Laine vs Matthews

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Laine vs Matthews

Post by Straight Shooter »

I'm just wondering if the Leafs management and scouting staff did a proper assessment between Patrik Laine and Auston Matthews at this years Entry Draft. Laine who scored his 17th goal of the season tonight tying him in the goal scoring lead with Sidney Crosby scores the majority of his goal from top of the face-off circle on a one timer whereas Matthews goals are scored right in front of the net. Somehow, I wished the Leafs had lost the Draft lottery to Winnipeg and had picked Laine instead unless of course Winnipeg had Laine picked ahead of Matthews in the first place. Laine, to me anyways seems to be more of a dynamic player who plays with emotion whereas Matthews doesn't appear to have either of those qualities.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Laine vs Matthews

Post by GordonH »

Straight Shooter wrote:I'm just wondering if the Leafs management and scouting staff did a proper assessment between Patrik Laine and Auston Matthews at this years Entry Draft. Laine who scored his 17th goal of the season tonight tying him in the goal scoring lead with Sidney Crosby scores the majority of his goal from top of the face-off circle on a one timer whereas Matthews goals are scored right in front of the net. Somehow, I wished the Leafs had lost the Draft lottery to Winnipeg and had picked Laine instead unless of course Winnipeg had Laine picked ahead of Matthews in the first place. Laine, to me anyways seems to be more of a dynamic player who plays with emotion whereas Matthews doesn't appear to have either of those qualities.

Got look at biggest difference between Toronto & Winnipeg. That difference is Winnipeg has a lot more veteran players, meanwhile Toronto has large group of young NHL players.
Give it time & Mike will have Toronto looking like veteran team with young legs.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

From what I've seen, Matthews is more well rounded player. Laine is a sniper no doubt- similar to Ovechkin and scores from similar areas as well. Laine isn't much of a defensive player at all, and plays more selfishly imo.

I can't stand the Leafs anyways...so I don't care if Matthews pans out or not. But I do enjoy watching Laine play and score the type of goals he's been getting.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I think you're looking at a very small sample size to pass judgment on. Also keep in mind, that while Laine has six more points than Matthews, he's also played four more games. As both teams are playing .500 hockey, I don't think you can say one is benefiting more from their player than the other is. GordonH also made a good point about the players each one is used with. They are in different situations. Swap them and you might well see Matthews with more than 17 goals, who knows.

As for the choice the Maple Leafs made...considering how much they had riding on this draft pick, it's safe to say they evaluated both players adequately. "Dynamic" is a word used by people trying to sell you on watching a hockey game. It's meant to evoke a feeling when you hear it, but it doesn't actually mean anything.

There's nothing wrong with wondering "what if", but this question may not have an answer for another 20 years.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to make any excuses for Matthews and my displeasure for his style of play, mainly being a soft player. After 25 games that the Leafs have played, Matthews has had a grand total of three hits all season and two of those came in yesterday's game against the Minnesota Wild. Like I said at 6'3" 220lbs there's no reason why he couldn't use his big body to his advantage. Hell, teammate Matt Martin gets three hits on one shift for bloody sake! People say that Mats Sudin wasn't a physical player either but name me a Swedish player who is. I'm surprised Don Cherry hasn't mentioned Matthews lack of physical play on HNIC Coaches Corner, but maybe he will in one of the up-coming segment.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Straight Shooter wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not going to make any excuses for Matthews and my displeasure for his style of play, mainly being a soft player. After 25 games that the Leafs have played, Matthews has had a grand total of three hits all season and two of those came in yesterday's game against the Minnesota Wild. Like I said at 6'3" 220lbs there's no reason why he couldn't use his big body to his advantage. Hell, teammate Matt Martin gets three hits on one shift for bloody sake! People say that Mats Sudin wasn't a physical player either but name me a Swedish player who is. I'm surprised Don Cherry hasn't mentioned Matthews lack of physical play on HNIC Coaches Corner, but maybe he will in one of the up-coming segment.

Maybe ask Mike Babcock why he's not having Mathews hitting more, instead of waiting on Don Cherry.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

GordonH wrote:Maybe ask Mike Babcock why he's not having Mathews hitting more, instead of waiting on Don Cherry.

Well, if I was one of the numerous hockey beat writers following the Leafs then I would certainly ask that question to Coach Babcock. And it would go something like this. "Mike, are you concern at all about the lack of physical play by some of your younger players in particular Auston Matthews and Williams Nylander? After last nights game both players have a grand total of eight hits between the two of them after 25 games." In regards to Don Cherry who follows the Leafs pretty closely, I am a little surprised that he hasn't come out and questioned the lack of grit between these two young players but then again Matthews is an American born player and Nylanders is a Canadian born player whose Father happens to be Swedish.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Maybe ask Mike Babcock why he's not having Mathews hitting more, instead of waiting on Don Cherry.

Straight Shooter wrote:Well, if I was one of the numerous hockey beat writers following the Leafs then I would certainly ask that question to Coach Babcock. And it would go something like this. "Mike, are you concern at all about the lack of physical play by some of your younger players in particular Auston Matthews and Williams Nylander? After last nights game both players have a grand total of eight hits between the two of them after 25 games." In regards to Don Cherry who follows the Leafs pretty closely, I am a little surprised that he hasn't come out and questioned the lack of grit between these two young players but then again Matthews is an American born player and Nylanders is a Canadian born player whose Father happens to be Swedish.

