e-bike kits

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Graham Adder
Guru

e-bike kits

Post by Graham Adder »

I've been looking at e-bike kits for the DIY'er.
I'm thinking that given that most of my riding is done to get the heck away from people, that usually leads me off road, up hill and far distances.

I've got a full suspension cross country mountain bike.
It's a great bike, so no need to upgrade anything.

I'm thinking that a 1000 watt mid drive (like the bafang 1000) is my best choice.
From what I have come to understand, the hub drives are best suited to more level ground without continuous uphill grinds.
I've learned that overheating a hub drive is easy if you keep punishing it up the steep.
A mid drive pedal assist is apparently better suited to running hot, and also cools better. That translates into less wear of the motor. That considered, I also understand that the mechanical components to a mid drive suffer wear that is non-existent in the hubster.

I'm a big boy with an extra large framed bike to suit, so my riding geometry is all good. I'm just mentioning this because it's something to consider with the type of kit I buy.

I'm not riding my bike as much as I should. Partly because the fun isn't there in the same way as the motorbikes, three wheelers and quads I've become used to.
I enjoy my bike most on downhill courses, so I don't have to peddle so much. Just being honest.
I miss exploring though. It's just so much work to climb all these freaking mountains. lol

Another question:
I've read from e-bike riders that are in favor of frame mounted battery packs, and others that have their batteries in a backpack. Apparently the backpack offers a lighter bike under you, so maneuvering in the bush is easier.
Riding with it frame mounted keeps the center of gravity lower, so increases some of the handling characteristics.

I'm totally green on this (hehe punniness intended) e-bike thing, so any input will be appreciated and considered.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: e-bike kits

Post by dirtybiker »

I have no experience with e-bike stuff.......
I would venture a guess that still having a good amount of peddle input would likely be the
way to go though.
Not using the system as a replacement for being a lowly peddler but more to supplement
the (ad)venture for grander returns on your investment. (going further, less effort)
Kind of a work share system.
Rely on it too much, it tuckers out, rely on peddle pusher too much, they tucker out.

Other than that, nothing compares to a combustion engine.

50years will be much better versed than I on this though.

(I know combustion is louder but, also more versatile, lighter, and reliable.)
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

dirtybiker wrote:nothing compares to a combustion engine.

50years will be much better versed than I on this though.

(I know combustion is louder but, also more versatile, lighter, and reliable.)

I have a bike with a Skyhawk 80 cc mixed gas (2 cycle/2 stroke) engine as well as another Skyhawk kit still in the box.
I'm kinda digging the 1000 watt mid drive E-Kit though. Seems to me it will get me up steep hills with a bit of peddling. The Skyhawk will NOT get me up into the hills I want to access without considerable help from me, the tired old guy.
I'm not entirely sure about the E-Kit though, as I haven't had any experience with them.
I see a similar drive set-up on an ad in Castanet's Marketplace though, and the ad speaks of climbing any hills around here. Makes me think they must do Ok.
There is also the possibility that the Skyhawk outfitted bike I have is a bum-dud. I bought it used. The kit I got after I bought the one, so that I could use it on a cruiser. Haven't got that cruiser yet, and really wanna get my mountain bike going if it's worth doing. The Skyhawk won't fit the mountain bike I have.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

When I can afford it, this great e-bike value is offered for less than cdn$800 at a local department store. E-bikes used to unaffordable for many people, but now they’re going mainstream, with some very doable affordability options. In the meantime I’ll build one using an affordable conversion kit https://www.walmart.ca/search/ebike/page-1
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Sorry, don't have a lot to add myself. Just wanted to share some feedback from my co-workers who are into e-bikes pretty big. They feel that a 1000W motor isn't enough for long steep hills. Especially if you're a heavier dude.

I think you should rent or borrow a bike for a day and try it out before you invest. Probably won't find an ebike conversion to test, but even if you test out an offroad bike with a 1000W motor it should tell you a lot about what the experience will be like with a motor of that size.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”