Kelowna Rockets: The real issues...

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
mpeterec

Kelowna Rockets: The real issues...

Post by mpeterec »

The real issues within the Kelowna Rockets this season do not stem from Riley Stadel, nor Jonathan Smart, nor a lack of returning players (the lack of production isn't just because of a missing Rourke Chartier or Justin Kirkland, FYI), or whatever other fictitious boogeyman that the devoted fans are complaining about this year. The problem is Jason Smith. Period. End of story. No questions asked. This team is mismanaged and poorly coached -- stop pretending otherwise.

Our power play is a failed experiment, and our PIMs are the highest in the WHL. Anyone who has ever played hockey at a competitive level can tell you that poor power play production and high PIMs are a result of poor systems. Ridiculously high PIMs are because players are out of position and have to take petty infractions in order to make up for the places on the ice in which they were supposed to be in the first place. And if you're going to tell me that a power play consisting of Cal Foote, Lucas Johansen, Calvin Thurkauf, Nick Merkley and Kole Lind isn't among the best in the league (if not THE best), then you're sadly mistaken. Those 5, given the right systems, should be capitalizing on 1 of every 3 opportunities presented to them. The talent exists, the guidance does not.

So, let's break things down one by one...

Our beloved Rockets started the season off with 19 returning players this year, 8 of which were at NHL camps to kick the season off. Both of those numbers are more than any other team in the WHL. Last year we went to a conference final with our starting goaltender out of the lineup. I'd consider that a successful season, especially with the likes of a missing Leon Draisatl, Madison Bowey, Cole Martin, etc. One can only assume that with the majority of returning players and added NHL developmental experience that we would be exponentially better moving into '16-'17. But we are not. We are worse, far worse. As many people wanted to rake Brad Ralph over the coals time and time again, Brad produced results in uncharted territory in a brand new environment. Had Brad been given a 2nd year and allowed the freedom and flexibility within the club that he rightfully deserved, we would be discussing the Rockets within the same sentence as the Silver Tips or the Pats. But instead we're clinging onto a 3rd place spot in our division with the Royals hot on our heels and ready to pass us at any given moment. Bringing in a 3rd string player from the AHL will not turn this team into a playoff contender unless someone is guiding this team in the manner which the players, the organization, and the city of Kelowna deserves.You could bring Austin Matthews down to the Rockets and it still wouldn't turn us into a contender, at least not under Jason Smith.

Nick Merkley looks lost and confused this year (a far cry from the Nick Merkley that dominated this league under the guidance of Dan Lambert), Lucas Johansen hasn't developed one iota since the Capitals pulled him in the 1st round last year, and why Rodney Southam continues to be Captain of this team after an endless array of dismal penalties game after game is beyond me. A strong work ethic does not automatically translate to captaincy; leadership does. Taking however many pointless 10-minute misconducts isn't leadership. Leading by example is leadership. I cannot express how many fans sitting in the same section as myself game after game state these same obvious matters countless times over. The fans can see it, so why can't the ownership?

A further look at the numbers of the players this year only serves to prove the point I'm trying to make:

- Nick Merkley produced 90 points 2 seasons ago, averaging him out at 1.25 PPG. This was the year he was pulled in the 1st round to Arizona, and based on that Nick should be on the cusp of leading this league in points this year. But he's not, he's averaging 0.81 PPG now and looks like a shadow of his old self. Is this because of Nick, or is this because whoever is telling Nick what to do is lending all of the wrong advice? Nick used to pile drive other players through the boards, control the puck beautifully, and make the cleanest passes & plays that I've witness in years of following this franchise. What happened?

- Lucas Johansen had 10 goals and 49 points last year, this year he's on pace for 2 goals and 39 points. Lucas is a better defenceman than what the numbers show, period. Remember the kind of +/- Cole Martin used to have during his time with the Rockets? That's where Lucas should be. He's good enough, he's smart enough, so why don't the numbers speak in his favour?

