Do you picnic with children at the lake on Knox Mountain?

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
mmt

Do you picnic with children at the lake on Knox Mountain?

Post by mmt »

By looking on google image, that little lake looks so beautiful though it's seems quite close to new houses of Highpointe Pl. Have you or would you go picnic there with kids, family, dogs? How was it? :)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Do you picnic with children at the lake on Knox Mountain

Post by GordonH »

mmt wrote:By looking on google image, that little lake looks so beautiful though it's seems quite close to new houses of Highpointe Pl. Have you or would you go picnic there with kids, family, dogs? How was it? :)

Paul's Tomb is a nice area to have picnic, its about 10 to 20 minute hike (depending on ones walking speed) from the parking lot at the base of Knox Mt.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jul 11th, 2016, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off-topic.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Are you referring to Kathleen Lake? Or okanagan lake at the base of the mountain?
You and 71 others Like this post
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

There are two lakes up on Knox, One has a road (now closed) and a playground that I think is going to be removed. There is a small lake there but it dries up now most years. Lovely spot for a picnic

There is a second lake, if you were to take the road up knox there is a trail on the right hand side of the road. It is a couple hundred metres before the gated road to the first lake.

Both are great spots and both are nice for picnics.

Pauls' tomb is also a nice spot.

I quite enjoy Knox.

Lots of deer. kids love to look

the Bucks will be getting aggressive soon for mating.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

mmt wrote:By looking on google image, that little lake looks so beautiful though it's seems quite close to new houses of Highpointe Pl. Have you or would you go picnic there with kids, family, dogs? How was it? :)

I should add I do see bylaw so watch the dog if he is off leash... happy picnicking
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Not swimming lakes..just to warn you..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
mmt

Post by mmt »

Thank you guys for all fabulous tips! I attached the cropped image of the lake with road reference, I really don't know the name of the lake as I'm still in the process of browsing the city but it's seems so pleasant to spend an afternoon picnic with my kids and my dog (and cat too?) :biggrin:
I fall in love with Knox mtn since our first time visit through Woodpark Ct to view a property to purchase though we missed the opportunity there and end up in Dilworth. We actually took a short hike along Magic Estate trail towards North and end up at a breath taking view of the Okanagan Lake. It's a perfect slope for an easy walk but missed to check out the southern part which can lead to that lake.
Of course we won't swim in it but my thick furred goldie might want to run in for a cold dip, will make sure to leash him back after and hope that's ok :D .
You guys have a great summer and don't forget your Sun screen!!
Attachments
The Knox.JPG
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Joe Public »

Just a little note on the history of the lake. Prior to 2006, the lake was undeveloped and not part of Knox Mountain Park, but part of the Marshal orchards which are directly below it on Clifton. The City traded a higher density rating for the townhouse developments on Clifton, in exchange for bringing the lake into the park. I don't believe that the lake is actually part of the official park, but is a 99 year lease. For the few years that the land was in transition, it was the site of numerous large grad parties and I can remember cleaning up thousands of broken bottles and garbage.

As someone who lived in the park for two years, I believe the best swimming and recreational area in Kelowna is Pauls Tomb. It has a spectacular beach and great swimming area, and the long walk in discourages serious partiers. For anyone that doesn't know, there is a full sized statue of Ogopogo seated on the bottom of the lake, about 40 feet off the beach, and in 20 feet of water. Don't let the kids know when you give them their diving masks as summer beach presents.

A little note to GMAN313. The mulie stags gather in the park in September and can often been seen gathering in the forested flats behind the playground. Late afternoons they will all sit together. I once counted 9 together at one time, and they stayed long enough for me to return home to bring my wife back to see them.

Lots of porcupines in the park as well, all harmless unless a pooch gets their nose too close. Look for the bark to be completely skinned off of immature evergreen trees, usually about 10 feet up, where they can sit for days of uninterrupted eating.

Special place, enjoy.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

And the entire mountain was donated to the city back in the day by the Dr himself was it not?
Sure do love Rutland!!
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

phasyluck wrote:And the entire mountain was donated to the city back in the day by the Dr himself was it not?

http://www.kelowna.ca/CM/page2063.aspx

go here and click on knox mountain history pdf. lays out a nice timeline
mmt

Post by mmt »

Got to check out Paul's Tomb, looks like just what I dream about for years!!

Credit photo to Catsass (whatever that means lol)
Attachments
Catsass.JPG
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

For the real long time Kelowna residents visiting Paul's Tomb you might remember the old beautiful colonial type home that sat on the flats just above the beach area. I used to know who the owners name was because my *bleep* brother and his friend broke into the place in around 1966 and I was blamed too when the police came to Bankhead school to speak with us.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”