What qualifies as a "Generational Player"

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
RupertBear
Übergod

What qualifies as a "Generational Player"

Post by RupertBear »

I found it interesting that prior to last year's NHL draft, the so-called experts were cautioning everyone not to hang the label of "generational player" on Austen Matthews.
Then Toronto drafts him and all of a sudden all the Leaf fans and Toronto media are calling him a generational player.
I'm sorry, leave that tag for players like Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby and (probably) McDavid.
Matthews is and will continue to be a very good player. He will be on par with Stamkos, Tavares and Karlsson -- all very good players, but not generational players.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
Woodenhead
Guru

Re: What qualifies as a "Generational Player"

Post by Woodenhead »

If he went anywhere other than Toronto, he wouldn't be getting that label. But Toronto is as Toronto does.
Your bias suits you.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Woodenhead wrote:If he went anywhere other than Toronto, he wouldn't be getting that label. But Toronto is as Toronto does.

Well you gotta understand, they literally have not had a good player since Mats Sundin in his prime. That's a lot of years to go without any talent.

Literally 15 years or so without even 1 great player
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

"Generational player" is a made-up, arbitrary thing. I don't pay any mind to stuff like that.

I suppose though, if I had to define it, it would be someone who's abilities and accomplishments are substantially better than their peers. A Big gap between the best player and the second best.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

fvkasm2x wrote:
Woodenhead wrote:If he went anywhere other than Toronto, he wouldn't be getting that label. But Toronto is as Toronto does.

Well you gotta understand, they literally have not had a good player since Mats Sundin in his prime. That's a lot of years to go without any talent.

Literally 15 years or so without even 1 great player

Yeah, so that means that making up BS is just fine for the maple laffs. [icon_lol2.gif]
Your bias suits you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ as long as Ownership backs hell off in TML, lets the current management have total control. I only see good things coming out of Leafs. But if ownership fu :cuss: around as in the past, Toronto will go nowhere.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

GordonH wrote:^^^ as long as Ownership backs hell off in TML, lets the current management have total control. I only see good things coming out of Leafs. But if ownership fu :cuss: around as in the past, Toronto will go nowhere.

They have an excellent coach and a great GM stocking the cupboard. The future is brighter for the Leafs now than in the past 20 years. Just let the players develop without putting undue pressure on them by making labels they can't live up to.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”