Travel Trailer in the Okanagan

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Travel Trailer in the Okanagan

Post by TylerM4 »

Thinking about buying our 1st RV and was hoping for some local advice/wisdom. I've spent a lot of time in the woods, but have never used an RV so this is all new to me.

Some info:
- Family of 4. 2 little boys.
- Expect to do a fair amount of backwoods camping as our friends don't like to pay for a spot. Hoping to keep the trailer smaller sized as a result. Thinking 24' max.
- Tow vehicle is a newer F150 4x4 with factory tow package and brake controller. 7600lbs tow rating.
- Short trips. 1 week maximum with most being 3-5 days.
- Mostly local, not going to haul outside of BC and most of the time we'll stay within the Okanagan.
- We've got a budget of approx. $10,000 so definitely looking used, probably something in the early 2000's.

Questions:
- General suggestions for features that I should look for?
- Features that you feel aren't that useful or needed?
- Is a slide-out worth it? On smaller RV's they seem to add a lot of weight and cost without adding a lot of room.
- Suggestions for floor plans? We've been looking at models that have bunks in the rear for the boys, but perhaps we should consider others? I'd like to go smaller but seems you need to be 24' or longer for bunks and don't really like the idea of having to fold out a couch/dinette for the boys every night.
- Things to watch for when inspecting used units. What should I check/test? I know roof leaks are a big thing, what else?
- Outdoor kitchen/shower. To me this seems like a gimmick - especially the shower. Do people actually use and enjoy these features? Why would you want to shower outside when there's a shower inside you could use?
- Do weight equalizing hitches really cost like $1000? If so I guess I should be putting some consideration into whether the trailer comes with one or not.

Any advice for a complete newbie would be helpful. We aren't looking for anything fancy, just a decent and reliable starter unit that we can use for a few years before investing too heavily.

Thank-you!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Travel Trailer in the Okanagan

Post by TylerM4 »

Just noticed there is a camping forum. Sorry. Mods please feel free to move this.
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

Nice to see you're thinking of going camping already!! Good on ya!
Firstly, equalizers, (or sway bars), are nowhere near $1000.00. I believe you can get them for a good price at Princess Auto.
You say 2 small boys. If they're good with sleeping together, the dinettes are perfect for them, as they're not good for adults to sleep on.
Slide outs have their advantages, as well as disadvantages. More weight, off roading, (even some gravel with washboard), could shake them into not working, even though if it did, you can manually pull them out.
Good to have the axles flipped as well. Gives your trailer a lot more clearance for stumps, etc.
It's too bad I'm not ready to sell. I have the perfect unit for you, but committed to a lake lot this year, as we found we were no different from anyone else. We got complaceant and ended up not using it as much as we should have, so now, we don't have to load it, haul it, set up everytime, store it, etc.
I wish you the best of luck with your search. Trailer camping is a blast!!
If I think of anything else to add, I will.
Happy Camping!!!
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

You ask good questions!
Stick with your plan for a shorter trailer. Even at 24' you'll find it a challenge to get into some sites. We bought a 28' mostly because it was a screaming deal and the 3 of us can live in it indefinitely very comfortably, but it's a bearcat to get into some places. Even trying to stop for fuel in a strange place can be an exhausting experience.
Slides are nice. You will learn this when it rains and you are all trapped inside. They do add weight, but a 'lite' trailer with a slide isn't going to be that heavy in the lengths you're shopping for. Our trailer with an 8' slide is only 4600 lbs dry.
Outside kitchens are a wonderful thing. Who doesn't want to be outside when the weather is good? They bump the price considerably though. And outside showers are pretty standard equipment. THey are VERY handy for rinsing filthy feet or pets before entering the trailer. I even bought a tiny counter top washing machine that I put outside and hook to my outside shower. You never know when you'll run out of clean towels or need some bedding freshened up.
Get all 4 of you in it and try to move around. How usable is the bathroom? Does it have a full tub or shower? How big are the water storage tanks, grey, black, and fresh? If you plan to remote camp with 4 people that is VERY important. Our first trailer only had a 5 gallon black water tank. You'd fill that pretty quickly.
Camping with your kids is an experience they will always remember. Whatever you buy you'll make great memories in!
ShannonG
Board Meister

Post by ShannonG »

Also, when shopping used units look for any kind of water damage. Floors should not have lifting lino or soft spots. Ceiling should be crisp white, no stains. These thing are made of old pop cans and balsa wood and even a drop of water is ruinous.
Slides with plumbing in them should be checked particularly carefully. Our kitchen sink is in the slide and the drain line got a leak in it from the back and forth motion. Usually if you extend the slide just partially you can peer back there and see what kind of shape everything is in.
Look for the old school cable slides and not the hydraulic ones. I have heard horror stories of hydraulic slides quitting but we have never had a moment's trouble with our noisy mechanical ones.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Two small boys won't be two small boys forever. Don't buy a unit that your kids will outgrow in 2 years.
Most important things...most units have EDPM rubber roofs. If it has a ladder, you can likely walk on it. Is the rubber clean bright white? That's a sign that it has been maintained by conditioning. Is the caulk around the vents cracked? Do you see big gobs of silicone? (If so, run. Silicone is not compatible with rubber roofs!
I regularly maintain my 2011, and still needed 24 tubes of Dicor to fix the cracked caulking. At $15 a tube, it's not cheap.
I agree about ceiling...if there are stains, it's probably not what you are looking for. If the floor is mushy anywhere, you likely won't be able to fix it.
Does the fridge work both on propane and 120 volt?
Do the furnace and air conditioner work?
Test the batteries. If they are low on water, it's a sign that they haven't been properly maintained.
Look at the brakes..or get someone to look for you.
Does the awning go out and in smoothly?
Is there uneven wear on the tires? An alignment is $1,500-$2,000.
Does the water heater work? At this time of year, there should be lots of evidence of winterization. The drain on the water tank should be out. There should be pink antifreeze stains in the shower, sinks, and toilet.
With two small kids, the outside shower is a must.
Are you looking at dealers only or private as well? Don't be afraid to look in the USA. Even with a 74 cent dollar, it might be worthwhile.
It seems that used 5th wheels are cheaper than used travel trailers. Don't count them out...there are many that can be towed with a half ton. Pros? Mom and Dad get more privacy at night. They tow oh-so-easy. Used hitches are cheap.
Cons? You lose most of your truck box. That means you will need a bike rack on the back of the trailer.
Good luck.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Not much to offer here other than commenting on what should be one of your main concerns, which is water/moisture damage.

