Young Stars & Connor McDavid

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Young Stars & Connor McDavid

Post by Treblehook »

You all have a point there... I was just ranting as had intended on seeing this young man play on Monday and it wasn't going to happen. In terms of people taking a run at McDavid, that is probably going to happen in the regular season the same as it has with Crosby. As someone said, there are no body guards left in the NHL. As Connor grows and get stronger, I don't think he is going to have too much trouble looking after himself and he is not going to be easy to hit either.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I was there Monday also and was disappointed to see him held back.

Something I did note was a few of the WHL fellows I watched all last year now playing. They kinda just fit in, funny when the cream rises to the top they are just average and not the threat they were when playing in the WHL.

It was well worth the trip and the low cost tickets, I totally enjoyed it!
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Agreed. The Monday game was well worth the price of the ticket and the drive to Penticton.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Treblehook wrote:Agreed. The Monday game was well worth the price of the ticket and the drive to Penticton.

You bet. No McDavid or Nurse, but Draisaitl was impressive.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Connor is pretty well given to make the big club, it's the other young guns that Oilers have that are fighting to make the main team.
Good to see many given a chance to play
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

onestop67 wrote:You're the same guy that screams about Iron Man leaving. Challenge is working out just fine.

I fail to see the connection other than a pattern that I'm not a fan of mediocrity..

onestop67 wrote:McDavid score a goal and got an assist. He's hardly trying in this tournament...I guarantee coach told him to take it easy, don't get hurt. He also got benched for games 2 and 3. Not benched, but sat out cause this tournament just ain't worth him playing in.
That doesn't really make my case for not being that interested in him any better... part of me wonders if the Oilers have a Alexandre Daigle. But we will see soon enough.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 17th, 2015, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Madhue wrote:
I fail to see the connection other than a pattern that I'm not a fan of mediocrity..

Your non acceptance of mediocrity is well documented on these threads. Most people in our civilized society understand that the root word of mediocrity is medium. Which happens to be what most of us are including hockey players at even a professional level. Or triathletes at any level in any given race. Who left you in charge of the mediocrity definition? I would suggest that that would be a person that might think his/her pedestal was taller than anyone else's and whose opinion was supreme and omnipotent.

I would seriously pity the children of a parent that was not accepting of mediocrity.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Madhue
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Madhue »

twobits wrote:
Your non acceptance of mediocrity is well documented on these threads. Most people in our civilized society understand that the root word of mediocrity is medium. Which happens to be what most of us are including hockey players at even a professional level. Or triathletes at any level in any given race. Who left you in charge of the mediocrity definition? I would suggest that that would be a person that might think his/her pedestal was taller than anyone else's and whose opinion was supreme and omnipotent.
mcDavid billed as hockey phenom..... Was lacklustre in his preformance has anyone posted that he was was outstanding? Nope made sone great excuses though.

As for that local try-Athlon... Sure been paying off for us I hasn't it?

If you want to debate that take it to that thread and light that candle...

twobits wrote:I would seriously pity the children of a parent that was not accepting of mediocrity.
I don't think I said I was not accepting I said want a fan. i like sports to be exciting but I'm guessing you'd like to see the NHL scrape the Stanley Cup Play Offs and just hand out these to every instead
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Madhue wrote: mcDavid billed as hockey phenom..... Was lacklustre in his preformance has anyone posted that he was was outstanding? Nope made sone great excuses though.

Gee, McDavid had two assists and a few other good scoring chances last night, against the Flames. Actual NHL players in both teams lineups, preseason game or not.

Games 1st star...McDavid.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Preseason games are mainly used by coaching staff to see who deserved a chance in main team, once regular season starts.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Madhue wrote: I'm guessing you'd like to see the NHL scrape the Stanley Cup Play Offs and just hand out these to every instead

Nope. Just the Cucking Fanacks. Pushing five decades in the league now and I am thinking a participation ribbon is the very least I can accept to continue being a self flagellating fan.

onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

GordonH wrote:Preseason games are mainly used by coaching staff to see who deserved a chance in main team, once regular season starts.

Thus the reason I said "preseason game, or not".

And that's why he only played game 1 at the young stars tourney. He also played a few nights later in the annual Oilers vs U of A Edmonton game.

They definitely don't want him to get hurt playing any non important games.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

ps. I hate the Oilers and the Canucks.

Just like to follow the game.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

onestop67 wrote:ps. I hate the Oilers and the Canucks.

Just like to follow the game.

I'm a hockey fan, plus other sports.

Added: I'm born & raised BC'er so I follow BC teams.
BC Lions when I start watching CFL late 60's
Vancouver WhiteCaps since early 70s
Vancouver Canucks since when they were in WHL just before moving into NHL

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”