rid of him for a reason. Of course not first time Boston got the better end over Toronto i.e Raycroft
Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Babcock hired as Leafs' new coach

Post by Steve-O »

His hiring is going to re-direct the spot light and this may allow some of TO's under achievers to step it up, not to mention it may be the motivating factor they need. Dion has already said he is looking forward to "working for him".

Hope TO fans aren't expecting an overnight turn around though.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”