Ron MacLean or George Stroumboulopoulos

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.

Which one is a better choice to Host HNIC

Ron MacLean
88%
George Stroumboulopoulos
13%

Total votes: 24

techrtr
Übergod

Re: Ron MacLean or George Stroumboulopoulos

Post by techrtr »

Cannot stand George Stombowhatever and his sidekicks. I can see why CBC brought in a bunch of hipsters though but I guess their experiment failed. Ultimately it doesn't really matter to me because I lost all interest in the NHL years ago.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Straight Shooter wrote:Yes, I miss the Satelite Hot Stove as well as Al Strachan, Mike Milbury and Pierre Lebrunt. I personally thought that George Stoumboulopoulos didn't do that bad of a job as host of HNIC, I find that Nick Kypreos especially on Hockey Central at Noon seems to be sort of a bully know it all and JP Stock is just a little bit corny for my liking. John Shannon I find very knowledgeable with not just hockey but other sports as well and I do like Doug McLean because of his past coaching, front office experience that he gives the viewers a different prospective. Former Leafs GM Gord Stellach I also find very knowledgeable and quite witty at times even though his tenture with the Leafs was rather desasterous.

Good stuff, I think we are on the same page.

Personally, as someone who remembers listening to Strombo back when he was a sports reporter on FAN 590, I know what he can be like and that he really is up for the job. However, the direction Rogers/SN wanted things to go in meant that he was hamstrung from the get-go.

Ron is nigh impossible to replace. Funny thing is, it was exactly the same sentiment when Hodge was fired, years ago.

Ignoring keeping things the same, I feel SN would have been better off having Ron & Strombo together for the first season, at least. As in, in studio together, splitting duties in a different way - make it work in a way that Strombo gets eased in & learn from Ron, rather than what they actually did do: almost entirely push Ron aside & throw Strombo to the wolves with a very underwhelming & lacklustre supporting cast. Doomed to failure. (esp. with Canadian teams sucking so bad - I attribute that fact to at least 50% of the ratings drop, alone - well, maybe that and people cutting the cord - I personally streamed a lot of games last season, "illegally")
Your bias suits you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ yep, over the last number of years I've been watching less & less NHL and more WHL & BCHL.
Canadian owners need to tell Gary to go :cuss: himself, take back Lord Stanleys Mug
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Nothing personal against George but why Rogers decided to *bleep* with success is beyond me. Ron is simply the best at what he did and he is a hockey guy through and through. Very knowledgeable and very smart.

Change is great when it's needed. It wasn't needed here and I, for one am really happy that Mclean is back.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

MacLean sells nice nostalgia. Never anything controversial. Watch him squirm and try to apologize or soften things when Don Cherry rips somebody. What flavour is MacLean? Vanilla. Strombolopolous was an attempt by HNIC to try to boost the ratings by attracting a younger audience because of the plunging ratings that televised hockey has had in the past decade. But he didn't help.

The reffing has become even worse than before. Wonder why sometimes that an obvious icing whistle is "waved off"? Because it isn't time for a commercial yet. Ever wonder sometimes why an obvious penalty isn't called? Because they've called the last 3 penalties on that that team, and they can't have 4 in a row. Or it's on the home team and they're already down by 2 or more goals, and if they give up another, the TV audience will reach for the remotes. And they wonder why ratings are down.

Bringing back vanilla MacLean won't help
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

bob vernon wrote:MacLean sells nice nostalgia. Never anything controversial. Watch him squirm and try to apologize or soften things when Don Cherry rips somebody. What flavour is MacLean? Vanilla. Strombolopolous was an attempt by HNIC to try to boost the ratings by attracting a younger audience because of the plunging ratings that televised hockey has had in the past decade. But he didn't help.

The reffing has become even worse than before. Wonder why sometimes that an obvious icing whistle is "waved off"? Because it isn't time for a commercial yet. Ever wonder sometimes why an obvious penalty isn't called? Because they've called the last 3 penalties on that that team, and they can't have 4 in a row. Or it's on the home team and they're already down by 2 or more goals, and if they give up another, the TV audience will reach for the remotes. And they wonder why ratings are down.

Bringing back vanilla MacLean won't help

hmm interesting take. Can't say it doesn't make sense. I especially agree with how the game is called. It's *bleep* me off for many years, actually. Here's another example:

Your bias suits you.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

my favourite rule is the defensive zone over the glass. the refs can look as sheepish as they want. it HAS to be called no matter what. that should be what refs are for and do.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

sooperphreek wrote:my favourite rule is the defensive zone over the glass. the refs can look as sheepish as they want. it HAS to be called no matter what. that should be what refs are for and do.