- Ridel Stadel put up 43 points 2 seasons prior (under Dan Lambert) and was on pace for 17 this year. Ridel Stadel has a tremendous work ethic, skates well and has a decent set of hands. Why was he our designated 'tough guy' this year and only saw around 8-9 minutes of ice time per game?

- Dillon Dube is on pace for about 11-12 goals this year, last year he put up 26. Dillon has every ability in the world to be a 40+ goal scorer but he falls into the came category as Nick in that he looks confused with whatever is going on while he's on the ice and has a coach that doesn't enforce the fact that he should be shooting the puck more. Dillon has a cannon for a shot, so why isn't it being utilized?

- Tanner Wishnowski put up 2 points in 10 games under the guidance of Jason, he has 8 points in 13 games with Spokane. Sure, he might be seeing more ice time with Spokane but at the end of the day the numbers are what they are. The numbers are better with Spokane, Spoken is a lesser team than the Rockets

- Jonathan Smart, who I felt was the future of this organization, is now thriving in Regina after not getting near the ice time he warranted here in Kelowna. Jonathan is a unique breed in that he's the true definition of stay-at-home D-man. Think Jay Bowmeester, and this is what Jonathan Smart will be come in 5 years. Jonathan had 7 points in 24 games under Smith and was a modest +9. Since going to Regina he's put up 12 points in 14 games and is already +19. Again, the numbers do NOT lie.

This could turn into a lengthier story than it already has but I'll conclude with the aforementioned numbers. Opinions change, debates can be brought forth, but the numbers always tell the real deal. We're over-penalized, our top guns aren't performing, and we're losing a host of games to teams we shouldn't be losing games to. That's the reality of it, those are the facts. Give the players someone that actually has some realm of coaching experience rather than just being an assistant in Ottawa for 2 years and then getting turfed. Kelowna deserves better, but more importantly the kids who wear the Rockets jersey that have worked their whole lives for this opportunity deserve better.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Kelowna Rockets: The real issues...

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I had absolutely no issues with coach Brad Ralph, issues happen behind the scenes with ownership.
Brad is down in Florida having good success with Everblades of ECHL.

Added later: I would have liked to have seen what Dan Lambert would have done in his second season as head coach with club, hey you get opportunity to be in the NHL going to take it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

I would have liked to see Dan Lambert stay but gotta grab opportunity. So is it really the coaching or the management?
mpeterec

Post by mpeterec »

just popping in wrote:I would have liked to see Dan Lambert stay but gotta grab opportunity. So is it really the coaching or the management?

If specific players are performing exponentially better under a past coach (at a younger age) than they are with their current coach, you could make a probable assumption that the coach would be the catalyst to the lack of production, growth, development, etc. It's not a random coincidence that top rank players (Dube, Merkley and Johansen) aren't living up to their potential under Jason but were thriving under both Lambert and Ralph.

As for Lambert moving on, there's no doubt that the job he was offered was his for the taking. All the power to him for jumping on top of it, honestly. But grabbing a long-term NHL retiree that had lackluster production and not one iota of head coaching experience was a mistake. It's absolutely no shock that Brad Ralph is performing well in the ECHL right now (23 W, 7 L to be specific)

Match up the talent pool on the Rockets with any team in this league and we're just as good, if not better. The stats don't reflect it, neither does the record. The catalyst to this poor performance falls on the shoulders of one, and it's not difficult to see who it is.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Dillon Dube is actually on pace for 30 goals and 75 pts, pro-rated to a full season. Both would be modest improvements over last year. You also passed over the fact that Kole Lind and Calvin Thurkauf, and to an extent, Cal Foote, are scoring at a much greater pace than last season. I know those facts wouldn't serve your point but they should be mentioned if we're being fair.

