2016 Summer Olympics

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 2016 Summer Olympics

Post by GordonH »

Donald G wrote:I can never understand why events that pit one human against another is almost always referred to as Country against Country. In Roman days in the Coliseum I wonder if the Lions, Christians and Gladiators were referred to only by Countries ??

Since each athlete marches in at opening ceremony under the flag of his or her country, it makes sense the athletes are playing for their country. Competing for their own personal best/team, winning the medal for themselves/team & country.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

These Olympics have more twists and turns than a soap opera ...

Drama at the 50K walk; Canadian Evan Dunfee loses bronze after Japanese protest.

An Athletics Canada official confirmed the Canadian race walker was bumped back to fourth.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics ... anese.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

WADR to both race walkers it looked to me that the Canadian moved toward the left to stop the Japanese race walker from passing on the left. It would be interesting to see the video directly from the front or back to determine which racer moved which way.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

And everything should have been reviewed completely before awarding any bronze medal..... or disqualify both and move on to next.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Postby GordonH » Yesterday, 11:16 am

Since each athlete marches in at opening ceremony under the flag of his or her country, it makes sense the athletes are playing for their country. Competing for their own personal best/team, winning the medal for themselves/team & country.

I have nothing against doing it that way as long as those paying the money keep in mind that involving the whole country is nothing but a well thought out marketing ploy. At the very basic level each event is simply person against person. All the rest is pageantry to build interest and make money.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Inbee Park pretty well had Gold from start of round 1, to finish with 16 under Wow
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Huge Party in Brazil mens Football wins Gold for first time at Olympics
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby GordonH » Today, 4:13 pm

Huge Party in Brazil mens Football wins Gold for first time at Olympics

The first win after a long dry spell generally depicts a team that probably played well above their "normal" game. It would be nice if every team in the Olympics could experience a "first win" in the form of a gold medal.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Since Brazil mens football has won every title at least once (if not more), Olympic Gold was the only one they were missing until today.

Donald G wrote:It would be nice if every team in the Olympics could experience a "first win" in the form of a gold medal.

Well Donald G if the team qualifies for Olympics... then if it makes it out of Pool Group... then wins the quarter final game... then win Semi-finals... then win Finals they to can raise a Gold Medal
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unread postby GordonH » Today, 5:50 pm

^^^ Since Brazil mens football has won every title at least once (if not more), Olympic Gold was the only one they were missing until today.

Do you not think that there is something very special about winning the First Gold Medal in a team sport?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Since Brazil mens football has won every title at least once (if not more), Olympic Gold was the only one they were missing until today.

Donald G wrote:Do you not think that there is something very special about winning the First Gold Medal in a team sport?

For athletes/team and fans/country, I would say yes. Why not
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Another Olympic games have come & gone, to return in 2 years in Pyeongchang South Korea for Winter games.

Added later: I will always have issues with Olympic games, not with hard working clean athletes.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

I would like to see Canada put more money and effort in to the larger team sports. They have the broadest appeal and the most airtime.

A significant number of medals that we won weren't even televised, which just goes to show how little interest there are in these sports.
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

I would like to see Canadians put more effort behind amateur athletics rather than being armchair experts once every four years when the Olympics rolls around. This is not a government challenge - this is something where every single person on this forum can contribute in some way to make sport better and more exciting. Sell 50/50 tickets, help organize billets, take a billet, be the registrar, help with gate admission, run the canteen, bring oranges... attend a local event and cheer on the athletes because it's exciting and not just because you know somebody in the event. None of the things that I've listed require a technical knowledge of the sport in question but every single thing adds value to amateur sport.

Growing competitive sport at the grassroots level is how you develop better outcomes at the elite level when the time comes for it. We can do better by resisting the urge to make it somebody else's problem.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Sorry HP but I am one of those "not my problem" people. At the base of the Olympics is the fact that every event is nothing but one human against another or one team against another. IMO the country against country thing has been invented by the IOC to con people from one country into believing that they are competing against another country with all of the money and fan participation that that engenders.

People endowed by nature to excel in a given sport competing against other people endowed by nature to excel. Other "average" or "normal" people are wasting their time trying to compete for the right to compete in the Olympics.

Pretty well dictated at birth.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”