I'm assuming you are Leaf's fan, give it time. That team is on rebuild, as long as Harold's ghost stays were they belong it should work out in the end.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

GordonH wrote:I'm assuming you are Leaf's fan, give it time. That team is on rebuild, as long as Harold's ghost stays were they belong it should work out in the end.

Yes your right Gordon, I'm a huge Leaf fan 50 years and counting. I think the thing that gets me all puffed up is when I see a young kid like Mitch Marner who like Matthews is also 19 years old, out on the ice busting his butt off, blocking shots, taking the body and putting on a spectacular show while Matthews who is much bigger and stronger not showing me what I would like to see in a number one over-all pick. It seems like Matthews would rather play out of the lime light in Torono in a hockey market like Arizona for example. It's funny that I came across the following article today penned by Gary Lawless of TSN comparing both Matthews and Laine.

http://www.tsn.ca/laine-will-end-up-a-s ... s-1.626863
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I'm not overly a believer in advanced statistics, but one reason (not the only reason but part) Matthews has fewer hits than Laine (or Matt Martin for that matter) is that the Maple Leafs possess the puck more when he is on the ice.

Leafs have the puck 54% of the time when Matthews is on the ice. You don't deliver bodychecks when your team has the puck. At least not legal ones.

Jets have the puck 46% of the time when Laine is on the ice. Again, I'm not saying Matthews is just as physical as Laine is, but that is a substantial possession difference.

Laine has 32 giveaways and 19 takeaways.

Matthews has 14 giveaways and 25 takeaways. Big difference in giveaways, isn't it?

Another question I'd have, is the forechecking system each team employs. As a winger, Laine's role in the Jets' system may be to forecheck more. As a centre, Matthews may be used more as a "3rd man high" which would result in him hitting less. I don't see enough of either team to know if this is the case, but it could be. Or maybe Matthews is the one who gets himself open while others retrieve the puck.

The Gary Lawless article is interesting. It does lead to the question...maybe Laine is the better player, but would the Leafs be better off if they'd taken him instead?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JayByrd wrote:I'm not overly a believer in advanced statistics, but one reason (not the only reason but part) Matthews has fewer hits than Laine (or Matt Martin for that matter) is that the Maple Leafs possess the puck more when he is on the ice.

Leafs have the puck 54% of the time when Matthews is on the ice. You don't deliver bodychecks when your team has the puck. At least not legal ones.

Jets have the puck 46% of the time when Laine is on the ice. Again, I'm not saying Matthews is just as physical as Laine is, but that is a substantial possession difference.

Laine has 32 giveaways and 19 takeaways.

Matthews has 14 giveaways and 25 takeaways.
Big difference in giveaways, isn't it?

Another question I'd have, is the forechecking system each team employs. As a winger, Laine's role in the Jets' system may be to forecheck more. As a centre, Matthews may be used more as a "3rd man high" which would result in him hitting less. I don't see enough of either team to know if this is the case, but it could be. Or maybe Matthews is the one who gets himself open while others retrieve the puck.

The Gary Lawless article is interesting. It does lead to the question...maybe Laine is the better player, but would the Leafs be better off if they'd taken him instead?

For a very young player in NHL leading your team (being #6 in the league) in take aways (Matthews), imo is very good sign for the future. (anyone can body check, its true talent to be able take away the puck on the fly, as well not cough it up/give away)

Added later: I suspect Mike wants that to continue and if possible get even better, if Matthews could improve his face-off percentage he would be centre to watch out for.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

I'm wondering, did anyone catch the HNIC After Hours segment last Saturday with Patrik Laine as their guest? Anyway, Laine seemed very uncomfortable at times almost at the point of being agitated by some of the questions that Scott Oaks was asking. So, what happens the next night at the score tied at 2-2 in the third period with the Edmonton Oilers? Laine, scores into his own net on a shot that seems he was actually shooting at the opposition net. Never seen anything like that in hockey where someone actually purposely shoots into his own net thinking it's the other teams goal. Don't know what was going through the young man's mind at that particular time but hopefully this doesn't have a long lasting affect on his mind moving forward.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:For a very young player in NHL leading your team (being #6 in the league) in take aways (Matthews), imo is very good sign for the future. (anyone can body check, its true talent to be able take away the puck on the fly, as well not cough it up/give away)

Added later: I suspect Mike wants that to continue and if possible get even better, if Matthews could improve his face-off percentage he would be centre to watch out for.

Matthews' giveaway/takeaway numbers IMO are a direct result of his hockey upbringing. As a teenager, Auston played tons of 3 on 3 hockey on 2/3 size rinks, against men. It forced him to learn how to handle the puck and make things happen with very little room to work.

The faceoff wins will come in time. For as long as I can remember, the top faceoff players in the NHL have almost always been veterans. Experience seems to be a huge key in that department.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Matthews was so good in the World Cup...

I am so happy to see such amazing talent enter the NHL in the last 2 years...

Reminds me of when Sydney and Ovi entered.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

One of these two players, Matthews or Laine will be the first in NHL's history to win the Calder Trophy two years in a row.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”