Bull Rider On His Way To Top Passes Away

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Bubalouie
Guru

Bull Rider On His Way To Top Passes Away

Post by Bubalouie »

The family of a champion B.C. bull rider who died this week says people should be aware of the implications of head injuries.

Ty Pozzobon, 25, was found dead Monday morning at his home outside Merritt.

The BC Coroners Service says the death was not suspicious.

“It’s important that people know about the implications of head injuries as a result of concussions,” says his mother, Leanne Pozzobon, in a statement sent to media.

Pozzobon leaves behind a sister, wife, and many relatives and close friends, says the family.

Details of his funeral are not yet available. The family has requested donations be made to the Rider Relief Fund, in lieu of flowers.

Pozzobon graduated from Merritt Secondary School. He'd gained world renown in recent years as a result of his success on the Canadian professional bull-riding circuits. In 2016, he won the PBR Canada title and finished fourth at the PBR World Finals in Las Vegas in November.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Bull Rider On His Way To Top Passes Away

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Post by Straight Shooter »

Even though Ty Pozzobon has been wearing a helmet for the last few years, that hasn't always the case with him and many other bull riders on the professional level. I had the opportunity this past November to attend my first PBR Finals in Las Vegas and witnessed the first two performances which on the second day saw Ty and Brazilian Guilherme Marchi split first place with a pair of 89.5 point scores. Head injuries are quite common in the sport of bull riding and it's only a matter of time that helmets are made manitory for the sport to continue. The majority of the top Brazilians riders haven't really embraced wearing protected head gear probably because of the "cowboy tradition" of wearing cowboy hats, but that needs to change and it will.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Helmets don't always offer a ton of protection from concussions.

Concussions result from the brain "sloshing" against the inside of the skull on impact. A helmet will protect the skin and skull from direct damage, but it doesn't stop the movement that causes the brain to hit the skull.

I'm not saying there's no point in wearing a helmet, but as we've seen in hockey and football, they are little defense against brain injuries.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ exactly JayByrd, only way to protect ones self from concussion is don't engage in activities known to have the possibility of getting a concussion.

That would remove long list of activities/work or professions.

My condolences to his Family and Friends.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote:^^^ exactly JayByrd, only way to protect ones self from concussion is don't engage in activities known to have the possibility of getting a concussion.

That would remove long list of activities/work or professions.

Agreed. It's what makes this such a frustrating issue.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”