Manners when hunting

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Manners when hunting

Post by Fancy »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:Bright colours are good,...

Not if you're hunting.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
ifwisheswerehorses
Übergod

Post by ifwisheswerehorses »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:Bright colours are good,...

Fancy wrote:Not if you're hunting.

I was referring to hikers, mountain bikers, horseback riders etc, all the others out there who aren't hunting.
Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you’ll ever regret.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

You were not clear at all. This thread is about hunting.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

ifwisheswerehorses wrote:but I'd rather they heard me since my horse going through the bush could sound like a potential target.

Wouldn't look like a target - you should be safe.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Not a hunter, but they don't own the Forrest. If I saw one waving at me from a tree I would keep going on my designated route. And if I happened to scare away a deer in the process and save its life, I would sleep just fine that night.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

vegas1500 wrote:Not a hunter, but they don't own the Forrest. If I saw one waving at me from a tree I would keep going on my designated route. And if I happened to scare away a deer in the process and save its life, I would sleep just fine that night.

You must be a vegan then?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

vegas1500 wrote:Not a hunter, but they don't own the Forrest. If I saw one waving at me from a tree I would keep going on my designated route. And if I happened to scare away a deer in the process and save its life, I would sleep just fine that night.

Already said we share the territory. I don't worry about you so don't worry about us.
Lisasydneysophia

Post by Lisasydneysophia »

As far as I know, it is an offense to interfere with a lawful hunt. And you would be a jerk as well. But you may already know that. Let me put it more plainly. Imagine that you were out in the woods with you kids for a nice family hike. Now, out of the blue, my buddies and I tagged along, told dirty jokes, shouted obscenities, and acted like buffoons. My guess, is that you would be the first one to be righteously offended and telling everyone you know how you day was ruined. Of course you would quiet down the minute I said you didn't own the forrest[sic]. I think you don't get the point about sharing. It is about not being provocative.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Chances are you won't have saved a deer's life at all if you knew anything about hunting.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

As far as I know, it is an offense to interfere with a lawful hunt. And you would be a jerk as well. But you may already know that. Let me put it more plainly. Imagine that you were out in the woods with you kids for a nice family hike. Now, out of the blue, my buddies and I tagged along, told dirty jokes, shouted obscenities, and acted like buffoons. My guess, is that you would be the first one to be righteously offended and telling everyone you know how you day was ruined. Of course you would quiet down the minute I said you didn't own the forrest[sic]. I think you don't get the point about sharing. It is about not being provocative.

It would be against the law if I walked into an area that you were in and in the process scared a dear away??? You might be a ignorant *bleep*...but I Bet you know that.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Oct 25th, 2015, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote fixed.
Auto1
Board Meister

Post by Auto1 »

I know this is an 'old' story, but I grew up with my Mom at home (with the kids) and my Dad hunted. Quite honestly? I remember my Dad would eat the ends (heals) of the bread, saying it was his favorite part. I didn't know that we were so poor that he did it as a sacrifice to our family.

My Dad worked 40 hours a week. Or more. He volunteer with a lot of organisations. We didn't "go without" like some families. And we didn't use the food bank.

But my Dad's hunting did help sustain us. That was the meat that, by and large, we ate. That and fish that he had caught.

So whether it is illegal or not, if someone honestly sees fit to disrupt a hunt (a legal, well thought out hunt) then that person needs a talking to. A polite, but frank, appreciation for what some families go through.

(Later on my Mom got a job, and things went a lot better after that. I put myself through university and did quite well, in the end.). (Also, after my Mom got a job I noticed that the ends of the bread were not longer eaten... Funny how that happened. Never said anything to the old man... But I should have. He was a good person.).
Lisasydneysophia

Post by Lisasydneysophia »

It would be against the law if I walked into an area that you were in and in the process scared a dear away??? You might be a ignorant *bleep*...but I Bet you know that.[/quote]

An ignorant *bleep*, not a ignorant *bleep*. If the noun begins with a vowel, then you use the indirect article an not a. Oh, and would goes before it when framing a question, otherwise, it reads more like a statement, which is fine if you are using it for dramatic effect, but that is unlikely given your use of the wrong article. (run-on intended for dramatic effect) But you are right. If you unintentionally wandered into a clear cut and frightened deer away, then it is just unintended. Oh, I think you used ignorant wrong. Actually I know you did. To quote a favourite movie of mine, " I don't think it means what you think it means".... I'll see your three question marks and raise you four periods. Booooyaaaa!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Auto1 wrote:I know this is an 'old' story, but I grew up with my Mom at home (with the kids) and my Dad hunted. Quite honestly? I remember my Dad would eat the ends (heals) of the bread, saying it was his favorite part. I didn't know that we were so poor that he did it as a sacrifice to our family.

My Dad worked 40 hours a week. Or more. He volunteer with a lot of organisations. We didn't "go without" like some families. And we didn't use the food bank.

But my Dad's hunting did help sustain us. That was the meat that, by and large, we ate. That and fish that he had caught.

So whether it is illegal or not, if someone honestly sees fit to disrupt a hunt (a legal, well thought out hunt) then that person needs a talking to. A polite, but frank, appreciation for what some families go through.

(Later on my Mom got a job, and things went a lot better after that. I put myself through university and did quite well, in the end.). (Also, after my Mom got a job I noticed that the ends of the bread were not longer eaten... Funny how that happened. Never said anything to the old man... But I should have. He was a good person.).

Best post I've read in some time. Well done
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Btw - anyone who has eaten homemade bread usually goes for the heel as soon as it's out of the oven (best part). Most hunters respect other hunters and sharing the area with other adventurists is a given but I would think those getting firewood and quadders out for a ride don't overlap with hunters too much. Hope it's just a one-off.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Fancy wrote:Btw - anyone who has eaten homemade bread usually goes for the heel as soon as it's out of the oven (best part). Most hunters respect other hunters and sharing the area with other adventurists is a given but I would think those getting firewood and quadders out for a ride don't overlap with hunters too much. Hope it's just a one-off.

This time of year we come across hunters in thier blinds when hiking all the time, and those are just the ones we see as I'm sure we walk right by many. We came across one in the smith creek area and two up by crystal mountain just this weekend. In each case we just carried on. We've been told by hunters just to go about our business and pretend they're not there. In some instances we may actually help them by unintentionally herding the the dear right towards them. I do have to admit I'm almost getting used to walking through a shooting gallery. With hunting now being as trendy as yoga, and camo being worn almost as much as yoga pants, I'm sure it's only going to become worse.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”