You mention Tanner Wishnowski's improved production after being traded to the Spokane Chiefs. He was apparently not overly valued there as he has since been traded to the Prince George Cougars, for a conditional 8th round draft pick. This is arguably less value than Spokane originally gave up to get him from Kelowna. I don't know but I suspect the condition is games played this year, or perhaps making the Cougars next year as a 20 yr old. I have no problem with Tanner as a hockey player, but IMO he's a marginal player at the WHL level, and no coach is going to change that at age 19. Spokane is also inferior to the Rockets by all the same metrics you're using...are they really a better-coached team in that case?

I don't necessarily disagree with you OP but I do suspect you're over-relying on statistical data. I also suspect some of the more advanced statistics (which many WHL teams do keep but are not published) might tell a different story. I really don't know though.

I also disagree with your assumption that management is not aware of these issues. If you've noticed, they have too. Or rather, he has, since the Rockets management, as far as hockey operations, is essentially one person.

If Jason Smith was fired today, who would you replace him with? If your answer is somewhere along the lines of "I don't know", maybe Bruce Hamilton arrived at that same conclusion.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
mpeterec

Post by mpeterec »

Jay, you raise valid points and there's little that you're saying that I can offer a rebuttal towards. Of course I didn't have time to micro-analyze every facet of the organization and both of my aforementioned posts were in the midst of a less-than-impressed-with-Jason-Smith sort of mood. There's some key aspects missing this year -- ultimately I believe they fall in the hands of the coach, though. I guess a lot of what I was attempting to convey is hard to find the right set of words for. After all, seeing is believing. And coming from a lengthy hockey background and many years of watching a successful Rockets team, there's some obvious issues that are occurring that you'll notice after watching just a handful of periods. I don't have the right words, and I certainly can't lend a play-by-play for each of the 60 minutes in each game. Something is just wrong, and something is just plain old missing. Watch a few games and the problems are clear as a summer's day in sunny Kelowna.

Tonight against Moose Jaw, for example, was yet another failed experiment of our power play. Of our multiple PPs were two separate 5-on-3 opportunities, neither of which were capitalized upon. There was also a 4 minute PP in the 1st that we missed the mark on as well. Monday's game against Everett saw our PK fail on 3 of Everett's first 4 attempts which is a grossly dismal stat. Who was in the box during one of those? None other than our fearless leader Rodney Southam who seems to have an uncanny ability to take pointless, petty infractions at all the wrong times. Time to find a new captain, period.

Additionally, I fail to see the value in making a whole ordeal of blockbuster trades at the deadline this year. Why are we giving away the farm for a team that isn't making a Memorial Cup run? The reality is in the best of instances (again, under the guidance of Jason) we wouldn't be getting past the 3rd round and after these back to back losses I'm not even sure if we'll make it past the 2nd. Player for player, we have a championship team -- no questions asked. However, with the lack of coaching and failed systems in place I can't seem to find a reason for giving away high-value draft picks for players that are going to spend a half season here and head back to the AHL. Big trades and dishing off draft picks is reserved for teams like Regina, PG, Everett and so on. These teams are legitimate contenders this year, thus, they should be making legitimate deals that could propel them into the depths of the Memorial Cup.

I guess the only positive at this stage is that Jason has no excuses to lend for not producing a championship this year. Every single key to a successful team is now in place -- Thurkauf, Merkley, Johanson, Foote, Gardiner, Dube, Lind, etc. If the Kelowna Rockets bow out of the 1st or 2nd round this year, then the onus fall's strictly on the shoulders of one. There will be nowhere else to point the finger, and the decision that needs to be made moving into the '17-'18 season will be crystal clear.

