Kelowna needs an indoor track!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Kelowna needs an indoor track!

Post by kgcayenne »

Kelowna is all about sitting on yer butt drinking wine or craft beer after yoga. You aren’t going to find the kind of facility you are seeking, just like the only place you’re going to find culture in Kelowna is in the dairy section.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 20th, 2018, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the personal attack.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Fun means different things to different people. Kelowna is not known for fun that can be had without a drink. You’d find my version of fun boring as hell, and I don’t give a flying rip. Embrace your version of having fun and own it, no need to get defensive.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

not defensive at all I don't go to wineries I also don't slag people that do most comments I read from you are slagging people in Kelowna not sure why you stay here really, as far as an indoor track goes theres no where near enough use for the cost involved to build it in this area when theres one in Kamloops and I'm sure at least one on the coast
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

LTD wrote:not defensive at all I don't go to wineries I also don't slag people that do most comments I read from you are slagging people in Kelowna not sure why you stay here really, as far as an indoor track goes theres no where near enough use for the cost involved to build it in this area when theres one in Kamloops and I'm sure at least one on the coast

The OP simply chose the wrong community and would have a greater chance to train elsewhere. I stay because no place is ideal, the same characters are in every community, and to choose another community to improve culture would have some sort of trade-off. Same crap, different pile. I do what I like here, and gave up on looking to the city or people (infinitely disappointing) for a means to enjoy myself. Pursuing creative interests can be done with imagination.
MicSarf

Post by MicSarf »

It's sad that some feel the need to belittle other peoples interests and sports. I guess it makes them feel big and tough inside.
I love Kelowna and do not choose where I live based on wether there is an indoor track or not. I compete for fun and train based on the available facilities.

I was simply asking if people had any interest in one or if there were any plans in the works. It's a pretty common facility in many cities and not some out of this world unimaginably expensive project.

I agree that UBCO would be the best bet for something like this if it keeps growing and diversifying. I also think all that empty ugly space next to the Apple Bowl has potential.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

MicSarf wrote:It's sad that some feel the need to belittle other peoples interests and sports. I guess it makes them feel big and tough inside.
I love Kelowna and do not choose where I live based on wether there is an indoor track or not. I compete for fun and train based on the available facilities.

I was simply asking if people had any interest in one or if there were any plans in the works. It's a pretty common facility in many cities and not some out of this world unimaginably expensive project.

I agree that UBCO would be the best bet for something like this if it keeps growing and diversifying. I also think all that empty ugly space next to the Apple Bowl has potential.

I think that would be excellent if the sport grew in Kelowna and the rest of the country. I'm always a little disappointed by how much money and time we put into hockey in this country, and how little we invest in other sports. Would be nice to see how good we can compete with other countries in sports that the rest of the world takes part in.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

MicSarf wrote:

The UBCO is the best place, they already have the land, it is already remediated from a mostly defunct gravel operation.
And close to like minded individuals as well as the University connection to be in line with multi- jurisdiction competitions.

That big ugly space by the Apple Bowl happens to be hard pressed already to hold the amounts of vehicles,
team buses, and support trailers for existing events.

My last post was a tad condescending, for that I apologize.

Those that run in my circles of discipline also struggle with venues and properties where
we can hone our craft and hold competition.

Good luck, be prepared for enough bureaucratic red tape to choke a herd of elephants.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Mic Sarf, I apologize for the attitudes displayed by other posters. You simply asked if there was anything in the works that would suit your needs. You did not demand that a facility be built, or chastise the city for not already having one.

I do not know of any facility like that in the works for Kelowna. While I agree there have been and are elite level track and field athletes from Kelowna, I don't know that that group is big or influential enough to get such a thing built.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”