Fishing Mill Creek

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Fishing Mill Creek

Post by Straight Shooter »

Has anyone got any information about fishing Mill Creek? I know years ago(50+) old timers would say that brook trout were plentiful in the area along Spall but urbanization has pretty well destroyed that lower part of Mill all along Enterprise. Also in the late 60's early 70's there was a hugh kokanee spawning presence around the old KSS property. Any information would be appreciated. Also which mountain lakes feeds Mill besides Postill? Would be great to see this creek recover somehow.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Fishing Mill Creek

Post by TylerM4 »

I think Postil lake is the only lake that feeds mill creek.

Yes, there's fish in it. I haven't fished it myself, but I've spent a lot of time hiking in Mill Creek Regional Park and often see people fishing and signs of fishing activity. I wouldn't eat anything that comes out of there tho.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

@25 yrs ago used to catch some pretty playful Brookies out of Mill.

Just at dawn and dusk in some of the back-eddies behind Central Green Golf Course
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

dirtybiker wrote:@25 yrs ago used to catch some pretty playful Brookies out of Mill.
Just at dawn and dusk in some of the back-eddies behind Central Green Golf Course

I've always wanted to take my grandson creek fishing and ideally in the area behind the old Central Greens Golf Course but the only fish I ever saw we're suckers. Is that creek so polluted now that Brookies and other game fish are now non existing? I have heard that Mill Creek behind the airport may be the best place to go.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

I spent many lazy summer days of my youth back in the early 70's, fishing Mill Creek from the Cemetery up to my uncles farm, beside the old Marshall feedlot.

There were always nice 2 lb Brooks and rainbows and the odd Kokanee in the pools back then especially behind the old Central Greens course.

Great memories of a greener, cleaner, old school, pre-development Kelowna...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Terris wrote:I spent many lazy summer days of my youth back in the early 70's, fishing Mill Creek from the Cemetery up to my uncles farm, beside the old Marshall feedlot.

There were always nice 2 lb Brooks and rainbows and the odd Kokanee in the pools back then especially behind the old Central Greens course.

Great memories of a greener, cleaner, old school, pre-development Kelowna...

After talking with few long time residents of Kelowna area, Mill creek took a huge hit when fibreglass manufacturer (was located on or near current day Space Centre). Had some spills of either or both resin &/or acetone.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

GordonH wrote: After talking with few long time residents of Kelowna area, Mill creek took a huge hit when fibreglass manufacturer (was located on or near current day Space Centre). Had some spills of either or both resin &/or acetone.

That's "progress" for ya...

:-X
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

After talking with few long time residents of Kelowna area, Mill creek took a huge hit when fibreglass manufacturer (was located on or near current day Space Centre). Had some spills of either or both resin &/or acetone.

I kind of figured that pollution from industry along the creek had a very huge impact with the fish population that basically made it impossible for fish to survive. Wouldn't it be great to see Mill Creek brought back to what it once was and would stocking the creek help or would it just be a waste of Goverment funding. Is there any penalty for company's that are responsible for this destruction?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Straight Shooter wrote:I kind of figured that pollution from industry along the creek had a very huge impact with the fish population that basically made it impossible for fish to survive. Wouldn't it be great to see Mill Creek brought back to what it once was and would stocking the creek help or would it just be a waste of Goverment funding. Is there any penalty for company's that are responsible for this destruction?

Wonder how many of those companies still operating today. i.e that fiberglass company
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

The fibreglass company is still here. They are on Sexsmith Rd now. Although they are a much smaller operation now with the closing of the Kelowna Western Star plant years ago.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

KL3-Something wrote:The fibreglass company is still here. They are on Sexsmith Rd now. Although they are a much smaller operation now with the closing of the Kelowna Western Star plant years ago.

Only 1 and its Infinite Marine Inc (formerly Campion), other is now Mario's towing lot.

So if that was the one that was next to Mill creek, won't be able get any money there for creek restoration
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

I was referring to KIP.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

KL3-Something wrote:I was referring to KIP.

So they were company that had spills (according to those long time residents I talked with, they never mentioned companys name)where current space centre site, interesting.

Out of business now, thats the one who in now Mario's Towing lot.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”