That's one rule that I hate. Imagine, game seven of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals and two teams are tied up at 1-1 in over-time. An ill attempt to clear the puck accidently goes over the glass and now your team is playing one man short? Like my buddy Don Cherry says, have every NHL rink with the same glass height throughout the league, in fact increase the height that won't impede with the TV cameras. Wasn't that a joke when the Pittsburg Penguins were called for not one but three delay of game penalties in a roll which enabled the Capitals to tie the game and send it to over-time. My feeling is to leave it in the hands of the on ice referees to decide if it was intentional or unintentional. If putting in that stupid rule was to increase more scoring in the game then look at the size of goalie equipment compared to the 1980's then you'll know why scoring is down. If I was a NHL GM everyone of my backup goalie would be a sumo wrestler 6'6 450lbs. Take that Gerry Bettman!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#169252 --he is leaving to explore new creative opportunties lol lol is that the new way of saying he was fired
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I for one never watched hockey to listen to commentators go on and on, majority of the game usually I have it muted. Usual the only part I would have sound on was HotStove (back when HNIC was a CBC program).
Sportsnet ratings I suspect are more closely related to Canadian teams winning record, which sucked this past season badly. Whats happen so far in offseason with Toronto, just getting an actual #1 goalie has added to win column big time. If Edmonton can get a defense, that will improve their club.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

Straight Shooter wrote:That's one rule that I hate. Imagine, game seven of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals and two teams are tied up at 1-1 in over-time. An ill attempt to clear the puck accidently goes over the glass and now your team is playing one man short? Like my buddy Don Cherry says, have every NHL rink with the same glass height throughout the league, in fact increase the height that won't impede with the TV cameras. Wasn't that a joke when the Pittsburg Penguins were called for not one but three delay of game penalties in a roll which enabled the Capitals to tie the game and send it to over-time. My feeling is to leave it in the hands of the on ice referees to decide if it was intentional or unintentional. If putting in that stupid rule was to increase more scoring in the game then look at the size of goalie equipment compared to the 1980's then you'll know why scoring is down. If I was a NHL GM everyone of my backup goalie would be a sumo wrestler 6'6 450lbs. Take that Gerry Bettman!

i vehemently disagree. the "intent" greying of the rules is what is ruining the game. its like the NHL is buying into the participation trophy no consequences philosophy out there. you flip a puck because you were too lazy to go around the boards in a game 7 and lose? own it and learn from it. boo *bleep* hoo!!
the intent garbage is why goalies get hurt while king H gets sneezed on and there is a whistle. and its not all the refs fault. its pressure from the owners because there is money to be made. pretty soon we will end up having the rep of the NBA refs and every winner will be suspect and have an asterisk.
if its a penalty - call it. end of story. it doesnt have to slow down the game. cut out the penalty explanation for dum american fans and you save 5 minutes right there. just send the punks to the box and drop the puck.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

strombo is riding his goldwing through america and instagraming the experience i hear. he is probably schlepping for a hipster job from millenials in the states.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

GordonH wrote:I for one never watched hockey to listen to commentators go on and on, majority of the game usually I have it muted. Usual the only part I would have sound on was HotStove (back when HNIC was a CBC program).
Sportsnet ratings I suspect are more closely related to Canadian teams winning record, which sucked this past season badly.

Pretty much. Here's another thing - real true hardcore hockey fans watch the games no matter who is hosting. I'm thinking that many Canadians are much more fickle than they think they are.
Your bias suits you.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I for one never watched hockey to listen to commentators go on and on, majority of the game usually I have it muted. Usual the only part I would have sound on was HotStove (back when HNIC was a CBC program).
Sportsnet ratings I suspect are more closely related to Canadian teams winning record, which sucked this past season badly.

Woodenhead wrote:Pretty much. Here's another thing - real true hardcore hockey fans watch the games no matter who is hosting. I'm thinking that many Canadians are much more fickle than they think they are.

Play by play announcer usually don't bother me (useless he's slow, I mute anyway), it's other guy that can be extremely annoying to listen to. i.e John Garrett
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

GordonH wrote:Play by play announcer usually don't bother me (useless he's slow, I mute anyway), it's other guy that can be extremely annoying to listen to. i.e John Garrett

Same here. What bothers me even less is the host / panel. As annoying as they can be if you watch them, it's not part of the game & easily ignored. Example: I always skip coach's corner.
Your bias suits you.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”