Kelowna needs a downhill bike park EXACTLY like Kamloops

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
ogopogodude
Fledgling

Kelowna needs a downhill bike park EXACTLY like Kamloops

Post by ogopogodude »

If anybody is familiar with Kamloops, there has been a wonderful bike park that is used for downhill racing and general biking. In my opinion, build it and they will come. And it isn't even expensive to build. Have BobCat, will create. Yes, there is Vernon's Silver Star mountain, and that is fantastic. But Kelowna could use a smaller version of SS, ... for youngsters and anybody of any age, really. Somewhere near Okanagan Mountain would be great, but anywhere would work. Bike shop owners would be all for it as this would spark interest in the sport. Businesses would boom in the city. (Also, getting off topic, and in my opinion, is that downhill biking should be a summer Olympic sport).
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna needs a downhill bike park EXACTLY like Kamloops

Post by Gilchy »

Someone hasn't been biking up Gillard.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Just got back from riding the Test of Metal in Squamish. We went for 5 days to enjoy more of the area and to ride a ton of other trails. I have to agree with ogopogodude, Kelowna is missing a big opportunity. A skills park right near the bottom of Knox would be ideal and build local trails - including Gillard - to a higher standard and add another dimension to Kelowna's attractions.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Williams Lake has some like Kamloops too. Starts right at my dad's place. Kelowna should join the club, though you can't have everything, so maybe not.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Even Merritt has one
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Kelowna had one off of Springfield. It cost taxpayers $250k and it is hardly used, all gone to rack and ruin.

Sad state of affairs. It should be sold off for development to recoup the costs.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

lightspeed wrote:Kelowna had one off of Springfield. It cost taxpayers $250k and it is hardly used, all gone to rack and ruin.

Sad state of affairs. It should be sold off for development to recoup the costs.

Downhill bike park on Springfield, where exactly
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

lightspeed wrote:Kelowna had one off of Springfield.

Too bad it's not downhill and it's not a park.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Kelowna (and the Okanagan in general) only think about the money. They think, "how much land can we sell at maximum price as quickly as possible so we can vote ourselves another raise?" By contrast, Kamloops thinks,"maybe we should create the largest urban park in British Columbia so that it can be used for mountain biking."
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

ogopogodude wrote:If anybody is familiar with Kamloops, there has been a wonderful bike park that is used for downhill racing and general biking. In my opinion, build it and they will come. And it isn't even expensive to build. Have BobCat, will create. Yes, there is Vernon's Silver Star mountain, and that is fantastic. But Kelowna could use a smaller version of SS, ... for youngsters and anybody of any age, really. Somewhere near Okanagan Mountain would be great, but anywhere would work. Bike shop owners would be all for it as this would spark interest in the sport. Businesses would boom in the city. (Also, getting off topic, and in my opinion, is that downhill biking should be a summer Olympic sport).

So go buy the land and build it.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Glacier wrote:Kelowna (and the Okanagan in general) only think about the money. They think, "how much land can we sell at maximum price as quickly as possible so we can vote ourselves another raise?" By contrast, Kamloops thinks,"maybe we should create the largest urban park in British Columbia so that it can be used for mountain biking."

How so, when local mountain bikers were allocated $250k to build a park? Your comments make no sense. It was a generous offer, totally wasted as the park was never maintained and became a weed infested wasteland.
Last edited by lightspeed on Jun 24th, 2016, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

GordonH wrote:
Downhill bike park on Springfield, where exactly

Hollywood Road. Still there, I think.

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

lightspeed wrote:

Hollywood Road. Still there, I think.

Still there...and yes Even Steven, it is a park.

No, it is not a 'downhill park'....but has a lot of hills, towers, obstacles, etc for beginners and intermediate riders to practice on.
It is, unfortunately, usually pretty empty.

Kelowna has one thing that Kamloops doesn't - hundreds of miles of forested mountains right in our back yards. They are used by mountain bikes constantly...trust me, they almost run down my dog and myself every time we go hiking. :-X
So, with all of those mountain trails for free - I can't really see any of these guys actually paying to use a park very often.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Farmmaa wrote:Kelowna has one thing that Kamloops doesn't - hundreds of miles of forested mountains right in our back yards.

Surely you're kidding. I used to live in Kamloops, and there were hundres of miles of forested mountains right behind my house.
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Downhill bike park on Springfield, where exactly

lightspeed wrote:Hollywood Road. Still there, I think.

So what the Greenway, other then that its just bunch of orchards
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”