Looking at buying quads or quad and side by side

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
gsc
Board Meister

Looking at buying quads or quad and side by side

Post by gsc »

This summer I am going to be buying a quad and side by side or possibly 2 quads for my self and wife. What would you recommend personally.
We will be useing them for
Hunting, fishing, camping, forest clean up's, playing on and exploring, snow removal once and a while the list go's on. We will also be looking to go out with new people and just have a blast.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Looking at buying quads or quad and side by side

Post by vegas1500 »

gsc wrote:This summer I am going to be buying a quad and side by side or possibly 2 quads for my self and wife. What would you recommend personally.
We will be useing them for
Hunting, fishing, camping, forest clean up's, playing on and exploring, snow removal once and a while the list go's on. We will also be looking to go out with new people and just have a blast.

Lots of options. Depends what brand, how much you want to spend, what type of riding, etc? I have owned many Polaris sportsman quads and have had great luck with them. They ride incredibly well and have a great 4wd system. The new BRP side by side (M3 I think) is an amazing machine but maybe more than you want. The RZR is a proven machine.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I was looking at the Polaris rzr 570 they look good from all the videos I have seen. As for a quad I am looking at the 700/800 cc mark. The price I'm looking at really depends on the if I get used or new. I had also went and looked at a new grizzly as well. I have spent some time on here looking through the classifieds but I see lots of people also selling for the same price as bran new.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

gsc wrote:I was looking at the Polaris rzr 570 they look good from all the videos I have seen. As for a quad I am looking at the 700/800 cc mark. The price I'm looking at really depends on the if I get used or new. I had also went and looked at a new grizzly as well. I have spent some time on here looking through the classifieds but I see lots of people also selling for the same price as bran new.

I too have looked for used but always end up,with new for that exact reason. The grizzly is a great proven machine. If you look at the Polaris look at the 850, not 800...IMO a much better power plant. I myself don't like the side X sides as I find the ride hard on my lower back due to the seating position. I can ride my sportsman 1000 in the trails for 8 hours and have no issues. The Sportsman 2 up is nice (even if you ride solo) because it has a longer wheel base and rides even nicer. The Polaris has a great racking system with integrated storage options. Look at a few and see the differences.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

2 quads. Once you get into it neither of you will want to be a passenger.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

JLives wrote:2 quads. Once you get into it neither of you will want to be a passenger.

Yeah that's why I am look at 2 and not one. I am looking at getting my wife a quad but not sure if I want a side x side or quad. I know a few people with side x sides and absolutely love them on the same hand I know people with quads and they love them as well. Its a tough choice.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

vegas1500 wrote: side X sides as I find the ride hard on my lower back due to the seating position.

The one biggie plenty of people overlook.

On a quad one is able to let the machine jostle around with contact points
being hands and feet.

Strapped into a side bi side, you get the full body jostle. through all your contact points.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

dirtybiker wrote:
vegas1500 wrote: side X sides as I find the ride hard on my lower back due to the seating position.

The one biggie plenty of people overlook.

On a quad one is able to let the machine jostle around with contact points
being hands and feet.

Strapped into a side bi side, you get the full body jostle. through all your contact points.

That is a very good point. Also if stuck a quad will be lighter and easier to get un stuck.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Winches are cheap
04FX4

Post by 04FX4 »

BRP all the way.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

So I talked to a buddy of mine and now am gonna go look at 2 new KingQuad 750 AXi. I have buddy who owns a good local shop who is also gonna work on a few diffrent packages for me to look at as well. No side x side tho after really looking into it all I am gonna pass on that idea.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

gsc wrote:So I talked to a buddy of mine and now am gonna go look at 2 new KingQuad 750 AXi.

I've owned numerous ATV's, and spent a lot of hours riding with folks who own all different brands. I think you'll really enjoy the machines.

King Quad is a great choice and would be on my shortlist. However, I recommend you consider a smaller machine for your wife. The 500AXi still has lots of grunt, but is lighter and easier to handle and also a little cheaper. I don't know how your wife rides, but most (like mine) are happier with a mid-sized ride.

Regarding brands - You really can't go wrong with any of the big name brands. However, the different brands all have pro's and con's that you should consider so that you select the brand that most fits your needs. Ignore any advice that doesn't start with a query about what your riding style is and what you want in a machine. I'll put a list of the pro's and con's below. All of this being generalized and based on machines from the last 5 or 8 years.

Chinese (various):
Pro - Cheap. Typically 1/2 the price of the other brands.
Con - Just about everything else. Reliability and availability of parts are the biggest problem. Performance typically isn't great.

Arctic Cat and Polaris:
Pro - Price point. These machines are 20% cheaper than the other brands.
Con - Reliability. Way better than Chinese and at least parts are available. But noticeably less reliable than the other brands. Otherwise they're very comparable with regard to performance, technology, etc.

CanAm/Bombardier Racing Products(BRP):
Pro - Performance and Technology. These rides make significantly more power than the competitors and usually have the newest features and technology.
Con - Price. These products are noticeably more expensive. About 20% more on average.

Honda:
Pro - Reliability and resale value.
Con - Performance. Honda's make less power and tend to use older technology. The 400 CamAm makes the same amount of power as the 680 Honda. Honda was the last to adopt IRS, last to adopt Power Steering, etc. Honda is not the innovator they used to be.

Kawasaki:
Small Pro - Performance. These rides tend to make a little more power than the others. A good choice if you like speed but can't afford the CanAm price tag.
Small Con - Reliability. With the added performance, they tend to break a little more often. Especially when you start adding larger and more aggressive tires. Should still be considered a reliable ride tho and still better than Polaris or Arctic Cat.

Suzuki and Yamaha:
Pro: Reliability. These machines are known for being tanks and just as reliable as a Honda. Really, all of the name brands are reliable but Suzuki, Yamaha, and Honda seem to be a little more reliable than the others.
Con: Performance. These machines typically have a little less power than the others (but still more power than a Honda).

About the only machine I tend not to recommend is the Honda. Not because it's a bad machine, but because you could get a Suzuki or Yamaha that's just as reliable as the Honda but does have better performance. This coming from a guy who owns a Honda ;)
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I like your wright up. I have been in and out of a few places and have made my final decision. I have looked at price, parts available and pricing on parts, warranty, and over all customer service.

I have looked at used and people are asking just shy of full retail on there stuff so bran new is what we are going to do.

We have decided to go with
2017 ARCTIC CAT ALTERRA TRV XT. The rear seat comes off very easy and can have a box put on or other items. The quad seams to be quiet and ride nice. It has enough power for every thing we do or need as well.
We will also be getting a
2017 ARCTIC CAT PROWLER 500 side x side. This side x side is almost the same wheel base as a quad and will work amazing come hunting season. It has a dump box on the back and has a bench seat so both kids can go as well.
I looked at the faster ones and more sleek ones but we really don't need one for racing down roads or trails with. This one will work great for every thing we do and need.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

Very nice!

I'm a little concerned that you'll outgrow the prowler and be wanting to upgrade in a couple of years. But I'm sure it'll do the job and keep you happy for a few years at least as you gain more experience with the sport.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Kalvin K wrote:Very nice!

I'm a little concerned that you'll outgrow the prowler and be wanting to upgrade in a couple of years. But I'm sure it'll do the job and keep you happy for a few years at least as you gain more experience with the sport.

The prowler we are gonna use just for puttingaround in the bush and camping. It is a bit small but bang for buck it's over all a good little rig. The wife likes it as she is 4'11 so it fits her very nice as well and our 2 kids.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”