Kelowna needs an indoor track!

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
MicSarf

Kelowna needs an indoor track!

Post by MicSarf »

I am just wondering why Kelowna doesn't have a proper indoor track? When I first moved here last spring training at the Apple Bowl was great but as soon as the temperatures dropped I was disapointed at what Kelowna had to offer in terms of indoor tracks.
I am training as a competitive sprinter and the Capital News Center is just not appropriate for any sprints over 60 meters because the curves are way too tight! The surface also doesn't seem like it can handle spikes.
Kamloops has the Tournament Capital Center, it would be great if Kelowna had a similar facility!

Does anyone know if anything is in the works??
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Kelowna needs an indoor track!

Post by pbear »

I SO agree. Not only a track, but a quality indoor walking track for everyone. The one we have is so small and extremely noisy when the two fields below are in use. It is a concrete box that echoes.
I’d love to have a larger track with longer straightways and windows! Runners in some lanes, walkers in others.
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

pbear wrote:I SO agree. Not only a track, but a quality indoor walking track for everyone. The one we have is so small and extremely noisy when the two fields below are in use. It is a concrete box that echoes.
I’d love to have a larger track with longer straightways and windows! Runners in some lanes, walkers in others.

Because it's too hard to walk around curves without natural lighting?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

ya lets spend 60 million so people that are to fragile to run outside can run indoors, while we're at it lets build one for the pedal bikers oh and I would like to be able to ride my dirt bike in the winter so we should have an indoor facility for that it would also be super cool if I could wakeboard year round without a dry suit ..........
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe OP should take a look at Capital News Centre
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

GordonH wrote:Maybe OP should take a look at Capital News Centre

Last edited by johnny24 on Jan 20th, 2018, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

johnny24 wrote:

You mean the noisy place that has tight curves and is not appropriate for any sprints over 60M? I'm not certain, but I get the feeling the OP is a competitive sprinter, so he might not be able to use his spikes there.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

johnny24 wrote:You mean the noisy place that has tight curves and is not appropriate for any sprints over 60M? I'm not certain, but I get the feeling the OP is a competitive sprinter, so he might not be able to use his spikes there.

Closes thing to an indoor track in Kelowna, as of now. Hey those who what one, they are more then welcome to raise the funds to have one built.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MicSarf

Post by MicSarf »

LTD wrote:ya lets spend 60 million so people that are to fragile to run outside can run indoors, while we're at it lets build one for the pedal bikers oh and I would like to be able to ride my dirt bike in the winter so we should have an indoor facility for that it would also be super cool if I could wakeboard year round without a dry suit ..........

Your reply is completely out of context. What I am talking about is an IAAF indoor track where local Track and Field athletes can train properly indoors to compete both on the National and International level. Every major city in Canada has at least one or two (mostly attached to Universities), I am just saying that our region lacks this type of facility. The closest one being 2 hours away in Kamloops.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

well as has been said raise the money to build it we already have a facility for running i use it regularly without a problem, if universities normally have them perhaps approach the one here maybe theres a plan to build one
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

MicSarf wrote:
Your reply is completely out of context. What I am talking about is an IAAF indoor track where local Track and Field athletes can train properly indoors to compete both on the National and International level. Every major city in Canada has at least one or two (mostly attached to Universities), I am just saying that our region lacks this type of facility. The closest one being 2 hours away in Kamloops.

My opinion is that two large specialized facilities in a sparsely populated area is not necessary. If you are at this level, I assume you would be training almost full time, and then wouldn't Kamloops be a more suitable city for you to live in?
MicSarf

Post by MicSarf »

johnny24 wrote:
MicSarf wrote:

My opinion is that two large specialized facilities in a sparsely populated area is not necessary. If you are at this level, I assume you would be training almost full time, and then wouldn't Kamloops be a more suitable city for you to live in?

I personally am too old to be at that level haha! But I can assure you that we do have international level track and field athletes in Kelowna. I lived in Kamloops for over 3 years and would not wish it on any young person, no offence to anyone, I just didn't like the place.
The facility wouldn't need to be massive multi-sport facility. This is a picture of the York University track which is basically a big hangar.
All the comments about raising money and inquiring with the universities are good ideas. Kelowna is growing so fast and any Art/Sport oriented investments are in my opinion a step in the right direction.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

MicSarf wrote:
I personally am too old to be at that level haha! But I can assure you that we do have international level track and field athletes in Kelowna. I lived in Kamloops for over 3 years and would not wish it on any young person, no offence to anyone, I just didn't like the place.
The facility wouldn't need to be massive multi-sport facility. This is a picture of the York University track which is basically a big hangar.
All the comments about raising money and inquiring with the universities are good ideas. Kelowna is growing so fast and any Art/Sport oriented investments are in my opinion a step in the right direction.

I agree that living in Kamloops is not desirable, but I know high level athletes travel a lot farther than 2 hours in Canada to do their training. I'm not sure if the new indoor facility in Rutland will have any sort of track. I think they are building that for soccer only, but putting a track around the field might have been useful.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If this type of facility is usually at a University then maybe you should approach UBCO and see if they are looking at building one.

Other than that I don't know if there is a large enough need for one here.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

LTD wrote: oh and I would like to be able to ride my dirt bike in the winter so we should have an indoor facility for that ..........

I'd buy that for a dollar !

If City Park was domed it would make a great multi- discipline dirt bike arena.

With a view !

I can see it now..

Motocross, enduro-cross, flat-track, flat drags, rhythm drags, trials, ice.
It'll be grand !
Competitors from all over the World, International events.

Lots of locals are allready doing this, many have to travel half the
Continent and Planet to train and compete.

eta; dollars to donuts more people here do these things than run around in circles.

Good luck in your search for a place to train suitable to your requirements.
The struggles are real !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”