As for a replacement, as outlandish as this may sound, Mark Crawford would fit the mold here entirely. I don't doubt for a second that Mr. Hamilton is cutting a healthy cheque to the bench boss and Crawford spent ample time in BC over the years. I don't think that selling him on the notion of the Okanagan would be overly difficult. Maybe that's a pipe dream, perhaps there's other factors at play that wouldn't allow for that to happen, but it is a suggestion nonetheless
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

They (the Rockets) certainly looked asleep at the wheel last night, except for the odd 5 minutes here and there
mpeterec

Post by mpeterec »

Another dismal/disappointing loss to the worst team in the West, giving us a total of 3 wins in our past 10 games. At least our PIMs continue to remain the highest in the league... I guess that accounts for something
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

mpeterec wrote:Jay, you raise valid points and there's little that you're saying that I can offer a rebuttal towards. Of course I didn't have time to micro-analyze every facet of the organization and both of my aforementioned posts were in the midst of a less-than-impressed-with-Jason-Smith sort of mood. There's some key aspects missing this year -- ultimately I believe they fall in the hands of the coach, though. I guess a lot of what I was attempting to convey is hard to find the right set of words for. After all, seeing is believing. And coming from a lengthy hockey background and many years of watching a successful Rockets team, there's some obvious issues that are occurring that you'll notice after watching just a handful of periods. I don't have the right words, and I certainly can't lend a play-by-play for each of the 60 minutes in each game. Something is just wrong, and something is just plain old missing. Watch a few games and the problems are clear as a summer's day in sunny Kelowna.

I certainly don't expect you to provide ultra-detailed analysis from the stands. And I don't even go to games, so likewise, I can't refute what you're saying. The way you constructed your post set off some alarm bells for me, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. Different coaches have different styles...some tend to work with what they've got, others try to mold the team itself to the style that they coach. Both methods can work, both can fail.

Jason Smith is the 4th coach in 4 seasons. Bruce Hamilton will be very reluctant to make it 5 in 5, even if he's got a good reason to. The Rockets haven't had that kind of coaching instability since before Marc Habscheid. Huska and Lambert departing makes the organization look good, not bad, but if Bruce Hamilton makes a move now (or this summer), he's admitting he picked the wrong guy twice in a row. Not many execs will want to do that, even if it's true.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
mpeterec

Post by mpeterec »

JayByrd wrote:I certainly don't expect you to provide ultra-detailed analysis from the stands. And I don't even go to games, so likewise, I can't refute what you're saying. The way you constructed your post set off some alarm bells for me, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. Different coaches have different styles...some tend to work with what they've got, others try to mold the team itself to the style that they coach. Both methods can work, both can fail.

Jason Smith is the 4th coach in 4 seasons. Bruce Hamilton will be very reluctant to make it 5 in 5, even if he's got a good reason to. The Rockets haven't had that kind of coaching instability since before Marc Habscheid. Huska and Lambert departing makes the organization look good, not bad, but if Bruce Hamilton makes a move now (or this summer), he's admitting he picked the wrong guy twice in a row. Not many execs will want to do that, even if it's true.

The issue is that even if Jason wants to mold the team to the style he wants to coach, he doesn't have a clue what that style is because he's never been a head coach. His "coaching" consists of 2 season as an assistant in Ottawa that led to nowhere. How does this qualify him to run a team that should be a total powerhouse in the WHL? It doesn't, period.

It's becoming clear as day at this point that passing on Rich Matvichuk (who is now leading Prince George to the top of the West) was a colossal mistake. And I'd much, much prefer to see a 5th coach in 5 years as opposed to suffering in the stands with this nonsense, all the while watching some incredible up-and-comers waste their Junior careers away due to the lack of guidance which they're receiving

I'm curious, what exactly was the criteria Mr. Hamilton had in place when he selected Jason? He had 40+ applications come down the pipe, so what specifically was it that made him choose Jason over the others? Seems like he was more concerned with saying he had a 20-year NHL veteran behind the bench than someone who actually had a coaching pedigree. Let's not forget that Wayne Gretzky's coaching career was a dismal failure as well -- just because someone paid their dues as a player in the big leagues doesn't qualify them to develop younger talents

Disappointed, to say the least. Losing to the Giants only exemplified how grossly flawed this system is

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”