Shannon already mention, roof is your priority. Definitely doesn't take a pro to spot/locate water damage on older units. Roof outside and in, all seams. Again, as Shannon point out - discolouration and separation seams and panels. Other things like a "warped" fit and finish from one panel/surface to the next is a good tell tale.

Next, is hvac. Gas/Fittings, plumbing, heating, etc.

IMO if this stuff passes, everything else is cosmetic.

- a quick note on showers. :)
If you're "ocd" to any degree about organization and cleanliness, then an outside shower could be huge. ... I think most people who prefer RV's do so because they can keep some semblance of normality :)

A day of outdoor, dirt, dusty backwoods whatever and you're able to retire to a (semi) comfortable bed and other amenities from home. That said, having a shower outside will allow you to leave the outdoors outside. You can also keep your animals/kids from messing the place up.

Happy campy
Last edited by monroe on Mar 13th, 2016, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If you are going to be dry camping (backwoods) then somethings to consider are, types and number of batteries (6v will last longer than 12v and either must be deep cycle) average life about 5 years. So you are going to need/want either a generator or solar power. You will also want LED lighting to last longer and you can order those to fit direct from China. I did my complete 5th wheel for less than $50. The same lights here are $18ea.

I wouldn't opt for a "light" trailer as they are called that for a reason. Frames are not as heavy duty and can warp/bend easier on rough roads and the bouncing around might also be a good reason to avoid slides. They are very nice to have though and if you don't think they add much room then go look at a few at the dealers to get an idea. A dealer can be a good place to purchase as you might get a warranty with it as well.

Another thought would you kids prefer to sleep in a tent? That might be one way to do it too. If the weather gets bad then they move inside.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are several forums dedicated to Camping/RV'ing that can help with questions you may have.

http://forum.rvusa.com/
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Power...gas generator vs Solar panels & batteries

My old inverter doesn't run off of the batteries, 110 only, this means a generator

I know that the newer inverters will function off the batteries so solar could be the way to go.
A lot less hassle and annoyance than the generator. Mine is so quiet you can sit beside it and carry on a conversation but.....
it is still an annoyance, it's 75 lbs and you have to pack fuel.

This is all luxury mind you, coffee maker, toaster and a dvd player/flatscreen for rainy days and
before bed time.
or, old school...board games and cards on the rainy days and nights and a book before bed.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Dirty Biker - I think you have a convertor (120 VAC - 12VDC) - not an inverter - (12 VDC - 120 VAC with either modified simulated sine wave or true sine wave).
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

$10,000 will buy a lot of hotel rooms or weekends in a cabin, just the money you'll save on fuel by not towing will pay for a chunk of those accommodations. Then there's storage, maintenance, insurance, repairs, trailers are a pia.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Thanks everyone! Some excellent food for thought.

Sounds like the roof and HVAC are the most important places to check and I'll have to give slide-outs another thought. :130:
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

django wrote:$10,000 will buy a lot of hotel rooms or weekends in a cabin, just the money you'll save on fuel by not towing will pay for a chunk of those accommodations. Then there's storage, maintenance, insurance, repairs, trailers are a pia.

But think of all the idiots at the hotel and at the cabin rental places! You might think it is a PIA, but to someone like me it is the best thing ever, haul that baby up the hill, set it up where nobody is around and enjoy! We used to park ours at one place for two weeks, drive down daily for work, go back at night, stay the entire weekend, then move the trailer somewhere else..and repeat...slept in my bed at home 3 nights that summer, and 5 nights the next summer. If you have a decent driveway there is no need for storage, insurance isn't too much depending on what you get, and maintenance/repairs we never had anything come up, but that depends on what you're buying.

If you like to get to the out of the way places, you definitely do not want a big trailer, and clearance was the biggest thing we were after, some of those back roads can get pretty rough.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

django wrote:$10,000 will buy a lot of hotel rooms or weekends in a cabin, just the money you'll save on fuel by not towing will pay for a chunk of those accommodations. Then there's storage, maintenance, insurance, repairs, trailers are a pia.

Hotel rooms and cabins generally have other people. Something many of us try to avoid while taking our RV's to the bush for some solitude.

We picked up a 24' motorhome for $3,500 a few years ago and have got more than our use of it. We even took it for a 2 week trip to the island last year and never had an issue. Mind you, when we camp local I drive a second vehicle up for firewood gathering but that's pretty minor when you can get to gorgeous spots going within an hour in any direction. It's also great that it expands your camping season. Last trip last year was the weekend before Thanksgiving and this year we just spent Easter up the mountain. RV life is the best. All factors included, we are sitting at about $105 per night of use for the 4 of us over the last 3 years.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”